1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius is not reversing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ANURAG SARIN, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ANURAG SARIN

ANURAG SARIN New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi All,

I own a 2013 Prius IV. It was making strange noise while reversing for last few weeks. Last evening it suddenly stops reversing, while in a parking lot. I got in trouble as my car is parked in the community center parking lot and I am wondering what to do.

It seems that engine is trying to reverse but back wheel is stuck and is not moving. If I use race while reversing, car starts to lift at the back.

I can not drive the car home or to dealership as it parked in front of a fence, reversing out from the parking space is the only option.

I appreciate responses and advise.

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ??? What do you mean by "back wheel is stuck" or "use race" or "engine is trying to reverse"?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her? any dash lights?

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unplug the 12v battery and wait a couple of minutes. Press the power button 3 times, it will reset some of the settings. Turn car completely off, put in ready and try reverse. If no luck, could be bad transmission.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a rear wheel or brakes are locked. If the rear is lifting, then the engine and transaxle are working, but the rear tires are locked in place, not letting the car move.

I would jack up the rear end one corner at a time and see if the wheel turns by hand. Make sure the parking brake is off, although that may be part of the problem if it's jammed.

I had my wife's Santa Fe act up a while ago, where the ABS module maintained pressure on the front passenger side and rear driver side tires with the pedal released. Came over a small rise and had a red light. Gently applied brakes, light went back to green, let off brakes and car kept slowing down. Locked the car down. Had to beat the hell out of the brake pedal with both feet and back braced against the seat to get it to finally pop loose and let me get moving again. Initially thought trans must have locked up, but the car would lift every time I tried moving forward or reverse, it just wouldn't roll. Flushed the heck out of the brakes when I got home and then that weekend, replaced ABS module and all problems went away. That's one reason I never push brake calipers back in until after I open the bleeder to let fluid out instead of going backwards through system to the reservoir. No more chunkies going back into the system.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    GrGramps likes this.
  6. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Put your car in drive
    2. Floor the brake pedal, then gas while keeping brake floored (yes, floor both pedals)
    3. Wait till your traction battery almost fully charged
    4. Try reversing again.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about set parking brakes just in case?