1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in deep (15cm+) loose snow (Results)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome!

2. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ABS almost always increases stopping distance in most cars, if not all. However, for *most* people that just hit the panic button, it's shorter. I learned this as a mechanic back in 1988 when I went off to college and got edumacated in ABS.

Most people deny it as do most car mags but it is true. You end up with very short controlled skids which would normally make you think of shorter stopping but thats not the case.

I for one, hate ABS, especially the Prius's as it has a lag and is to aggressive. You hit a short bump on dry roads and there is a moment of no brakes, even after the software update. It's freaky to experience though I have yet to have an accident because of it. I figure a 1 second delay and yes, I can reproduce it.

The distinct advantage of ABS is not the stopping power but that it lets you STEER the car to avoid the accident. Thus ABS is important for the majority of drivers!

I do realize that I sound cocky, but this is what I was taught and physically trained on.

IMHO, GM and the other Bosch ABS systems are superior to that of the Prius. I have not spent enough time in other Toyota's to make a blanket statement. Still, I dislike ABS and wish I could always disable it.

3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is their a video?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    of?

No doubt ABS = antilock braking system or a system designed to prevent wheel lock up, allowing you to steer around the object. I would say it's shorter in the dry (just because you're not locking up the wheels and sliding). I know for loose snow, you want the wheels to lock up and create a pile of snow ahead of the wheels.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, it's not a 1 second delay, not after application of SSC-A0B. Bwilson4web did document the behavior before application of the fix at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...78685-offer-document-brake-pause-problem.html. It was ~800 milliseconds.

I can't find his post of after the fix was applied, but http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...rakes-did-not-fix-problem-10.html#post1122760 says that the pause was gone. Unfortunately, he appears to be no longer participating on PC. :(

Yep to the advantage you mention. Without ABS, someone has to do threshold braking to the point before wheel lockup while trying to steer. Also, there are a bunch of cases where ABS can do things that are physically impossible w/o ABS, such as maintaining control when braking while one side of the car is on a slicker surface than the other.

6. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In this area we normally will get one snow storm each week during winter. These will often give us 15 to 20cm, and normally result in the undercarriages of vehicles dragging and packing down the fluff.

The Prius is new to us, so we will just see what happens ;)