1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Keys

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mainframe, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jasq

jasq Junior Member

I bought a new smart key. Toyota wants $75 to program it, and needs all the fobs at one time. Is this a dealer only secret, or does anyone know how to program the smart key? Also, as far as being locked out, I saw a post somewhere which says you can call someone who has the same remote as you, ask them to hold it up to their cell phone and press the unlock button while you hold your cell phone next to the door, and, presto! Many times the door will unlock. It works on my 05 Prius.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"I saw a post somewhere which says you can call someone who has the same remote as you, ask them to hold it up to their cell phone and press the unlock button while you hold your cell phone next to the door, and, presto! Many times the door will unlock. It works on my 05 Prius."

I doubt this. See the Urban Legend link below:
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

3. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Fayette County, PA (50 miles SE of Pittsburgh)
    jasq,

Just wondering where you're located? My local dealership, in Fayette County, PA, only charges around $35 to program a fob! Probably too far away from most PriusChat members (I've only seen 3 other Prius locally, not counting the Barcelona red one currently on the dealer's lot).
    But if anyone is considering visiting 2 local Frank Lloyd Wright creations (Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob), or enjoying the whitewater rafting at Ohiopyle State Park (there's also a very nice bike trail), bring along your Prius and your unprogrammed fobs! Call Eddie Z. at Uniontown Toyota (724) 437-8422, and get a bargain rate while you're in the area! :) Just tell Eddie that Lisa P. sent you.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

cellphone speakers can only transmit audible tones in the sub 20,000 hertz frequency. that is WAAAAY less than a tenth of the frequency you need

5. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Fayette County, PA (50 miles SE of Pittsburgh)
    Yeah, back when I first read the claim that you could transmit the signal via cellphone, I sent the kids outside to try it, and it didn't work.

6. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yes, they do. Although if they have never seen a Prius mechanical key, they might say we don't have that blank. Just tell them that a standard Toyota blank will work.

The first one I had made didn't work so I thought Toyota had done something tricky with their lock. I asked to have another one cut and that one works fine. What was funny is that I went around to try the plastic key on the passenger side door. Where's the lock? Heh, heh. First car for me with a lock on the driver's door only.

I keep a spare FOB in the car hidden with the battery removed.

The best time to consider getting a spare smart key is when you purchase the car or have a service done. It doesn't take long at all to program and mine was done free of charge while I waited less than 10 minutes. $200 for my spare SKS, dealer price.