1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius? Insight? Fusion?.... Prius? Insight? Fusion?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by johnnyp500, Mar 24, 2009.

1. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here and this is my first post so if this has been covered extensively let me know :)
    I am deliberating between the new insight, fusion, and Prius. Ive personally never owned a hybrid before but have driven my dad's lexus RX450h which is the only hybrid Ive ever driven. I decided I want a green car and researched a ton about all the available hybrids and I narrowed it down to the above 3 however, nothing beats 1st hand experience and/or knowledge so I'd like to hear from those who have been driving hybrids and have extensive knowledge which they would recommend and why.
    Thanks

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    To the best of my knowledge, these are not yet on the show room floors:

• Ford Fusion
    • Honda Big-Insight
    • 2010 Prius
    There have been a number of test drives by others but I don't think we'll get 'hands on' until sometime later this summer.

Bob Wilson

3. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, the Honda Insight has been launched today. so I guess I could go out and test drive to see how it feels as to the other 2 guess ill have to wait

4. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Local Dealer called 30 minutes ago and they were unloading 3 Insights. It surprised the dealer that they showed up today. I guess this is another dig by Honda to get ahead of Toyota.

Base price of the Fusion is going to put it out of reach for many even with the $3400 Federal Tax credit.

Are the 2010 Prius going to start arriving tomorrow???:D

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at th others, then buy a Prius. Make sure you compare a 2009, vs a 2010. Both are great, but there are some diff's that may sway you one way or the other!!

Whatever you decide, Good Luck on your new toy!!!

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius? expensif
    Insight? cheaper
    Fusion? more expensif

so whats your budget and buy based on that.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Answering these questions should be all that's left in your decision then...

Do you want a hatchback or a sedan?

Do you want an ASSIST or a FULL hybrid?

Insight = compact ASSIST hybrid hatchback
    Prius = midsize FULL hybrid hatchback
    Fusion = midsize FULL hybrid sedan

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius has the best of both Insight and Fusion worlds. Prius has the hatchback functionality like the Insight and the interior room (mid-size) like the Fusion.

The price of the Prius is between the Insight and Fusion too. You should be able to pick the packages in order meet the price you want to pay.

People regret getting an ASSIST hybrid and end up later to upgrade to a FULL hybrid.

9. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in a similar situation. However, for me it is between the insight and the 2009 or 2010 prius (after having a Chrysler, I'm sticking with Toyota/Honda). My car has had it and I need to replace it soon. However, without knowing when I can realistically purchase a 2010 prius, and at what price, makes a decision difficult. I'd hate to simply go out and buy an Insight this month or in April just because I can, but I may have to buy before we have all of the 2010prius info. Buying a 2009 Prius doesn't seem to make a lot of sense since I suspect that 2009 will be a lot cheaper once the 2010 comes out.

The Prius is larger than the Insight, but not by so much that the size difference is a deal breaker (except the extra 2.5 inches or so of rear hip room could make a big difference). I think the Insight looks much nicer on the outside, and the Prius much nicer inside.
    Price and timing maybe key for me.
    Any idea when an average guy can actually buy and take a 2010 Prius home from the dealer? Will we have to pay MSRP or higher until fall?

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is going to be impossible to tell you which of the three to buy without knowing what you like in a car.

If all you want is low price, but you want a hybrid, then the Insight may be the car -- but don't forget to look at the Honda Civic Hybrid.

If you want a better ride, in terms of space, comfort and features, then look to either the Prius or the Fusion Hybrid. There is a much wider price range when looking at these two cars, so be careful to look for what you want and not buy extras that mean little or nothing to you.

If you want the best mileage, the the Prius is it -- and the 2010, to boot. You just need to be willing to wait and to pay.

I would normally suggest you drive all three in similar conditions before deciding, but I will tell you that waiting one more week will cost you $1,700 if you end up choosing the Fusion but buying it after March 31. Starting April 1 the tax credit applicable to a FFH purchase drops from $3,400 to $1,700. No credits remain available for the Prius, and I don't believe any remain for the Honda cars.

I like the "larger" cars with more gadgets, so as much as I like Honda, I would be looking to choose between the Prius and the Fusion. The Fusion non-hybrid has been well-received, so I expect if you like the look and feel of one now, you'll be pleased with those aspects in a FFH. The 2010 Prius will have many new features, though the HSD is well-developed and dependable.

Perhaps it just comes down to what John1701a suggested: Do you want a hatchback or a trunk? That is very easily answered by me: I wouldn't go without the additional space offered by the hatchback and the fully folding rear seats.

All the best to you!

11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I doubt I'd be looking very hard at many Chrysler products right now, but I am not averse to purchasing a Ford, particularly one built on the popular Fusion body.

Once the 2010 comes out, I doubt there will be much of a selection, if any, of the 2009s. The time is right to buy a 2009 Prius, because what is out there is all that there will be. If you don't mind the color or package, then by all means wait until the bitter end, because prices will not go up. Demand may go up if gas continues to increase, and the supply of 2009s is finite.

I don't know how you'll know the difference size will make to you until you get inside each of these cars. I can tell you the 2010 feels bigger than my 2007 -- and it is! The size isn't much on paper, but it was noticeable when sitting in the 2010.

If so, then I would jump all over an available 2009 Prius. Either that or by a Fusion hybrid (if you can find one) by the end of March and take advantage of the #3,400 tax credit. (Just be certain you qualify.)

You may be able to buy one as early as late May or early June. If gas prices do not rise much and the 2010 Prius is priced high, then you'll have more options. Unfortunately, you've listed "price and timing" as key for you, so the 2010 Prius seems an unlikely choice for you.

12. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info, it is appreciated, especially that the 2010 Prius feels a lot larger. I am also under the impression that the 2010 Prius interior feels significantly upgraded.

If I knew that the 2010 pricing would be comparable or only $500 or so more than the 2009 Prius, I would wait it out, and go with the 2010 Prius. If the 2010 pricing is going to be 2,000 more above the 2009 Prius, I'd probably get a 2009 Prius or the Insight.

Too bad Toyota holds back so much information. Some of us could end up with an Insight if we have to replace a non-running care.

13. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Be patient! Toyota will come through soon! Very soon!

14. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Patience, your right. I hope Toyota surprises with some info soon! I have a 2001 Chrysler that needs more work than it is worth, and as of Friday, all of the windows no longer go up or down (and the amount to repair it isn't worth it) plus a transmission fluid leak, etc. Hence the strong desire to not wait and the possibllity that I won't be able to wait based upon the history of this car. I refuse to put any more money into this thing.

Anyway, I can confirm that 2010 Insights can be had for less than MSRP - I received an internet quote with about $500 off the MSRP for an EX.

I've only owned 2 cars in my life (and I'm about 40): A Toyota Corolla which was a great car that I had forever, and a 2001 Chrysler that I feel like I've paid for twice - once when I bought it and once for repairs - some major - based upon known engine defects, etc! My Chrysler only has 90,000 miles and I'd normally want to get at least 120,000+, but have given up on it.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In life, you usually only get two of the following three choices:

• Good
    • Fast
    • Cheap
    IMHO, if the time has come, go for it and don't look back. If you get an Insight, come back and let us know about it. There are several good MPG databases to track your progress. Most of all, don't worry about it. No matter what you buy, a week or so later, a better offer will show up. I think it is something God does to teach us humility. <GRINS>

BTW, the 2009 Prius is a very nice car too. If you have a quote on the Insight, you might visit a local Toyota dealer and see what they can do for you. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

16. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well,
    Im going tomorrow or thursday to test drive the Insight. From the reviews I read it seems like a 'fun to drive' hybrid with good handling, a nice design and overall a good conclusion. What I bothers me is the fact that I like to be able to add options like sunroof and leather and larger wheels and while I understand Honda is after the affordable hybrid they could have added options for those who want the not so affordable hybrid like me :) I think they were wrong in targeting only the 'affordable' market and they will lose a lot of market share. That being said, I don't have a car right now and Im renting half of the time and borrowing from my father when he goes out of town so I need a car kind of urgent. If I really like the insight tomorrow or thursday when I test it I may just go ahead and buy it. As to the hatchback its nice but not that important to me whether it has one or not. If I could have some more info with regards to the launch date, pricing, etc I could make a more calculated decision but no information is available other than launching spring, summer, or fall so I don't know if I dont purchase the insight how long I'm going to have to wait which kind of annoys me :).
    But, ill let u nice people know how the insight feels when I drive it :)

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't quite understand the hesitancy to compare the 2009 Prius to the 2010 Insight. It has been done already -- take a look at this PriusChat thread on the subject and you'll gain a lot of good information (almost wrote "insight"!).

If you want a less expensive car, the Insight MAY be the one to buy, but given the pressure on dealers now, you should be able to get a 2009 on a great deal. I've seen fully a loaded Package 6 2009 offered for barely above $23,000 -- and that was the asking price!

The reasons to choose the Insight over the Prius do not include gas efficiency, but the Insight should be pretty good on the MPGs. The seats are supposed to be more comfortable or supportive in the Insight, but I've had no problem with the seats in my Prius. The gauges are more conventional in the Insight, so that may be a draw for some.

Aw, heck. I'm just too much of a Prius fan. Honda builds a great car, folks, but the Prius is just better than the alternatives unless you are looking for a total, overall, less-expensive car purchase. And even then, you shouldn't be buying new! By a used Civic! These days, you may even get a great deal on a used Prius.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes events force a decision ... so don't worry about it. Get a good deal and be happy.

Bob Wilson

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is the fusion not bigger then the prius?

20. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes it is but the the top model of the fusion is approx $33k which is probably around what the top model of the prius is going to be and thats what I am looking at..