1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius II,III,IV vs. V Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by joe480, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone have any hard science or data on whether the higher unsprung weight, etc. have an even more deleterious effect (on a percentage basis) on stop and go (short trip) driving? I'm guessing yes, just because of the added frequency of overcoming the added inertia, etc.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the 15" vs 17" OD difference: I believe the manufacturers are required by law to adjust the odometer for this, at least, according to Wayne over at CleanMPG:

17" wheels? - CleanMPG Forums

But, I'd suspect the transmissions are universal, ie: the car with 195/65R15, having a the larger outside diameter, effectively has slightly taller gearing.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't believe there is a law governing odometer accuracy other than meeting the manufacturers own specification. I wish there were. Can anyone cite one?

A manufacturer is subject to civil legal action if they use a high reading odometer to short change consumers on warranty coverage.