1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Inventory Listing on Toyota website

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. drw

drw Junior Member

We are about to buy our first Prius, and have been waiting to find our exact color/package combination, as none of our local dealers have what we want. I have been checking the Toyota site daily, and today the number of Prius cars available jumped from around 200 to over 1,000, most of them available later in June (6/13, 6/21)

What is strange is that pretty much every one of the cars that just appeared today (starting with those available 6/13 and later) have a MSRP of 30,000+, and it appears they all have every possible accessory- (splash guards, tinting, etc, etc). Every single one of them that I looked at had the dual headrest dvd system installed, which is something that you rarely see.

It just seemed odd to me that every car had every option possible, when up until today almost none of them had any of that stuff……… Does anyone know how this works- is it possible that these new cars that just came into the system always have all the options listed in the beginning, and later will actually show what they have on them?

I just can’t believe that every Prius that is coming available from June 13 on is completely loaded with options- I wouldn’t think there would be too many people lining up to buy a $33,000 Prius with a lot of stuff on it that most don’t want…….

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    drw, welcome to the site. The equipment you mention is not coming from the factory. It sounds like the stuff is being added on when the car arrives at the port. I'm not the expert but you may have some success in keeping the stuff off the car if you can buy it in transit. You can always try, "no extra stuff or no deal" and follow the advice at www.carbuyingtips.com. Happy hunting.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is not an economy car, and Toyota wants to maximize profit.

4. starletta8

starletta8 New Member

I have another question about the inventory website- these are all of the cars that are coming into the US in the next 30-90 days, right?

If you were promised a car and given a VIN, should that VIN show up on the inventory site?

5. drw

drw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 5 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]456143[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the welcome, JimN.......... Yeah, I figured that that extra stuff was being added at some point, but it still seems awfully strange.

I just checked again- there are 1,048 Prius cars available (this is the Southeast region) and every single one of the June 13 and later cars are loaded to the max- even package 2 cars are running over $30,000. If this was just half of them, I might could understand it, but ALL of them?

Another example- 800 of the 1,048 (pretty much all of the later June arrivals) have the almost $2,000 dvd headrest installed. Before these new cars hit the site, I think I saw 2 cars with DVD installed in over a month of looking......

Another example- 635 of them have the 17" wheel with Pirelli tires option, which costs $1,575- how many potential Prius buyers want that? Once all of the 6/9 cars are gone, there will be 800 or so Prius cars available in the Southeast, and every single one of them will be over $30,000.

Maybe its legit, but it sure seems strange- as hot as the Prius is, those cars are going to be hard to sell- over $30,000 for a package 2???? $34,000 for a package 5 or 6?

We will keep looking, and have a deposit with our dealer to get one just like we want, which is a package 6, but no way will I spend $34,000 for one.....

Thanks again for the welcome!

6. b777

b777 New Member

Join Costco and use their auto buying service. Invoice plus 2%, but at Toyota Grapevine, TX I think you can do better. They have plenty of Prius and Camry Hybrids.

7. drw

drw Junior Member

An update- everything appears to be back to normal on the Toyota Southeast inventory........

All of those 800+ cars are now back to showing the usual options, and are back to their normal prices....(package 6 cars back to their normal $27,000+ instead of $34,000)

I knew that what was out there yesterday could not be correct..........

8. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drw @ Jun 6 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]456597[/snapback]</div>
    Any idea where I would go to try and figure out inventory/allocation/arrival at port for Colorado? What's that in Toyota parlance, Toyota Mountain or something? Or is it only the SE-er that have this ability? Thanks.