1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Hybrid System Check Light on after brake job

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by anthdc, Feb 22, 2017.

1. anthdc

anthdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had my mechanic disconnect the battery before doing the brake job. When I went to turn the car back on the car came up with the yellow triangle exclamation point. Any ideas?

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Turn it off and on a few times, if the light stays on, read the obd2 codes, but think about visiting a dealer if it stays on.

3. anthdc

anthdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I turned if off three times, nothing happened. I have a ScanGauge and it didn't pull any codes. I don't want to have to take it to the dealer just yet. My mechanic read somewhere that if you just let it sit over night maybe it might fix it which I doubt. Also, I have not tried the reset correctly to get the engine to turn on. I'm thinking shouldn't the ICE turn on even if the hybrid system is failing?

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Does your car driver normal

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A ScanGauge may well not see any codes related to the hybrid warning light, unless you program it with suitable XGAUGEs (I don't remember whether those have been found for the Gen 3 hybrid DTCs or not).

If there's the light, there certainly are codes; just a matter of getting the equipment to read them, or getting the car to someone who can.

-Chap

6. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If there is anything connected to the OBDII - it could be a short which could be solved by turning off the Prius disconnecting the OBDII device/cable, turn the Prius back on, reconnecting the OBDII.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did the brake job entail replacing pads, and pushing the caliper pistons back to accomodate them? If so, I'd guess prior to reconnecting the battery the mechanic neglected to do multiple pushes of the brake pedal, remove excess travel, which the car subsequently detected..

Just disconnecting the battery is insufficient: you need to "clean up the clues" before reconnecting, or it's all for nought.