1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius involved in head on collison

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mpress, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mpress

Mpress Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver of the Prius somehow crossed the yellow line and hit a van head on. More details and pictures can be found here: Gallery - Delaware City Fire Company - New Castle County, Delaware

The driver of the van sustained minor injuries and was released.

Unfortunately the driver of the Prius died. He was a local civil-rights icon that was well known through-out the state of Delaware. More information about him can be found here:

Littleton Mitchell, a pioneer of civil rights movement, dies after crash at age 90 | Delawareonline.com | The News Journal

Attached Files:

2. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh my goodness. That is just bad. It looks like the Prius was really moving. I am very surprised the other driver was ok.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    looks like the Prius went under the van from the damage to the door window frame.

I wondered if he was exercising his right to not wear a seatbelt but I doubt that would have made my difference in this instance.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    "somehow" he crossed the yellow line?? at 90... gee i wonder... the story on his life is awesome and its easy to see why the governor honored his passing.

but maybe another point to make on more stringent testing of older drivers is in order here.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think so. If you're referring to the cuts to the roof pillars, they were done by the rescue crews to cut the roof from the car.

6. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Photos don't show roof damage, but from the drive door frame damage, which usually follows roof, it seems there was heavy intrusion of the cabin from the roof. Most likely due to the car ending up under the van or related. That is most likely the cause of death, as there is no major intrusion into the seat part of the cavity. Without that roof intrusion, and with a proper seatbelt, this accident looks survivable.

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or he might have died before he crossed the centre line.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is survivable for the average 20 or 40 year old is much different than what is survivable for the average 90 year old driver, even after selecting only those who are still driving at that age.

9. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Looking at the pictures, it looks like any cabin intrusion had to be up top, because the position of the dash doesn't look like it was pushed back into the cabin area.

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I still don't believe the car ran up under the van. I've seen many wrecks over the years, and I've never seen a vehicle run up under another unless there was significant clearance beneath a part of the other vehicle -- i.e., a truck. I'm not saying it couldn't happen; I'm sure it could under the right circumstances. But the impact area here is the left front of the car from top to bottom, suggesting a direct angular frontal impact.

The roof could have had some impingement into the passenger compartment, but my bet it was limited and likely due to distortion from secondary forces transferred from the front. Look at the remnants of the roof pillars, especially the "B" pillars. They still point straight up with no gross deformity other than where they were cut by the rescue crews.

This is a serious impact with significant instantaneous energy transfer. The air bag and seat belts soften the blow to the occupant somewhat, but there are still deceleration forces ripping at vital structures within the body. As Fuzzy suggests, a 90 year old brain, aorta, or liver will damage more easily from such forces and will be less likely to respond to treatment than those in a body a fourth or half that age.

EDIT: OK, like many of you apparently, I did not originally chase the link to the fire company's web page. On that page there is a picture of the roof lying on the ground top down, quite intact other than where the pillars were cut by rescue tools. I am now quite confident the car did not run up under the van and, again, it was a direct angular frontal impact.

And as BAllanJ says, the collision could have been the effect of his death, not the cause.

11. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't see an indication of the van ending up on top either. At age 90 the sudden stop would likely be enough to result in any one of several types of fatal damage to the driver. The dash and steering column are buckled in and damaged badly enough that blunt force trauma to the torso could easily be fatal to him (brain, aorta, liver, even rib punctures of the lungs.) The footwell probably crumpled enough that the lower legs/feet/ankles would be a mess and/or the major thigh bones may have been shattered. That could be fatal as well.

This is the most dangerous kind of head on for the driver--an off center impact that is absorbed primarily on the driver's corner.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At that age it's also possible that the driver died, and *then* went across the center line.

Tom

13. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This accident is a perfect example of why millions of American women are driving big SUVs to the super market these days. They feel safer. And they are usually safer in a collision with a smaller vehicle, as this accident illustrates. The driver of the van walked away.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the other hand, they are much more likely to be involved in a fatal single car rollover accident. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Tom

15. CASUMIK

CASUMIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    how about a prayer or moment of silence for this man and his family and friends(in reading the article he is clearly a true american hero)

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, that's terrible. such a tragic way to go.

i narrowly avoided a head-on with a lane drifter just the other day. ran my car into the ditch or it might have wound up looking like that too.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Were they talking or texting on the cell phone? I hate that.

Tom

18. Mpress

Mpress Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to post an update. The driver of the prius was alive, conscious, and sitting up and talking to rescuers and bystanders after the impact. Unfortunately, it looks like he sustained internal injuries and died while having emergency surgery.

It's still not clear as to why he crossed the double yellow line. Although he was 90 years old, his age was just a number. Mr. Mitchell was highly intelligent and got around much better than most 40 to 50 year old people I know. It was just a couple of weeks ago I asked him if he wanted to switch Prius's because I had just bought a silver one, and he had just bought a black one, the color I wanted. He traded in a black Gen I prius for his 2009 Prius.

I'll post any updates that I can.

19. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends!

I can't tell about the area below the steering wheel, but to me it seems that the driver's compartment is fairly intact, given the extent of this crash and the condition of the rest of the car. Am I wrong?

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, that and the frequency of SUV/truck passengers/drivers not wearing seat belts is also rather high. I've lost count of the number of what should have been minor accidents in SUV's that resulted in multiple fatalities for this reason.