1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in Singapore

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by vincent1449p, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ManualOnly, care to post that article in the Hybrid news section?

2. Pri(ap)us

Pri(ap)us Junior Member

The govt __encourages__ car sharing! But the govt encourages also folk not to have cars! commercial pickups limited and a flashing orange light on the cab top shows everyone when they're over the limit (as well as the 'beep, beep' in the cab).

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they care. I've ridden in cabs that go up to 120km/h on the PIE to/from Changi. Eventually, you'll ignore the chime.

4. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    You must be referring to the speed warning lights fitted on top of the light goods vehicles (LGVs). Nowadays, you don't get to see these on the road anymore. LGVs are no longer required to fit these since 2001. This is in response to vehicle owners' feedback that such lights increase the overall vehicle height and pose an access problem to car parks. However, the warning buzzer is still required to be fitted in the cabin to alert the driver when he exceeds the set speed of 60 km/h.

Land Transport Authority - What's New :: Content

5. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I think Pri(ap)us is referring to the cabin top? (cab top) and not cabs (taxi). Cabs and cars do not have these warning lights on top of their vehicles.

You're right about ignoring the chime (buzzer). It only serves as a warning, if a driver wants to speed, no amount of warnings can stop him. Some even illegally mod it to disable the buzzer and to re-enable it before annual inspection.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh ok. Didn't know they had those.

7. leebsq

leebsq New Member

Hi ManualOnly,

I got my Prius from RICARDO. $82,500(Japanese MFD)

BORNEO Motors was selling at$94,500(English MFD)

The Borneo Motors agent actually suggested that I buy the entry level Camry instead which was cheaper at $92,500. And it was far more luxurious and powerful than the Prius. Besides, he said, it would be a 3mth wait since the Prius is on an indent-upon-order basis due to its (un)popularity.
    You can see now why Hybrids aren't taking off in a big way here in Singapore despite the obvious advantages. There is just no financial incentive to do so. The fuel savings even in a long run does not justify the inflated price of the Prius here. And there is no tax incentive as well.

MOVA was then selling the Prius at $84,500(Jap MFD). But the car salesperson can get the MFD installed with a re-cond English MFD (presumably from the US) which was probably worked into the price already.

Thru' some searching on the net, I managed to get in touch with MOVA's local supplier of the re-cond MFDs who didn't quote me the price but hinted that it was more than $1000 and very high in demand.

As I travel to the US once every other month or so, I figured that it may be worth a shot trying to source for one English MFD on my one. At the moment, I am pursuing some leads and will be able to see how it works out over the next few weeks.

Anyway, the prices above are a few months old already, I don't know what the current prices are now. Also, I am not endorsing or critising any dealer whatsoever, just recounting my experience.

As we all know in Singapore, the steep discounts that you get from the PIs may come at a price. I chose RICARDO bcoz it is already considered more reputable than the rest of the PIs with good service and support. Still, true to typical PI fashion, my Prius has already exceeded the expected delivery date,not by a day or a week, but by a whopping one month! (which was from 3 months to now 4 months). Explanation given was that delivery delayed due to long holiday periods during Christmas and Japan's Golden Week. I have since negotiated for a replacement vehicle.

Good luck shopping for your Prius!

8. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are there some kind of prius gatherings over there, or anyone a member of the Toyota Club of Singapore (TCS)? I'll be back in April for about a week or so and it would be cool to meet some of you :D

9. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    E.U.
    City 5,0 l%Km
    Suburban 4,2 l%100km

10. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi chsim,

I 've replied your PM.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't that infringe on the copyright of TCS? lol. (The one that replaced SBC)

All I remember was that the average was 4.5L/100km. Thanks for the urban/extra-urban numbers.

12. hokysushi

hokysushi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which grade petrol for 06 Prius?

Hi Everyone,

I jsut bought a used 2006 Prius. The salesman who sold me the car said to use Premium grade fuel. Checked with Borneo the agent and a salesman there said to use 95. I called ttheir Service Centre and a guy there said to use 98, but changed to 95 after discussion with his colleagues.

There are too many people going around saying use Premium since the car's still newish. I see no logic there.

So what IS the grade to use?

I read in a post in one of the forums that Prius will do fine with the lowest grade in the US.

Would appreciate advice. Thanks.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Which grade petrol for 06 Prius?

Regular (whatever that number is in Singapore... 93 I think??)

14. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The octane measurement system is different in the US and Canada from the UK and most of the rest of the world. There are basically two methods of measuring with two resulting numbers: Motor Octane Number and Research Octane Number. The MON is normally about 8 to 10 below the RON.

The UK, and the rest of Europe, use the RON number exclusively. 'Premium' fuel at 95 RON is the lowest grade sold in the UK.

The US and Canada use the average of MON and RON, leading to a number 4 to 5 below the RON. It's called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or Road Octane Number. The most common grade offered, and the one the Prius is designed for, is 87. That's equivalent to about 91-92 RON.

There's no point using 'Super' unleaded (98 RON or higher) and in fact there are reports that it not only causes worse economy but can cause starting problems as well.

15. hokysushi

hokysushi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Thanks Mike Dimmick and Tideland Prius.
    I think it should be fine to use the 92 in Singapore (92, 95, 98) as the ratings seem to be closest to RON.
    Much appreciated, guys.

16. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c

Hi hokysushi,

Although the user manual stated as 95 minimum, I 've since changed to 92 two years ago. If the US & Canada can use 87 (equivalent to about 91-92 RON), I see no reason why we can't use 92.

After 2 years, it is still running fine. So I think you should test it for yourself to see if it suits your car.

17. hokysushi

hokysushi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Thanks, Vincent1449p.
    Very glad to know that YOU have found it ok to use 92grade petrol. I jsut topped up with it today and everything's going fine.
    Cheers.

18. hokysushi

hokysushi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rooftop antenna

The antenna has a screw thread basal end for attachment to the black thingy on the roof near the hatch door. Isnt that easily pilfered by vandals?

19. pnerd

pnerd Junior Member

Singapore Prius driver here. Since mid-2006. So it is almost 3-years old. Today, my starter battery died. Nothing happens when I push the power button.
    As for petrol, I use 92, usually SPC.
    I thought I read in the manual, or maybe a Borneo person told me: 92 or higher is fine.

20. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Did you get it jump started ?