1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in AZ HOV Lanes ?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ~sparky~, Jan 2, 2006.

1. NoSpam

NoSpam Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Meerkat @ Feb 10 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]388159[/snapback]</div>
    I see a lot of snow birds driving their Priuses slowly with blinders on (and sometimes blinkers on and on) in the East Valley. They DON'T wave a me in my Prius. They don't seem to even notice that there are any other drivers on the road! ;)

I am also seeing some Prius drivers who make everyone think that they are driving an underpowered vehicle when that is not the case. It is just a case of slow-poke drivers.

Best regards,
    NoSpam

2. barylee

barylee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hope it lasts and they add more perks.Our air NEEDS it!! Ordered my plate today.

3. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the heads up. However, I fail to see this as progress towards cleaner air or as a public incentive. There's a surcharge for the plate and it's only useful in Phoenix.
    The crux lies in AZ MVD's wilful misinterpretation of what constitutes AFV. The result is a significant financial loss to myself and anyone looking for a tax break by contributing to: cleaner air, less emissions, lessening the the dependence on foreign oil and therefore, lowering the strategic significance in the middle east(less death).
    There seems to be a real lack of concern on the part AZ MVD, as well as the governors office, to really want to actively promote any progressive change towards air quality. It's a mockery; dead air from the governors office, and who really needs to hear misinformation from AZ MVD, or how they "drive around in a Ford V8 Mustang..."
    This aside, my current understanding of the federal tax credit for last year will disallow any credit or benefit for those filling returns utilizing AMT.
    But I want to thank you for keeping me in the know with all the potential changes that may soon come.
    Many Thanks!!,

BTW, anyone interested in sending Mr. Mendez at AZ MVD a demand letter for their VLT???

ARS 12-821.01. Authorization of claim against public entity or public employee

A. Persons who have claims against a public entity or a public employee shall file claims with the person or persons authorized to accept service for the public entity or public employee as set forth in the Arizona rules of civil procedure within one hundred eighty days after the cause of action accrues. The claim shall contain facts sufficient to permit the public entity or public employee to understand the basis upon which liability is claimed. The claim shall also contain a specific amount for which the claim can be settled and the facts supporting that amount. Any claim which is not filed within one hundred eighty days after the cause of action accrues is barred and no action may be maintained thereon.

B. For purposes of this section, a cause of action accrues when the damaged party realizes he or she has been damaged and knows or reasonably should know the cause, source, act, event, instrumentality or condition which caused or contributed to the damage.

C. Notwithstanding subsection A, any claim which must be submitted to a binding or nonbinding dispute resolution process or an administrative claims process or review process pursuant to a statute, ordinance, resolution, administrative or governmental rule or regulation, or contractual term shall not accrue for the purposes of this section until all such procedures, processes or remedies have been exhausted. The time in which to give notice of a potential claim and to sue on the claim shall run from the date on which a final decision or notice of disposition is issued in an alternative dispute resolution procedure, administrative claim or review process. This provision shall not be construed to prevent the parties to any contract from agreeing to extend the time for filing such notice of claim.

D. Notwithstanding subsection A, a minor or an insane or incompetent person may file a claim within one hundred eighty days after the disability ceases.

E. A claim against a public entity or public employee filed pursuant to this section is deemed denied sixty days after the filing of the claim unless the claimant is advised of the denial in writing before the expiration of sixty days.

F. This section shall apply to all causes of action which accrue on or after the effective date of this section.

4. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

:blink:

good grief yups, you're raining on my parade. How about we take it one step at a time? For now, let's just be thankful that AZ even started the freakin pilot program.

5. boatfanatic

boatfanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~sparky~ @ Jan 1 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]182824[/snapback]</div>

YES GET FORM FROM MOTOR VEHICLE ALTERNATIVE FUEL PLATES WITH HOV STICKER. I HAVE ONE ALREADY.

6. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) It feels so good to breeze by all the traffic during rush hour! I'm a little scared of other drivers reactions when they see me fly by solo :eek: . But, I'm getting to my office 5-10 minutes faster each morning so far. :)

On another note, I was very impressed that the order was processed and the plate sent so quickly. It only took a week! My only regret was that I received the plate on Friday, and since Monday was a holiday, I had no need to "try" the new benefit until Tuesday.

Now we just need a discount on the VLT! I noticed that the plates are available to the first 10,000 applicants. According to stats I saw last week, there are less than 8,000 qualifying vehicles currently registered in Arizona. So, for now the limit is meaningless, unlike in CA.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My drive home sometimes overlaps the HOV restriction period, but my drive in from Surprise to Tempe usually doesn't.

I used the HOV lanes yesterday on my way home at about 5:15-5:30 and it shaved 10+ minutes off my drive, definitely worth it. If traffic is above 70-75 though, I generally stay out as I don't feel like wasting extra gas to make the HOV the High-speed lane for me.

I do find myself always using the HOV lane into work (almost always after 9am) at the I-10 to 202 interchange since it's alot less confusing and easier to get over to the left than the right.

8. sshiffrin

sshiffrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ordered my special plate today. I think the best part of driving in the car pool lane is going to be stress reduction rather than speed. It is so much less congested -- at least on the 51 which is my commute.

9. NoSpam

NoSpam Junior Member

My stated concern about slow Prius drivers came true yesterday. I was stuck behind a slow Prius in the HOV lane both on the way to work and on the way home. The whole benefit of the HOV lane is the ability to go faster than the traffic in the regular lanes. People who go five or ten miles under the speed limit eliminate the benefit of using the HOV lane entirely for the rest of us!

Please don't give Prius owners a bad reputation by impeding the flow of traffic. If you want to go slower, keep to the right!

Thanks,
    NoSpam

10. sshiffrin

sshiffrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoSpam @ Feb 21 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]394382[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. I noticed one of those today on the 51. But I also noticed other cars (not hybrids) doing the same thing. When I was taught to drive the rule was move to the right until you are either moving with the prevailing traffic or all the way to the right. These days drivers seem to pick lanes to drive in at random.

11. ybnormal

ybnormal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The program is still on ServiceArizona.com. I'm waiting for the registration papers to come back so I can order the plate. The dealer said they cannot order them.

12. NoSpam

NoSpam Junior Member

Welcome to PriusChat, YBNormal! :)

Best regards,
    NoSpam

13. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YBNormal @ Jul 31 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]488255[/snapback]</div>
    Different dealers seem to have different understanding of the law. In my case I already had the AFV plate on my Honda Civic Hybrid, having applied and received it earlier this year when the program opened. In July I traded my 3-year-old HCH for the Prius I had always wanted (but couldn't get in 2004) and the dealer was able to transfer my plate over, despite a clear warning on the ADOT website that this can't be done. I wasn't convinced until I got my new tags a couple of weeks ago and sure enough the registration showed my old AFV plate number on my new Prius.

14. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phxprius @ Mar 4 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]220476[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for months
    [attachmentid=10685]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paco-shalom @ Feb 21 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]394084[/snapback]</div>
    You know I travel alot and I see more Prius's in Tucson than I have seen in any town in California.

Attached Files:

• lic.jpg
      lic.jpg
      File size:
      228 KB
      Views:
  15. ybnormal

ybnormal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoSpam @ Jul 31 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]488302[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I ordered my Hybrid plate on Monday and expect it in today's mail. I have notivced slow drivers in the HOV lanes but they are driving all kinds of cars, not just Prius's. The Prius definately has enough pep to not be a road blocking slow car. So far I'm loving the nearly 50 mpg in this heat with the AC on. I expect it to go up in the cooler days.