1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in Snow???

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by trinck44, Apr 15, 2009.

1. trinck44

trinck44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How does the Prius handle in the snow and ice??
    I live on Long Island and although it doesn't snow often I would like to hear others experiences dring the Prius in snow, ice etc.

Thanks
    Tom

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does OK as long as you use the appropriate tires. The original Goodyear Integrity tires that come on the car are not suited for snow/ice.

3. Prius_SGP

Prius_SGP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with firepa63. I live in a mountainous region and we get a fair whack of snow each year, so snow tires are obligatory here.

I found that the Prius is remarkably easy to drive in the snow. I have a lot more confidence in driving this car then any of the others that I regularly drive for work (pugeot and citroen vans and the 107). It may be just be the fact that I have new snow tires on this car, but I find it remarkably stable and have had no problems even in deep(ish) snow and on hardened ice/snow.

If you do a search on the forums you'll find lots of posts and comments.

Personnaly I recommend the Nokian WRG2 snow tires if your wanting to go that way. I haven't had the need to use chains (wouldn't really want to unless totally necessary).

If you are wanting to drive on the same set of tires all year round then I would suggest that you invest in a good set of all season tires as opposed to the factory fitted Goodyears - they have a rather large amount of bad reviews for certain people.

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Being from upstate NY, the first thing I found out was the Integrity's suck in the snow. I have Michelin X-Ice and my daughter has Blizzaks on her 06. A world of difference but I get a little better gas mileage than she does because mine P-metric radials. The Prius as a whole tracks very well in the snow and/or light icing and have had zero problems with cornering and hills once the snows are mounted.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love the way it handles in snow. VSC makes it control very well, although as others have said, you need to get decent tires.

The Prius is not a truck. It sits low, so you won't be able to wade through deep snow.

Tom

6. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My nephew in Minnesota has driven to work every day in his Prius since 04, and hasn't had any problems in the winter--even with the OE all-season tires. He does recommend the stability control option.

If you have to drive in snow, I would recommend snow tires. All seasons are only good for cold temperatures and light snow.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just upload the video back from the early March. We got 10 inches of snow.

Somehow, the 16:9 video got upload in 4:3 ratio.