1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius is a fast depreciating piece of technology!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Fore, Nov 9, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP, how many miles on your 2010 Prius II? What condition?

What Tacoma did you have? 2 door base model or 4 door 4WD ???

Specifics please!

Here's a 2007 Tacoma base model Access Cab w 76k miles for $16k 2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Auto 2WD - Ready for a new Home

a 2007 Prius Touring w 79k miles asking $13k 2007 Toyota Prius (Leather, Nav, Bluetooth!) touring

2007 Prius Touring w 86k mi asking $15k 2007 Toyota Prius Touring - Leather - Navigation - Bluetooth - 1-Owner

another 2007 Prius Touring 102k mi asking $12k 2007 Toyata Prius TOURING/LEATHER

So, just how is Prius a bad resale value?

What is the KBB and Nadaguides value on your car? Quick cause this thread is worthless without specifics.

No, you look up the KBB on your car or whatever. Not doing it for you.

How many miles are on YOUR car? What condition??

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It is hard to know if you got a really good deal on your first purchace causing it to look like the tacoma gained resale value over this period. with used cars it is hard to make this type of compairson.

It sounds to me like you need to decide what type of car you want. and drive it. If you always want to change cars your driving and are upset that it costs money. That is just life. Car lots are in business and will try to make a living, can you blame them. :)

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...well, I learned something...I did not know Toyota Tacoma was such a good vehicle. But Prius is also. I have a mini-van for hauling and Prius for most miles per year. Works for us with two drviers.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A co worker has a Tacoma 4x4 gets horrible mileage, costs $60 to full it up and no NAV screen has to use his phone and the ride is ruff. He likes the truck. I like my Prius much better.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two comments;

(1) Those are Craigslist 'Asks', not average selling prices after negotiations. OP is getting shaved by the Ask-Offer spread, which always hurts and is larger from dealerships.

(2) Those postings are stale, 10 to 24 days old, so they are strongly biased towards overpriced offers from dealerships. Average offer price will be significantly lower, but you'd need to include the offers that stay up just a few days or hours. Average selling prices will be even lower still.

Before my first-ever foray into selling anything on CL last week, I heard from others that good cars sell fast. But despite pricing a mechanically-challenged Subaru at the highest level I could comfortably charge an acquaintance, I still wasn't prepared for the frenzy. My ad stayed up only two hours. Next time, I'll start higher.

7. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only place a used car does not depreciate , is in your dealers
    Used car lot price

Tony D and JMD like this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm out of this thread.

Not worth discussing things without specifics like - what type of 2006 Tacoma are we talking about with how many miles?? How many miles are on his 2010??

The biggest factors in resale of any vehicle are miles on the car and condition and we don't know squat about either thus far, and the OP isn't offering, just playing. Later.

9. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ok, so it looks like I struck a nerve with a couple of you, so here’s the specs.
    (1) Traded in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD Package with lots of extras added to it (Not going to go into detail here) for $18,500 it had 70,000 miles on it.
    (2) Bought a 2010 Toyota Prius II in early 2012 for $18,500 OTD it had at the time 10,500 miles on it.
    (3) Both were in excellent storeroom condition, that’s how I keep my cars.

Was looking at the exact Toyota Tacoma Prerunner I had but it’s a 2006 with 50,000 miles on it going for $19,999
    My current 2010 Toyota Prius II has 32,500 miles on it, I’ve up graded it myself with fog lamps, seat covers, led lights, window visors, backup camera, mud flaps, all weather floor mats. new Michelin tires
    According to Kelly Blue book my car is only worth $13,500 for a trade in, around $15,000 if I sell it private.
    I was merely stating how ironic it was that a 2006 Tacoma Prerunner truck has not depreciated at all and my 2010 Prius has depreciated a whopping $5,000 from when I first bought it. You don’t find that odd or strange or the least bit strange?

10. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure its true. If your prius was worth less than your tacoma when you got it. then you lost money on that trade. a year later go to trade back for a similar tacoma with less miles than your original then you should expect to pay more. car lots make a profit or they are not in business.

If you are wanting to know what depreciation was you should compair blue book value of tacoma in 2012 and what it is now. and also compair the prius then to now in the same way. then you will have numbers that make sence. I always sell my cars on craigs list. and buy cars without a trade. I have had several times where dealers offered only a fraction of what a car will sell for. a couple of cars back a dealer offered me 1100 for my 94 ford f350 diesel crewcab 4x4. I sold it myself in one week for 8900. It had lots of miles but was in nice shape and everything worked properly. A year ago was offered 500 for 99 k1500 suburban, it also was in nice shape, I sold it for 4300. Dealers don't want cars with lots of miles or if they are not very easy to sell. If they pay you top dollar the are making a double profit on the car they are selling. again they do this for a living and if they dont make money they go out of business.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    50k miles on prerunner 2006 is really low miles (7 year old truck).

I could see them offering only $13.5k for your 2010 in your area. There's a 2010 w/ 38k dealer asking almost $17k. They're trying to make money.

You should be able to pull about $16.5k private sale out of your prius since only 32k miles and has add ons.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All vehicles depreciate.

On the bright side, Prius would be among a rare class of vehicle that holds the possibility of actually increasing in value in relationship to the increase of gas prices.