1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hybrid battery issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sharnold, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced a engine in a 2007 prius for a customer.... now the issue I worked out the other codes i pulled the first night i let it run
    P0300
    P0301
    P0303
    P0A80
    Now the downfall the 12volt battery is new but the HV is on the dreaded last purple mark and at no avail without the cvt cranking the engine or the engine charging the HV by driving I'm stuck. The HV cells are all still good but I need to crank the car but due to the owners neglect of a blown head gasket running it in battery mode I need the HV battery to turn the cvt to start the car........ any ideas guys other than hoping the stealership has a charger and it's off my time and labor

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    grid charger?

SFO likes this.
  3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that sounds awesome if I had one in a day or RadioShack was still a thing and I could make my own

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could use another Prius to put some charge into the dead car by connecting the batteries in parallel, not quite sure on the details of how best to achieve that. But needless to say you would want to be very careful, both to keep yourself safe and also both cars.

5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a risk of hurting both the batteries and the ecu on a voltage overload. I wish there was a simple fix to this dilemma but it looks like there is not.
    I wonder if a trickle charger could charge the hybrid? Feel free to chime in I'm taking all ideas

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before grid chargers, people were using remote control toy chargers, as they could be configured to the 6 cell modules that make up each battery module. These chargers can be picked up from RC hobby shops.

One member here uses 7x 4-channel chargers so he can cycle all 28 modules simultaneously. The down side to that approach is the battery needs to opened up and the bus-bars removed so each module can be worked on individually.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost guaranteed the stealership will not have a charger but can get the use of one from Toyota for additional $$$

The best solution, assuming the battery is just discharged would be a $678 Prolong reconditioning kit to keep the battery maintained.

Prolong® Deluxe Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

A less expensive alternative would be just the Prolong charger & harness for $409 .

Prolong® Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive

@Raytheeagle will agree, I am sure.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prolong equipment is a great tool for your tool box;).

You’ll be surprised how much Toyota will charge to do the same thing you can with the Prolong charger, then you have a great tool for additional use, not just one time:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.