1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Improvement Wish list

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmyhua, Jun 13, 2006.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also found the beep on reverse to be very annoying.
    However, I have the same tendency to push the shift forward for drive, so I decided it was a GOOD thing to leave the beep to remind me that pushing it forward is actually putting the car in reverse!
    It must be a cultural gap.....

2. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I wish the seats were more adjustable. I added lumbar control to my seats but it would be nice if there were a height adjustment.

Other features I'd like:
    1. A subwoofer
    2. Isolation for the audio jack to eliminate the hiss that currently exists.
    3. XM radio
    4. Allow the map to be controlled while moving if a passenger is sitting in the front seat.
    5. iPod integration support
    6. More powerful electric motors so pulse and glide can be automatic.

3. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I hope that the arm rests (center and sides at front and back seats) can be made out of something other than that dirt-attracting cloth. Oh.. the car ceiling too.. maybe nylon?

I second on the full sized spare tire suggestion.

Oh.. and since I have a dog ;), I wish I can leave my dog in the car with the AC on. I do that already, but I also know that if anyone breaks into my car, they can drive off with it. Maybe there can be an "on" function that disables driving? Or... something like.. the car can be left on, but will lock its wheels once the smart key is far away?

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Remove engine, exhaust, fuel system. Replace with more batteries and on-board charger.

Perfect.

5. surfer7382

surfer7382 Junior Member

1. Better factory tinting - our car gains heat like crazy. And our car is WHITE. Having to have the air on full does not do our mileage much good!

2. Better adjustable seats or a more adjustable steering wheel. In order for me to be able to drive comfortably (without my knees hitting the steering wheel), I have to really reach for the steering wheel.

3. A less "economical" looking/feeling interior. It looks and feels cheap.

4. A bigger 'shade' over the display screen. I mean REALLY! It is virtually invisible in bright light. And it is plenty bright here in NM. Tilting the screen further upright MIGHT help as well (as opposed to being slanted back.

5. Get rid of that stupid green line reflecting on the windshield at night. Which is in the driver's line of vision!

6. An option to do without the center console. It is confining and makes the car feel smaller than it really is. And makes fastening the seatbelts annoying at best. I could live without the storage and/or power port.

7. A way to adjust the fan without adjusting the temp on the steering wheel.

8. A manual, non-screen control to either max dim or max brighten the display. When it's night, it's too bright IMMEDIATELY, and during the day, if it's been dimmed, you can't even find the control to make it brighter.

9. Bigger/wider sun visors. They look like they took them off some smaller and/or cheaper car. That patch of weird pebbling over the mirror does nothing for the sun here, and using the visor on the side does almost nothing unless the sun is in the very corner of the window.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I pulled this from one of the Yahoo groups. This was dated June 2, 2005:

2007 Prius Wish List

1. Instrumentation improvements:
    a. Eliminate reflection of speedometer display on windshield.
    b. Compass display near speedometer.
    c. Mechanical brake engagement indicator.
    d. Set freeze warning indicator closer to freezing point.
    e. Accurate, linear fuel gauge.
    2. Operational Improvements
    a. +Tilt AND telescope steering wheel.
    b. Antenna system short people can deal with.
    c. Notch cargo mat for cargo net’s metal ring.
    d. Rear door smart-key handles.
    e. Add lights to buttons on mirror.
    f. Soft light shining on cup holders.
    g. Remember cruise control setting.
    h. Turn lights off 30 seconds AFTER CLOSING driver’s door.
    i. Effective, projector fog lamps.
    j. Publish voice commands in manual.
    k. Add depth/storage to rear seat fold-down arm rest.
    l. Automatic door locking.
    m. Daytime, sensor controlled running lights.
    n. Add CD storage to front armrest.
    o. Easily configurable backup beep.
    p. Driver/Passenger heat controls.
    q. Eliminate useless rear window wiper.
    3. Premium seating option with:
    a. Height adjustment.
    b. Lumbar support.
    c. Leather option.
    d. Driver Memory.
    e. Heat.
    4. A/V Improvements:
    a. Optional cell phone with external antenna incorporated into the LCD
    display.
    b. Internet access from LCD display with wireless keyboard in glove box.
    c. Add Aux Input & Controls for MP3 capability.
    d. Voice command to change between radio presets.
    e. Tone memory for Classical/Jazz/News, etc.
    f. -Speed sensitive volume control.
    g. Optional rear seat DVD player.
    5. LCD improvements
    a. Full touch screen capability for passenger.
    b. Eliminate “I agree†screen.
    c. Add elevation to map display.
    d. Add fuel range to map display.
    e. Add energy quantity to energy flow screen.
    f. Add interior temperature and humidity to climate screen.
    g. Better shielding to eliminate washout.
    h. Full diagnostics screen including tachometer, oil pressure/temperature,
    tire pressure and error codes.
    i. Voice command training screen.
    j. Add editable phone book screen.
    k. Add full functionality for passenger.
    l. Add cumulative mpg register.
    6. Selectable Left/Right driving on Euro/US Postal version.
    7. Larger fuel tank with improved fueling ability.
    8. Add 110V/220V 50/60 Hz outlet.
    9. Add air compressor with gauge. Provide bottle of tire seal.

7. Titanicman

Titanicman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1. I agree that auto headlamps are a must. The switching the NAV/HUD brightness to match time of day if lights are left on is stupid. This is supposed to be a high tech car!

2. Amplified Subwoofer - heck my suburban stereo puts this Toyota to shame

3. computerized glide mode. Make it easier to find the glide position by stiffening the accelerator pedal when optimal MPG is achieved.

4. Allow additions to the phone book, not complete reloading of the book each time a phone number changes.

5. Larger rear wiper

6. Larger wheels and tires to make the wheel wells appear better and better handling.

7. All toyotas need to fix their RESUME on the cruise control to not forget speed after slowing beneath 25 MPH.

8. Add accessibility for IPods and etc. to stereo

9. Auto up/down windows in all locations with global close function via remote control

10. Power seats - come on, a techie car with no power seats.... baaaaad

11. If you are going to have a HUD, make it a choice to send the HUD to the windshield, I mean how much more would it have taken, a slide closure above the existing HUD to eliminate/allow the projection to the windshield? tough!!!!

12. A better voice recognition system. It doesn't recognize 80% of the commands.

13. Sunroof/moonroof option

14. Heated/air conditioned seats. (I had to add my own heated seats - works great)

15. Optional AWD - gas front wheels, electric rear (maybe Hybrid Matrix AWD - I'd order one)

16. Optional AC charger plug in to allow 30-50 miles of driving without using gas, no matter what the driving habits. This would sell a LOT of cars. Stick it to the gas companies too!!!

17. Allow NAV to be upgradable - Jag is. This would allow visual upgrades like moving temp, clock, compass to all screens of NAV.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 13 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]270665[/snapback]</div>
    The OP linked his request for a conventional shifter to his desire for P&G driving to be made easier. He seemed to be refering, not to the kind of lever used, but to the actual shifting of gears, which I was pointing out does not happen in the Prius. P&G would not be made easier by changing the style of the shifter lever.

As for the shift lever itself, I like the way the Prius does it, except that I'd like the Park position to be added to the shifter pattern, rather than on a separate button.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 13 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]270680[/snapback]</div>
    There's planty of motivation. Norm would love to offer a CAN-View for the 2006. The problem is that the CAN-bus codes are different. If someone can get him the codes, I bet he'd offer the unit without delay. I don't know whether Norm has the means to figure out the codes, but I'm pretty sure he does not have a 2006 Prius to work on. So it's not his fault. Note that he is one man, operating out of his home, and building the units to order.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ Jun 13 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]270983[/snapback]</div>
    The power of the motors has nothing to do with making P&G automatic. It would be easy for Toyota to write a program for automatic P&G driving, but it would expose them to lawsuits because P&G is reckless if not done with very careful attention to the surrounding traffic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 14 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]271248[/snapback]</div>
    The rear wiper doesn't work well, but it's not entirely useless. It clears off enough of the rear window to see through part of it, especially the car immediately behind. This is better than nothing.

A better wiper would certainly be possible, though, and a big improvement.

9. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 14 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]271378[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Daniel, I accept what you are saying about the CAN-View. Perhaps I haven't read enough of the threads on the topic to know the whole story. It was my understanding from what I had read that the only problem was with with the difference in the 2006 having a digital MFD and that for some reason, CAN-view would somehow look considerably worse as a result, at which point I was disappointed that it wasn't available on the 2006 and stopped reading about it.

10. jtaft

jtaft New Member

Did anyone mention HDRadio?

11. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aardvick @ Jun 13 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]270675[/snapback]</div>
    You must have really long legs. Maybe you like to really stretch out when you drive. Maybe you like the rappers style of driving from the back seat!
    Can't figure out how you dont' have enough room!

With the exception of the pitiful Nav I can't say I could ask for more.

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 13 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]270507[/snapback]</div>
    Your #1 is my only suggestion ... better, more adjustable seats with adjustable lumbar support.

13. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ Jun 14 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]271474[/snapback]</div>
    I think men tend to have longer torsos in proportion to their legs (which is why so many men find the rear headroom to be a problem).

I'm 5'10" (female) and I can't fully stretch out my legs with the seat all the way back. That was useful in my '91 Camry on long drives when I wanted to stretch a little but didn't want to stop the car. I REALLY wish the Prius seat would go back a couple of more inches and add a telescoping steering wheel!!!!! Those of us with long legs and normal-length arms would like to be a little more comfortable! It's one of the VERY FEW things I would change about this wonderful car.

BTW one of my nieces had to cross the Prius off her list for the same reason...she's a new driver and she would have had to have straight arms to be in the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel (I'm comfortable with my hands on the bottom of the wheel, having driven around the block a few hundred thousand miles...). The Camry fits her really well, however, so I hope their budget will stretch to a hybrid version.

14. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

Another improvement I'd like to see on the Prius:

1. FlexFuel compatible. Can run Ethanol/gas mix up to 80%.

Jimmy