1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Hype

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by okiebutnotfrommuskogee, May 8, 2007.

1. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "but the reality is that many of them will end up in landfills"

This is unfair speculation. Toyota has a recycling program with a number to call on every battery.

And, if you are concerned about climate change and CO2, a Prius is much better.

And I'm getting 56mpg on this tank. So stick that Chevy.

~buttster

2. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That website makes me laugh!! The reason being is that I traded in a 2002 Chevy Malibu on my Prius!!! LOL!!! First off, I was getting about 28 mpg average with the Malibu. Averaging 45 mpg with the Prius. My car insurance actually went DOWN with the Prius by about $60 every 6 months!! That $120 annually will fill my Prius's tank quite a few times. I really liked my Malibu, but I love my Prius. :)

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just how many auto recycle businesses are going to let a part with a $200 bounty on its head end up in a landfill?

Even someone parting out a Prius will figure it out . . . and if they don't, and try to sell it on Ebay or elsewhere for less than $200 - GUARANTEED SALE!!!!

Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?
    Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

http://www.toyota.com/about/environment/te...004/hybrid.html

-----
    So, where is the hype of just how much a Malibu going to save you?
    Thought so. :rolleyes:

4. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just did an ROI write up on the Prius. This is actually the exact math I did before I bought my Prius. In the end there was one car that beat the Prius on ROI by a few hundred at every stage, think it was the Civic nonHybrid, but *IF* I get my tax break, I'll be ahead for sure.

Math is math, marketing is marketing... seems the two will never meet

Post #438040 - The Math

5. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From the article

Front Legroom

Prius= 41.9"
    Malibu= 41.9"
    0 difference

Rear Legroom

Prius= 38.6"
    Malibu= 38.5"
    +.1 for Prius

Front headroom
    Prius= 39.1"
    Malibu= 39.9"
    +.8" for Malibu

Rear Headroom
    Prius= 37.3"
    Malibu= 37.6"
    +.3 for Malibu

Interior Cargo Volume
    Prius= 14.4"
    Malibu= 15.4"
    +1" for Malibu

So the legroom claim is false and the headroom advantage is < 1" for front and rear and interior cargo in exactly 1" advantage. Big whoop. Hardly a significant selling point.

Source: Cars.com

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

No talk about the tax advantages of the Prius. And of course the resale value of a used Chevy was left out for obvious reasons.

And you also have to add the cost of tickets when you are caught solo in the HOV lane in your Malibu! :lol:

7. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Remember that email I sent to them? Their sales manager got involved! Here was his email to me:

I'm having trouble deciding if I should send them an email in reply or not. Personally, I'm thinking about asking them to either revise or remove their "Hybrid Hype" webpage. Although it has a few accurate facts, not many of them hold any water, and their presented in a slant to favor the Malibu. Any suggestions?

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My neighbor has a 4 year old Malibu and he ends up having to work on it nearly every weekend, seems as though the braking system really sucks. He says his wife doesnt quite get 25 MPG but that its close.

9. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Ok, I sent Riverside Chevrolet's General Manager this email:

We'll see what happens from here.

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HAHA, nice form letter.

Don't waste your energy guys.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 7 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]437340[/snapback]</div>
    One of my coworkers had a 98 Chevy Malibu. It blew a head gasket and the repair estimate was more than the value of the vehicle. So, technically it could have been repaired, but it wasn't worth it, so she donated the car and bought a new car. It lasted 9 years.