1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Jackstand position

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got no problems with the bearing points in the pics I posted. Basically the opposite of the knife edge on that lower edge seam: a broad, heavy gauge rail, spreads the load.

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The old ones I have from Harbor Freight dont dent anything. They fit perfect.

Of course YMMV.

Carry on!

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever works for you, is fine with me. It's your car.

In the 1960's, 1970's or even the 1980's car were made much sturdier with thicker sheet metal.

The Prius, as with many other cars of the new millennium, are made of much thinner and lighter metals with channels and box semi-monocoque or unibody sections.

For me, I will only use the Toyota recommended methods and jacking points.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am also very uncomfortable with jacking unit body cars.

When I was 16, I jacked up dads Mazda 929 with a bottle jack, and put a good dent on the "frame". I learned to treat these things with great care.

Mike500 likes this.
  5. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do also!

Mike500 likes this.
  6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've been all over this country and have seen many vehicles, including the "cut and shut" cars that are legal in Mexico and old totally rusted out unibody cars from up north.

You won't see as many reconstruction cars from those of the new millennia, because their bodies are made to crumble in a crash, and are made from thin as possible sheet metal to increase MPG.

Those of you from the UK know about the MOT certificate. Like MOT, "cut and shut" cars are illegal to transfer in many sates in the US.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have used the same jackstand positions that you show in your pictures many times and have never had any issue.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I've found an alternative to the rear pinch weld proscribed jack stand location. There's an area, just inboard and a little forward, clear of plastic underpanel, and it looks to be heavy gauge, reinforced. Here's a pic to show the vicinity:

Prius 2010 Underside Photo - jackstand points.jpg

Rear of vehicle is to the left. The two 45 degree red rectangles are the new rear jack stand points I'm trying.

Note just to left of the rectangles are a black plastic plugs. One of ours was missing, and the dealership parts department tells me they have spares on hand, the plugs are put in at the dealership when they receive the vehicle. The area is heavy gauge, double layer. Which leads me to suspect those holes are for some sort of locating or locking pin, maybe used during shipping.

m.wynn likes this.
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Really, it's a nice picture overall...(y)

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Either you used a fisheye lens with a lot of distortion, or your car seriously needs a 4 wheel alignment lol. :D

SCH-I535

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not my car, someone else posted that here. We just now picked up a freeby replacement for the missing plug, from the dealership. I talked to them and they confirmed, the opening is in a reinforced zone, meant for some sort of pin. It's used during shipping.

There's an extra layer of heavy gauge plate, and it has a ridge at one corner, a good fit for a jack stand cradle.

12. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm trying to figure out if there's suitable center jack points on the Gen 3 prius as I've been using the pinch weld points by the wheels to do my tire swaps. Are there any center jack points for the front and rear?

thanks!

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah there are front and rear jack points. It's shown in the Owners Manual. The rear points circle in this pic, and the front one is just out of frame, I've tried to flag it. It's pretty obvious when you look under the front: there's a circular opening in the engine underpanel, it's there.

Capture.JPG

My 2 cents: I'd never use the pinch welds for anything, even just safety stands. Especially the front. I lift with either the front or rear central jacking points, then settle onto jackstands at the points at the pic up the page. The points along the pinch weld are in no way reinforced.

#33 Mendel Leisk, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  14. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Cool.. Thanks!