1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Interior Noise Test

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ovni, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I read in a couple of places that the interior noise was higher on the 2010 Prius. I have both and find the 2010 to be quieter. I did a simple test.

Test Equipment

-2006 Prius w/ Stock tires at Factory PSI
    -2010 Prius V (17" Wheels) w/ Stock tires at Factory PSI
    -Extech 407730 Decibel meter
    -Iphone with Decibel Meter App

Test Course

-Flat, very rough road doing 60MPH
    -Slightly Uphill, Smooth Road doing 60MPH

2006 Prius 79db on rough road, 74db on smooth uphill
    2010 Prius 82db on rough road, 74db on smooth uphill

I was shocked that the 2010 Prius was louder in the rough road test. Most of the noise on the uphill test came from the 2006 Prius engine. I will update my test by adding a smooth, flat road test. Im sure the 2010 will be quieter in that test.

3 people like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I am surprised. Thanks for doing the tests! I thought it was quieter on first encounter (although some have said it's noisier in the back).

I was checking the windows the other day and noticed that they're quite thin so the sound insulation is definitely not from the windows. I wonder how much they stuffed in between the doors and how much sound absorbing material they've added to the chassis (underbody) and firewall. Could the 17" wheels be a factor?

1 person likes this.
  3. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out the noise isolation thread in audio forum. There's nothing in the doors.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. Great... and here we had the Chief Engineer say that there's more sound insulation in the doors and that's the reason for the lack of door pockets (just bottle holders)

5. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it would be interesting to hear the results when comparing to a Gen III with 15" wheels & tires. Most of the noise seams to come from the GIII's choice of tires no matter what the size.

6. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a 2010 Premium pkg (Prius III) and the interior noise level was disappointing. I didn't know what to expect but the engine noise while stationery was a low bass rumble. Dealer said it was cold (-16c, 3F) so we let the car sit for 20min in their garage while I learned about it. Test drove it and it was annoying, like I was in an econobox. I hoped it was an isolated case. I had been wanting a Prius for months and I didn't think I could find something to dissuade me.

Same night, I test drove at another dealer, the exact Prius I wanted: Touring (V), Blizzard Pearl. This time, the car was even colder, buried in snow. Even with 1/2 the warmup time as previous car, this Prius V sounded like a different car. But I'm not talking road noise. I heard the low end drone from the ICE and/or CVT just once at start, but once we got going, I totally forgot about it. Not as hush as my Accord when the ICE is engaged and driving, but within reason.

Now I'm waiting for delivery :)

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There shouldn't be much engine noise. The engine is much quieter at idle (both inside and outside of the car). Only when you accelerate moderately to hard will you hear it. Even then it's a better sound than the old one.

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 and with the right tires and adding insulation in the doors (dynamat type product) makes the car relatively quiet at highway speeds. It certainly is not like a Lexus, but I think Toyota should definitely install more sound insulating material in this car. Sure the mileage may suffer a tad, but I think most people would enjoy the car more. There is nothing as annoying as driving a car that is noisy on the road.

9. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The engine buzz toned down a lot on my 2010 after it broke in just a little. Now I can hardly feel it run and I'm actually impressed with how smooth the four banger is.
    I plan on changing the tires to Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads and doing some sound insulation too.

10. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The rough road test would definately be affected by the low profile tires, with shorter, stiffer side walls. Do you know anyone with a gen III with a model other than the V to make a comparison?

1 person likes this.
  11. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't. If anyone in the pinole/el sobrante Ca. area want to volunteer your car. Let me know