1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius II 2010 vs Prius Three 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by loved my 2010 prius, Feb 21, 2013.

1. loved my 2010 prius

loved my 2010 prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Guys!
    I just recently leased a new prius Three 2012 model. I had a 2010 base model previously and absolutely loved it!
    Has anyone found that the 2012 does not ride as smooth as the 2010? I'd really appreciate your feedback as Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA is not helping at all with my concerns regarding my ride.
    I know the tires are different- now goodyear's vs my yokohama's- could that be the main issue?

Just some back story as well-
    After receiving a new leased 2012 prius, I drove off the lot with intense shaking as soon as I hit the highway. I brought the car in for service because of this problem. I was notified that my vehicle had two bad tires that needed to be replaced. I was assured by Steve that this can happen when "a car has been sitting on the lot for a few months". After three hours of waiting, the problem was "fixed". I felt uneasy knowing that two bad tires were not discovered when the car was initially detailed and prepped for me. Come to find out, there were actually 3 bad tires, rather than two as my sales team told me. I notified my sales team that I was not happy with my purchase. I expected the same if not improved ride with my new 2012 Prius. He told me it was the exact car and should drive the same. Rob also said it will take 1,000 miles to break in a new car so I needed to give it time. I never had to let my 2010 Prius "break in". When I refused to sign the final paper releasing my old lease, Steve told me I could leave with my old car but "I would be leaving here owning two cars." I have returned to the service department for alignment issues and tire concerns. After having the car two days since my last service appointment- the alignment is off again.

2. Priuswagon

Priuswagon I love my Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    oh no I hope you get your problem solved. I'd go to the manager and ask for another Prius or my car back.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds pretty underhanded to me... sorry about that. Like mentioned above, I would work to the top of the ladder and talk to the General Manager, or if they have a Customer Service Representative.

How many miles did the '12 have when you got it?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both my dads 2012 and mine have that slight shudder on the highway. We took the cars to the dealer within a month of buying them. They even sent a regional guy to the dealership. In the end after all the time spent they claim it is normal to the car and what I am feeling is the road. I said how we both had 2010s and neither did this driving the same roads from here to PA to VA beach etc. I forget the whole thing already quite frankly because I just wanted to be done with it but there may have been some suspension change made which they said gives more road feel. I ended by telling them how they need to go back to the old setup then since this new one sucks.

It's been almost a year now and while it is still there in time you'll not feel it as much because you just become somewhat accustomed to it. Though coming from a 2010 before the 2012 I know exactly what you are talking about. As a side note and an FYI, in 2010 they did use Roman numerals for packages. Starting 2011 on packages are no longer Roman numerals but instead two, three four and five.

5. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well coming from a Rav4, my wife has a Prius 2012, and I now have a Prius 2013, both smooth as glass, absolutely no shaking or flutter at all. It is not you, it is some balancing, alignment, or defect issue. Really a Toyota that shakes? You actually bought that crap, it's expected? Are they serious? Ever hear of the lemon law, perhaps your dealer needs to reminded 3 strikes and your your out of that deal.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After three years in a 2010 level II, I upgraded to a 2012 level Three last spring, and did not experience the problems you describe. But my car did not sit on the dealer lot for more than a few days.

Well, actually, the 2012 did suffer a very slight wheel imbalance for about two months in late fall and early winter. Then the TPMS light lit up. Turned out that a rear tire was impaled with a foreign object that cut some cords and caused a slight bubble in the tread, but didn't lose any significant pressure (I do check, especially as the weather cools) until the bubble wore thin (maybe that is also when the puncturing object, which didn't 'tick' on the pavement, was expelled). A replacement tire fixed everything.

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ride on my sister's new 2012 Prius three was really smooth. IMHO Goodyear makes very good tires.

My 2010 Prius does slightly grumble/shake when it goes from regenerative braking to hydraulic braking or when
    when I am braking over uneven patch of road - which I think is due to the anti lock brake computer working
    overtime trying to figure out what to do...

My experience is that a tire can go bad for many different reason but it is usually not due to a bad design or
    defective manufacturing. All tires naturally go bad after a few years due to tire *rot* - which is
    basically the oxidation of the tire's rubber which is accelerated by pollution and extreme temperatures - but you'll see surface hairline cracks on the sidewall of the tire for atleast a year or two before the tire gives out.
    Tires do not go bad sitting on the lot for a few months. A properly fitted and mounted (new) tire should not have any problems for months sitting on the parking lot. For something to bad, the tire usually has to hit something - a road hazard (aka screw/nail in the tread) or a roadside curb ( aka wheel balancing weights are break off after hitting something, wheel alighnment messed up).

I agree it does not take 1,000 miles to *break in* a Prius. :rolleyes: Given the uneasy feeling - vibes you are experience - I would advise you to take the car to another independent certified mechanic that specializes in tires and wheel alignment and have him inspect the vehicle. :coffee: Tell him what happen and ask him for his opinion of whether the dealership is on the level or whether you are being taken for a ride. :cautious:

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the tires....

The Goodyear Fuel Max tire is known for being a poor riding tire compared to its main competitors like the Energy Saver A/S and Ecopia EP422. The Yokohama AVID S33D is also a fairly rough riding tire but I don't know how it compares to the Goodyear.

from TireRack.com

Read more: Tire Test Results : Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?

Something else to consider is the worn suspension on your 2010 vs. the brand new suspension on the 2012. Struts are generally worn by 60K miles.

Begreen likes this.
  9. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a defective Prius. Sad to say but the dealer is unwilling to go the extra mile to make you happy as a customer.
    I would talk to his manager about the problem and request to either have them fix it or replace the Prius.
    If they don't fix the problem by the third try, tell them it is a lemon and request a replacement Prius.
    If they don't comply, sue them for giving you a lemon.
    It is shocking to see dealer behavior like this.

A friend bought a new Mercedes which had electrical problems causing it to stall on the road repeatedly.
    His dealer tried several times to repair the car but could not find the cause of the problem.
    The dealer refused to replace the car after the unsuccessful repair jobs.
    He sued the dealer and won all of his money back and legal costs.
    He then bought a BMW instead.

Lexus dealers would do the right thing.
    They would keep the car and work on it until the problem is absolutely gone.
    And they would give you a replacement car while repairs are being done - even if the repair takes days.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is rather presumptuous. Not all dealers work the same.

I receive excellent service from Magnussen Toyota but I receive sub-par service from Folsom Toyota. Are you telling me that ALL Lexus dealers will provide the same service?

11. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back in 2009 and 2010 the 2010 Prius models flew off the lots as soon as they arrived. Now it appears that the 2012 and 2013 models are not selling as fast and spend some time sitting on the lot which can cause the tires to get "flat spots". These flat spots have to be worn off by driving and until they are gone the car may ride rough and vibrate. My last new car (not the Prius) sat on the lot for about six months before I bought it. The flat spots on the tires took a few thousand miles to wear off and until they did the car vibrated and the ride was rough. Once the flat spots wore off, the ride was smooth. So there is some truth to dealer saying the car will get better with driving it if it sat long enough for the tires to get flat spots.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My father and I were the first two to get our plug ins in the NE so as I said in my post, it's not anything like flat tires from sitting. If they did in fact change something suspension related like they said or from 2010/11 it sucks because it transmits more road vibrations.

13. ProZach

ProZach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just sold my 2010 Prius 3 with 72,000 miles on it and purchased a 2012 Prius 2 with 400 miles on it that had been on a dealers lot for 250 days. I have not experienced anything mentioned above a feel the 2012 drives just as the 2010 did. Everything in the 2012 may feel a little tighter or crisp but I'm sure that'll wear off soon.