1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Interior Cargo Dimensions, please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Man104, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Man104

Man104 New Member

Good day, everyone!

I am new here and don't have a Prius yet. Would the current owners be so kind and let me know about the cargo capacity inside the Prius? I am speciifically interested in the following:

If you would slide the front driver and passenger seat all the way forward towards the dash, and would fold the back seats flat, what would be the interior distance from the back of the front seats to the hatch? And what is the interior width from side to side?

Much appreciate the information!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IB104 @ Aug 20 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]499396[/snapback]</div>
    The passenger seat folds flat. There is a thread here listing all the large stuff that has fit inside the car. What are you looking to carry?

3. Man104

Man104 New Member

Jim! I may carry different stuff. Could you please provide a link to the thread you are referring to? But I still would like the dimensions, please, not just what stuff fits in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 20 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]499414[/snapback]</div>

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have hauled 8 foot long lumber without any problem.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Man104

Man104 New Member

all! Neat threads for sure, but no info on exact dimensions, expecially from the back of the pulled forward front seats to the hatch.

Could someone please go to their beloved car one more time and measure? ;)

Thank you!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HolyPotato @ Aug 20 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]499474[/snapback]</div>

9. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IB104 @ Aug 20 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]499542[/snapback]</div>
    These are rough measurements. Hope they help. Keep in mind that the car isn't square.

Height 26.5" measured from the deck to the center roof line

Width across the rear deck 40" (not counting the side pockets)

Length measured from end of deck mat to the top of the right rear seat folded down 60"

Length measured from top of right rear seat forward toward windshield 40"--48" max.

Please ensure that anything sliding inside the car is wrapped in padding. The plastic scratches easily. I would also have old blankets covering everything.

So depending on how wide it is you may be able to get something 9 feet long inside the car and close the hatch.

Here's the address for a search:

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&sit...s=priuschat.com

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  10. Man104

Man104 New Member

Jim! Great info, thank you!

One last piece of measurement remains to be announced. The length from the end of the car (hatch) to the back of the driver seat pulled all the way forward towards the steering wheel, please! :)

Thank you!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 21 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]500048[/snapback]</div>

11. Man104

Man104 New Member

Ok, guys, let's not be shy :)

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 21 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]500048[/snapback]</div>
    Length measured from top of left rear seat to back of left front seat--18"

Total length from rear of deck to back of fully forward driver's seat is 78"

In this position only Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) is going to be able to drive the car.

Now, it is your turn. Why?

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 23 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]501277[/snapback]</div>
    Let me guess..I was recently wondering about if you could sleep in there...I know you can get a bike in with the front seats up -_- -_- <--- 2 sleeping in a Prius

14. Man104

Man104 New Member

Darwhisp is a good guesser :) Yes, I want to drive far, then at the end of the day inflate an air mattress and have a nice sleep in an enclosed tent named Prius :)

Jim, my boundaries have no gratitude! If you could only inflate a queen size air mattress in there, spend a night inside Prius, and tell me how it feels, I would not know how to thank you anymore :) :) :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwhisp @ Aug 23 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]501298[/snapback]</div>

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IB104 @ Aug 24 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]501454[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad my reply was not crazy and wrong as usual. What made me think of it was, I was sleeping in the front passenger seat the other day while my wife was driving, you know the front seats go down back-wards quite far. So that is a fall back. As far as air mattress, you could get a smaller size.

Anyways the Prius is really a handy small SUV when you think about it.
    :wub: :p <--- I think this is self explanatory, but it is 2 NOT sleeping in a Prius

16. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IB104 @ Aug 24 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]501454[/snapback]</div>
    I take a nap in the car during lunch time at the office by dropping the passenger seat. One could also stretch out across the deck and rear seat. You can probably sleep two in the car if you don't carry much stuff. I would think you are going to be limited to what you can stow below the deck and on the floor behind the front seats.

You need to visit a dealer for a test fit. I took a friend and 4 mail tubs to measure the usable space. I suppose your first accesories will be window shades and a "If this Prius is a rockin' don't come a knockin'" bumper sticker. Enjoy. :p

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IB104,

Why are you asking Jim to jump through more hoops for you? He already measured and told you the width is 40". Now you ask him to "inflate a queen size air mattress in there ..." In the US, the width of a queen size mattress is 60", a full or double is 54", and a twin is 39". I think you can figure it out yourself which size comfortably fits in a 40" space (unless you like the fat guy in the Speedo look).

18. jweale

jweale Junior Member

A queen isn't going to happen, and a double requires squishing a bit of one end to get in there due to the wheel arches. One issue is that when you lay all the seats flat (the fronts go flat if you take off the head rests) you do not actually end up with a flat surface.

Here's what you've got with everything laid flat.

But notice it's not really flat. If you look here and here, there is a drop off from the rear deck to the flat front seats of several inches. Making it more fun, the center console is higher than the two seats. Now, if you finagled something to bring the level of the reclined seats up to the level of the rear deck (perhaps a couple folded over inflatable mattresses or well selected duffel bags with a 1/2" plywood cover plate) you're getting closer to a double bed.

What does an inflatable double mattress look like in there?
    Something like this.

For scale, there is a 23" long paint shield just sticking out the rear. Notice that the mattress is crammed between the two wheel arches a fair bit at the rear, and while it is tough to see it is
    just hanging over empty space in the front.

If you jam it as far forward as possible, you don't clear the wheel arches and it ends up under the steering wheel.

I have a brand new daughter (bought the Prius the day after she came home), so I can't see ever camping out in the Prius. But, if you were willing to work with a squeezed double and fab up a plywood deck with duffel bag supports (you need to store stuff somewheres), you could pull it off. At least good enough for a young'n.

All the pics I took are in this Picasa directory. The mattress is a standard double mattress size. Good luck!

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  19. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is someone in Priuschat who does sleep in his Prius while he travels around the states. There are pictures of it posted in here somewhere. I believe he cut a piece of foam to fit. I think it was Hobbit, but I'm not sure. I'm too tired/lazy to search for it.

20. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok, it wasn't that hard to find. It was Hobbit and he talked about using his "sleeping rig" on the way to Hybridfest in Wisconsin last July. This is the link to Hobbit's sleeping rig