1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius I: jumping the HV battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, May 17, 2017.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not quickly see the specs so I could not verify.
    I did notice that the unit is UNTESTED. So there is a chance that even it is right, the it may not work properly.

In any case... I'll toss it back to you to work through these 3 questions.

1)Does it have input that matches your house current? (120vac or 240vac)
    Please answer Yes or no

2) Does it have an output voltage of at least 300vdc? Please answer Yes or no
    (Since it is an electrophorisis power supply I assume its output is dc, not ac, but please verify.)

3) Can the output current be adjusted to under 350 milliamps?
    Please answer Yes or no

150 milliamps will work if you had no other options, but it will be very slow. So it depends on what you are planning to do with it. It will take more than twice as long to charge as one that can do 350 milliamps.

You will likely need to put a diode in line on the positive lead.

2. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Safety first.
    While a generic high voltage/medium current (0.1-1.0A) power supply may technically work, it requires active monitoring by the operator during the recharge process (which can be hours).
    I'm thrifty, but I avoided the homebrew process for exactly this reason.
    A hybrid-designed system (such as HybridAutomotiveLLC.com offers; there may be others) will have monitoring, plus have charging setpoints (and voltage ramping, for charging and cell levelling) already built in, so that having a cup of coffee away from the car is less of a risk/hazard that the battery pack comes to an untimely end and take the vehicle with it.

Brian in Tucson and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. The wheel has been invented. Use it.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it IS. Vastly different.

It is pretty hard to do yourself any serious damage when working with 12 VDC.

It is pretty EASY when working with ~130 volts.

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I find it hard trying to be helpful in this discussion without being dis-respectful.

But it seems to me that you don't have even a simple basic concept of how things work, especially electricity.

For instance,the question above:
    Where are you going to get that kind of input voltage.
    And the output is about 2X what the HV battery needs.

I fear that if you insist on diving in blindly when you don't understand what is involved, you will do yourself some serious damage.

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Prolong system from HybridAutomotive.com and it requires a hard wired pigtail. Not a difficult install, but it does require pulling the cover off the top of the battery pack and also removing the battery cooling fan to do some wiring. Pretty cool, tho. It runs the cooling fan to keep the battery elements cool while it's charging. And it's a properly controlled power supply specifically designed for the Gen 1 hybrid battery. Not cheap, but correct!

My thought is that the HV is an unlikely candidate for jump charging. If it fails, probably it won't take an acceptable charge (likely that battery elements will be the cause of the failure.) However, with the Prolong grid charger one could theoretically field charge a HV. One would only need a 12v dc to 120v ac inverter of sufficient wattage to run the charger, and, of course, a power supply such as a running/charging automotive charging system--like another car or truck.

I'm with Chap and Spade, tho. This is not a job to futz around with or experiment. At the worst, you could burn down the hybrid car or die.

#26 Brian in Tucson, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I worry a bit more about death than burning down the car.

Invest in personal protective equipment.
    It is worth the $100 expense.
    Class 00 High voltage rubber gloves. Leather covers for the gloves.

You can do this cheaply or you can do this safely. But not both at the same time.

Cheapest way is what I did the other day... But it was very dangerous. 2 pieces of wire jumping from one Prius high voltage battery to the other. (Not recommended!)

Much more expensive, but safer way was using my $1000 high voltage charger/discharger system that is automated has graphing capabilities and real-time output to my desktop computer.

There are plenty of other options between these two methods.

Feel free to call me and discuss ideas.

Ultimately the decision is yours. Be safe!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An 85 to 264 volt input range is pretty easy to satisfy in large swaths of the world.

That's more of an issue. :)

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The unit is partially tested. That is, it's tested to power on. It's very cheap so I think it's worth the risk. To be expected with sales of old equipment.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    This is only for an emergency if the HV becomes drained for some reason. I'll try this method as a last ditch attempt to revive the car and if it fails I'll likely junk it.

10. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    AC85 - 264 input is notoriously easy to achieve. It's available in just about every house anywhere in the world. USA uses 120VAC and in Europe/China they use 240VAC. Stepping down 240 to 120 is fairly simple (or so I hear, have not had to do that) and you can get 240VAC in the US by correctly wiring the wires going to the house or simply using a step-up converter (fairly bulky bricks and I already have one rated up to 2,000 watts).

11. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah, think I'll be getting one of those medical machines if anything since they have adjustable voltages/currents. I'll test the thing as soon as I get it on some DC device just to see if it works enough to carry a load and then put it away for an emergency, along with the accessories needed to rig the thing to the HV battery.

I'm trying to get a cheap set of 00 gloves for this matter. Already have the leather protective gloves for it.

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget the inline diode.
    May need it in both leads.
    Depends on the machine.

13. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What kind of specs on the diodes?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Won't need to carry much current, but should have a robust > 300 volt reverse breakdown voltage. Really, you just want to prevent the battery from 'charging' the power supply's output capacitors the instant you connect the leads.

-Chap

15. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Once I get the banana connectors, is there any way to actually test this machine? Can I just connect it to a 12V battery, checking the voltage before and after a charge session? What settings would I use? Just 14V?

I tested the ports with a Fluke voltmeter using the leads. The upper ports appear to be nonfunctional. The bottom ports read a steady 12V regardless of settings. I think I'm going to try to return this unless someone here chimes in and says otherwise. There's also some other stuff that seems wrong with it.

#35 primuspaul, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a good chance that there is a specific protocol to follow to test it.

Sometimes you will need a load on it to test it.

Sometimes you need to hold a button for an allotted number of seconds while the unit gets up to the voltages.
    Etc, etc

Find the manual and read it.

You said you were going to try to return it unless someone says otherwise.... Well I'm saying otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned you should not return it. The listing did what it said it would, which is power up. So it does exactly what the seller described.

You said yourself that ".... It's tested to power on. It's very cheap so I think it's worth the risk. To be expected with sales of old equipment."

So, you took the risk and you lost this time.

You could have chosen to spend your money on a tested unit, but you didn't.

And on top of all that, there is a chance that the unit works properly, but you just don't know how to use it. That it user error and not a fault of the seller.

Don't try to penalize the seller.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I haven't been able to find a manual for that particular unit, but I will look again so I can test it more thoroughly. It was also listed as "used" with a return policy, not "for parts / broken." As such, it is the seller's responsibility to deliver a WORKING unit. Please refer to eBay's description of the "used" condition:

"An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended."

I'm going to try to test it further tonight, but there seems to be a loose part sliding around in the unit. This was obvious when I got it, but the seller never mentioned that.

Otherwise, if it does not work, read the seller's return policy:

"If you receive an item that was not as described we will issue a return label and a replacement or refund (at seller's discretion) within 3 business days after we receive the unit and it is verified by one of our technicians."

Item was described as used, which means fully functional. Frankly, if it really does not work, then I am in the right to return it for a refund. The seller's decision not to test the item is his decision and in no way impacts my rights as a buyer under this type of listing. If I sell you a used car (with the understanding that such a description means the car is fully functional) saying "used, but I didn't test it," you buy it for $20,000 and it doesn't work at all (meaning its value is now $0), you're not going to try to return it? The only risk I bear on a used item is the time wasted buying, testing, and returning it. The refund is understood to be the seller's responsibility if the item does not work fully. He even says he has technicians to test the item, but decided not to test it (to save time/money). In other words, he's choosing to bear the risk of the defective item. That's assuming he didn't already know it was defective (having gotten it for free from flipping properties, for example) and didn't just post it in hopes that someone will buy it and wait a month before testing it, at which point the return opportunity will have expired.

#37 primuspaul, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  18. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
  19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are ultimately able to do what whatever you want.

But to me it feels like you are wasting people's time.

I mark the $50 as the cost of learning a relatively cheap life lesson. If I buy something untested it may not work.

You win some you lose some.

Shrug your shoulders and move on.

Dxta, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes things are cheap and untested but fixable. I bought a palm nailer on eBay last week for cheap. It showed up, then I ordered the one $3 spring it was missing.

-Chap