1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius III Interior and Exterior Cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Triparadox, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm planning on cleaning both interior and exterior of my 2010 Prius myself. When I got it, it was pretty dirty and I didn't really have time since I needed to figure out what was wrong with the engine. I watched a YouTube video where he uses an extractor to clean the cloth seats. I don't have one and it's pretty expensive. That being said, I'm wondering if I can do it with vacuum cleaner paired with microfiber cloth on the suction end to make it function similar to extractor(?). Also I'm thinking what kind of soap that I can use to wash the body of the car? I wonder if I can use detergent that we often use to clean our clothes since I'd prefer to not buy an extra cleaning tools if I can get away with it.

2. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nuclear option for the exterior is a solution of Dawn dish soap. It will remove everything, including wax, so make sure to wax your car right away.

For the upholstery I use Bissell spot cleaner designed for messy pets. It reaches everywhere and lifts pretty much everything. I use diluted Simple Green as a cleaning solution (not the most pleasant smell, but it works).

jb in NE likes this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can us a product called "Totally Awesome". It is VERY good!
    Smell good afterwards too. You can get it at the Dollar Tree, for a dollar for a quart.
    I used it on my Prius. The door panels and center arm rests were very dirty. This stuff cleaned it right up!
    If your rear seat is really nasty, you can remove and spray it down with this stuff, scrub it in then rinse it
    with a garden hose. I watched a video of someone doing that, the seat looked like new afterward!

4. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can it be done without having to own an extractor to pull out the water absorbed to the seat?

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just spray on a 50-50 mix with water and use a rag to spread it around. Cleans pretty good.
    If your seat is really nasty, I think removing it and spraying it with the mix and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes,
    then hosing it off would be best. Then let it sit in the sun propped up. Maybe every 30 minutes rotate it.
    If you have a wet/dry vacuum, or rug cleaner with an upholstery attachment, that would work.

6. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I don't have many tools. I ended up taking the seats out and cleaned them using a $5 multi purpose cleaner with cloth seat picture on it. Brush them and wipe them off with microfiber cloth. Then I sprayed the seat (mist) with hose and scrub again and try to get the trapped soap as much as possible. Still much easier if I have an extractor, but I think somehow I pulled it off.

ASRDogman likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could use any decent cleaner. But the "Totally Awesome" cleaner is great!!!
    You can get it from the Dollar Tree store:
    $1 for a single bottle.

If the seats are REALLY bad, soak the seat with the mix of this stuff, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then hose it off. You can lean it against something so it can drain, and have it facing the sun.

No tools required, for bottom, and I think just 2 10mm bolts for the seat back. It's really great stuff!

I'm doing two 6X4 rugs today, if the rain holds off. I spray it on thick, and have a scrub brush to brush it in.
    Then hose it off. Super clean!

Good luck!

8. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, when I checked it on the Internet, I believe that Totally Awesome product cost more than $5... but maybe due to the size as well. When I went to buy for one I completely forgot about that. Might try that on the next time I wash my car...

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy it at the DOLLAR TREE store.....I bought some last week, $!, plus tax....Each.
    Seeing that you are in california, $1, plus $4 tax.... per ounce. Sorry... :)