1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in AZ HOV Lanes ?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ~sparky~, Jan 2, 2006.

1. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

There was a post a while back from someone who said that they'd managed to get AFV plates for their classic prius before the MVD figured out that the prius didn't qualify as alternative fuel (~2002?). Apparently once they had the plates in hand, renewal wasn't a problem. Perhaps you saw that prius?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It was a 2006 Prius and the plates looked brand new but you could be right...

3. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

I don't think this should have to go back to legislation. It is already in rule and was only suspended a few years back pending a federal proposal, which was finally done last year. It should just be a matter of lifting the suspension and getting the proper vehicle identification decided. This is a run around and delay because they don't want to deal with it. :angry:

4. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phxprius @ Mar 8 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]222580[/snapback]</div>
    Well I,m glad to see the Arizona state legislation is looking at giving permission and approval to E-85 vehicles to be blessed with the Alernate Fuel Vehicle rating. where do we stand??? AZ Republic 4/5/06

5. paulsdad

paulsdad New Member

I have come to the conclusion that the only way this will become a priority is if we, the Prius owners of Arizona make it an issue. Many of my friends who own Prius' have printed out the passed legislation and carry it with the as they drive solo in the HOV lane. The one's that have been stopped, show the print-out to the DPS officer who, so far has just let them go with no ticket. (I think the sentiment is that if they issue a ticket, the Prius owner will go to court and show the print-out to the judge.

I called DPS and was routed to their Public Relations office. He gave me the "official" version that they have been told to tell the public. Then, off the record, he told me that IF the DPS officer did write a ticket, if the Prius owner went to court:
    1. The officer would probably not show up which would mean the case would be dismissed.
    2. Even if the officer did show up, it is likely that the judge would throw the case out because of all the cloudiness surrounding the legislation.

Granted, taking a stance on this IS taking a risk but if many of us took the chance, those who get stopped (if anyone actually does, could notify the group and we could show up at court to voice our support and could make lots of noise to get the media interested in the topic. This combination will surely expedite the process. Napolitano is not going to go out of her way to help us because of all the fiscal irresponsibility that occurred when she was Attorney General under Jane Hull. That was soooo screwed up, we still see the effects with all the big SUV's driving in the car pool lane with their20 pound propane tanks that they never use.

Your comments are welcome. Let's DO THIS!!!

6. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulsdad @ Apr 12 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]238523[/snapback]</div>
    I'm happy with my commuting mileage on surface streets as an alternative to the freeways/HOV. My guess is that if I began using the HOV lanes, I'd probably lose nearly 10 mpg on my average, and my emissions would go up due to early acceleration before the car was warmed. I like the idea, and if the state started offering plates, I'd apply, but in the meantime I'm content to leave a little extra commuting space in the fast lane for everyone else. I'll be watching this story with interest, and I'd support those who try to push things along, but I guess thats as far as I'm willing to go at the moment.

(Stupid legislators. I'm still amazed at the lack of planning of Arizona from an incentive standpoint. Where's my freakin' tax break for a hybrid here, too? Feels like every other state has them at this point.)

7. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

I am so glad this posting has developed a dialogue...I am ready to try the presentation of documentation, as was mentioned, to get over this ridiculous justification of the SUV with it's little tank, to something that is REALY an AFV vehicle. We need to continue with our efforts and contacts to make this become a real issue. So many other states said this as a "no brainer" that it went right through. What the hell is the problem??

8. loud

loud Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phxprius @ Apr 12 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]238966[/snapback]</div>
    I am looking to buy a Prius but only if I can use the HOV lane ... New to this chat room it appears that the AZ legislature most are identifying with here (to the effect that we are waiting for the Federal Govt Approval) seems to have been issued as far back as 2001.

This recent denial to pass the an amendment to allow for Hybrid vehicles in HOV lanes was in 2003 and is the most recent discusion on the topic I can find.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocumen...23TRANS.DOC.htm

Wish I could find something better but this is fairly clear that this is not allowed and will be ticketed. :eek:

9. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loud @ Apr 13 2006, 12:37 AM) [snapback]239007[/snapback]</div>
    This is from 2003 when they were freaking out. The 2005 federal energy bill, which passed, cleared the way to go ahead. Imediately after it's signing California and others put into place and began issuing the permits. Thanks for you research but our issue in AZ is politics and lack of interest and PUSH.

I am for a challenge in court and would be glad to attend if, as paulsdad said someone gets dragged into court.

10. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

Guys,

have there been any news on this subject?

11. I have seen many Hybred and non Hybred cars in the HOV lanes, single riders only, and at closer look they are either City owned or County owned. These cars seem to get the "cloud" plates at no problem, more than likely this was the Prius you saw in the HOV lane.

12. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Honda Hybred owner @ Apr 30 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]247703[/snapback]</div>
    So, when I move to Phoenix this summer and register my Prius, should I ask for the AFV plates?

13. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco-shalom @ May 1 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]248017[/snapback]</div>
    Can't hurt to ask, right?

14. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HybridVigor @ May 1 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]248163[/snapback]</div>
    And please post any response from DMV so we know what's going on...

15. I exchanged a couple emails with DMV just today. Basically as we knew don't hold our breath...

1st Reply From DMV:
    At the current time, HOV lane usage by qualified hybrids has not been implemented in Arizona. The rule promulgation process of the implementation will determine if HOV lane usage by hybrids will be by AltFuel plate or permit as well as the amount of the fee. Thank you. drp

Then I asked... "Is there any idea when promulgation may occur?"

2nd Reply from DMV
    Not at this time. The Federal Energy Bill which included the approval of HOV lane usage by qualified hybrids also included a very complicated traffic flow formula. Implementation is further complicated because other state agencies, not just ADOT and MVD, have some jurisdictional authority related to HOV lane usage and/or traffic flow issues such as the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality as well as others. Also, the required administrative rules will have to be approved by the Governor's Regulatory Review Council which requires public hearing prior to approval. Sorry! drp

16. Guest

Guest Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_David_* @ May 11 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]253577[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate anyone still tackling this issue. Thank you...this is insane, how did other states get this done in a very short time?? This is a run around that shows no one has put any effort into taking ownership of at the state level. They obviously have better things to do...

17. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is kinda funny.....

My wife took my Prius to Phoenix a couple of months ago it has the Cali carpool stickers. She thought that the Cali stickers were valid in AZ (I know, I know). Anyways, she was stopped by a AZ officer and given a warning. I don't think he had the heart to ticket her. She called me and asked me if they were valid there, I said, "Are you serious?"

18. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 11 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]253833[/snapback]</div>

Your correct in that no one will take ownership. Like they told me...

"Implementation is further complicated because other state agencies, not just ADOT and MVD, have some jurisdictional authority related to HOV lane usage and/or traffic flow issues such as the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality as well as others."

No one is willing to fight the fight.

19. Infidel

Infidel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_David_* @ May 16 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]256316[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe there is something that just happened with these ADOT weenies? On the 202 freeway this afternoon, the Prii were out in force. I was in the far left lane, and noticed a white Prii lurking next to me in the HOV lane. After I waved back, he kept motioning, and I rolled the window down, at which time he yelled, "Hey, its OK to drive these in the HOV lanes now! " Then following traffic honked, and we split off. I did not notice if he had the blue cloud AFV plate or not. I think I will wait for some additional confirmation before I try it though.

20. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

Well, I called AZ MVD yesterday again and asked whe I could get my Alternative Fuel or HOV sticker. The lady on the phone asked my what kind of a car this was for, then asked me if my car has a button or a switch that I can flip to make it work stricktly on electricity. I told her theat this car does not have that switch and it automatically controlled. On which she entered, that this is considered a hybrid car and not an alternative fuel car. As she said, "If your car would've had a button for controlling which energy to usee - gas or electricity, then AFV plate would've been issued". She did mentioned that some legislature did not pass, but could not tell me what exactly she was talking about. I've tried to emphasize then that I dont necessary need the AFV plate, the HOV sticker would be fine on which she replied that the same rules apply. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and buzz them again.