1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius just started vibrating in the dash area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EricGroce, Feb 3, 2021.

1. EricGroce

EricGroce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So I added a video of the vibration... The car's got about 164,000 mi and seem to run fine for the test drive and the drive home and the first day my wife drove it

However it started vibrating and the vibration kind of reminds me of ping or spark knock?

I read several different things, several suggestions, some people have suggested that it is simply a vibration in the dash

Others have suggested that a heat shield is vibrating

Somebody had also suggested that what may be happening is the VVTi Cam oil screen might be plugged causing a ping situation

And still others have suggested that or maybe some problem in the valve train of the engine I'm not really leaning that direction has the engine seems to run all right

I guess one way that I could check to confirm that it is spark knock would be to put high octane fuel in it and see if the problem goes away

It is interesting note that it was not doing this then we put a nearly full tank of gas in it A solid 9 gal

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shake your tail pipe real hard... Or at least a guy did that for me once to make the exhaust shielding not rattle... But if it's an engine ping try new spark plugs, air filter and clean mass air flow sensor and throttle body. And if the problem only happens at 80mph don't drive that fast! It's not only not safe and it's against the law!

Also please be provide way more information. The video's sound quality is way too poor to notice the problem...