1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius less economical as experience and miles pile on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cbs4, Nov 5, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cbs4, would you mind posting what was listed on your ro as parts replaced? seeing what was replaced would tell the real story.

2. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Frankly, I'm not sure whether the RO reflects the real story or not.

There is zero parts pricing information, zero labor time hours, zero labor time costs, and zero labor operations codes for the headlamp work to decipher a book time from... other than the initial diagnostics code of 51T0Z-DIAG1.

Furthermore, there is zero mention of the other supposed computer that the Service Writer suggested might need to be replaced but then said the technician told him no. Yet the Service writer made zero mention of the fact that the wrong replacement bulb was ordered. The invoice pretty much has all zeros, which is to be expected with a warranty claim.

Maybe the only information on the RO is what is necessary for Toyota to reimburse the dealer for the work. And as expected, despite my asking several different people in various capacities (ie, an unknowing cashier, the person who called to say our car is ready, the inhouse rental clerk), and despite craning my neck over the counter to do a Superman scan of all the hard copy paperwork that stays with the dealership, I was unable to garner anymore information regarding this four business day repair other than two part numbers:

81107-47150 COMPUTER SUB-ASSY
    90981-20015 BULB, HID

The service writer had gone home for the day when I picked up the car, so I was unable to ask him to once again itemize the $2,000.00 figure he quoted me.

From the Trademotion site, I was able to determine the cost of the HID bulb is $304.14.

The "computer sub assembly", referred by the technician's comment as a "headlight ECU", all which I would have thought was commonly called an HID ballast, but note that term wasn't used on the RO, is not listed on Trademotion's parts catalog under the part number provided.

3. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Another part of the real story is that there is now a bolt missing from the front bumper/air deflector assembly.

We picked up the car at night (dealership is open until midnight), so I was not able to inspect the car until this morning.

I've already changed oil in the car six times within the last 10 months, so I'm fairly familiar with what it is supposed to look like underneath.

Bolt was there when I brought the car in six days ago. Bolt is not there this morning.

4. cbs4

cbs4 Member

And now, the real story gets even better...

My wife just called, after having just left the Toyota dealership to report the missing bolt.

Someone from the dealership came out to put in a bolt, but they had the wrong one. My wife suggested that he take out a similar adjacent bolt so that he would have the right size. He did, and this time came back with the right sized bolt, but guess what?

The reason that the bolt is missing is because the hidden part that the bolt is supposed to thread into is also now missing!

As a result of the dilly dally at the dealership this morning, she won't be able to get home until 9 or 10 pm tonight, we still don't have a fully fixed car, she is now out on the road with who knows is missing from behind and beneath the air dam of her car, AND, we have to bring it in tomorrow, to leave it for who knows how long once again.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suggest that you make a complain to the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1800-331-4331 and find another dealer.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    see... stupidity.

can you describe where the missing bolt was? i'll see what DH has to say after work tonight, provided he's feeling ok.

7. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Aw, shucks, I should have taken a picture! I thought the dealership would be able to fix it right away, no big deal. Little did I know.

The car won't be back home until very late tonight, and then it will be off again to the dealership as the sun rises.

There are a series of hex headed body bolts, probably taking a socket size of 10mm to 12mm between the flats, with a captured fender washer and a #3 phillips drive head, that are spaced about every 10 inches under the perimeter of the front air dam. These bolts hold the bumper cover in place, and simultaneously capture the front flange of the under car engine air deflector. It is one of these bolts that went MIA as a result of the headlight repair.

It is unclear what part it is that the missing bolt is to be threaded to. I've since spoken with the (different) service writer who made the termination, and I suspect that part desciption semantics plays a big part in the confusion swirling around the service department of that dealership.

That writer said that the car will go back to the same technician who chose to ignore installing the bolt, and whatever the bolt bolted to, in the first place. He further said that that technician will be the final and only arbiter of whether the car is complete and made whole again, and that there was nothing further he could do but to accept that technicians word.

Upon hearing this, I decided to take Scotty up on his suggestion to contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center, and established a case number.

Without having the car in front of me, it is hard to determine what the missing piece could possibly be, but I've spent a lot of time this morning and this afternoon trying to deduce it, because I was not satisfied with the dealer's word that the car was safe for my wife to be driving 200+ miles in today.

As an aside, the fact that I've spent so much time now on this Toyota is further grist in the mill of my opinion about it, but that is another matter.

Anyway, to the best that I've been able to deduce while sitting in my office, or maybe what I'm just hoping for, is that the other "part" that is missing is perhaps just a speed nut that clips onto either the bumper cover or the air deflector through which the missing bolt engages.

8. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 8 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]345847[/snapback]</div>
    I can only suggest that you run, don't walk, but run away from that dealer. I hope you have another who is reasonably close. It sounds to me like you would have been in and out with no cost if the service department was in any way competent.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 8 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]345847[/snapback]</div>
    So I guess the underlying story is don't blame Toyota for expensive parts, blame the dealer for expensive "labour" lol

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 8 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]345487[/snapback]</div>
    HIDs have a much longer life than halogens- but he doesn't know offhand how long exactly they're supposed to last. part+ labor to replace one should be $300-$400 for the part, plus maybe .5 hours labor.

and, you're welcome. the chance is very small, but since the chance is there and dealers are out there screwing people left and right... here we are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 8 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]345623[/snapback]</div>
    well, on the invoice you'd likely not find something that was suggested by the writer but determined not to be needed by the tech. and the wrong bulb order wouldn't be on the invoice either. that was their responsibility to call and tell you, which they did not do.

however, it is strange that there are no op codes.

there's a whole separate form for that.

well, clearly he was full of it. there's no way that would come to $2000. that isn't what it would cost.

direct quote from DH: "a service writer's job is not to &^%#* diagnose cars." a final diagnosis, determined by the tech, will determine the cost. it really does not make sense for the writer to inflate the cost like that and scare off a customer.

that is an hid ballast. the computer contains the ballast.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 8 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]345847[/snapback]</div>
    ok, that sounds like the bolts that hold the engine undershield splash guards in place. if those are what you refer to, you have nothing to worry about. they just hold the splash guard to the bumper cover.

your problem lies 100% with the dealer.

1. they gave you a grossly overinflated cost to fix your headlight, which got you upset, and probably never checked to see if a simple replacement bulb would do the trick (by taking the working bulb and putting it into the malfunctioning side or vice versa)
    2. they took way too long and rather than let you know it was taking so long because they effed up, they chose to leave you in the dark, making you more upset.
    3. as for this bolt thing, we don't yet know what this is, but either they left out a bolt and clip they shouldn't have, or couldn't explain to you that it was just to hold on the splash shield and wasn't necessary rather than have you leave your car with them for even longer and deal with more trips back and forth to the dealership.

had you gone to a competent dealer you would have

1. gotten a diagnosis the first time you went in
    2. had correct part(s) ordered and arrived before you came in
    3. had part(s) installed the day you brought the car in and gotten it back
    4. not gotten a $2000 quote for a not-$2000 job that you didn't have to pay for in the first place.

11. igglue

igglue New Member

I was 2nd or 3rd person in this and previous job I was in. (I started in this new job 6 months ago). Each time people say something like "It must be wonderful to save $". I tell them "If you want to save money, get Corola. Because you will never recoup the cost compared to economical car like the Corola with manual transmission.". And the other part is "I never think 2x about gas anymore. When you get 400-500 to a tank and a full tank is <= $30, even if it goes up by $1, it's only $10".

There are 2 factors involved as to maintaining a car.
    1. Repair Service/Engineering. Simpler designs, and more that mechanics deal with specific car makes it less likely that mechanic will have to fix it and when they do, a lot easier.
    2. Volume. More cars are out on the street, more repairs are needed. More repairs are needed, more $ are available. Volume drives the $ down on parts.

What makes expensive cars expensive is combination of 2. Expertise (because of lack of experience, or limited training due to limited exposure), cost of parts which is influenced by volume plays a big picture. Even if Prius was made to be simple (which the headlight assembly really is simple), because of volume, mechanics will not be interested to take risk (or even us for that matter) and cost (part and speciality labor) is way too high. What I pray for is that there's another year of production of 2nd gen prius, and quantities increase and there will be more oem parts available, and more people will learn how to fix Prius. That said, I purchased 4 year maint. package, along with 7yr/100k $0 deductible warranty.

I learned this when I owned a A6 4.2 and dealer told me that I had to replace an axle when my cv boot was ripped. I was quoted almost $700 for a single axle (just the part). Where a 2.8, or 2.7t axle was pretty much 1/2 the price because "they only sell 2000 of these every year". Not to mention that I couldn't find a reman. axle either because they were rare.

This is a fan site and I have to agree with that some people do try to sell Prius hard. Prius is a green friendly car. Acceleration, and ride is tolerable. Suspension is wabbly. It does not compare to a luxury sedan or sports car. And the repair $ will never be comparable to a cars like Corola or Civic because there just isn't many other there.

Prius is unique and that's why everyone bought it. Prius was our way to say "NO" to the war and our oil depdency.

And for that uniqueness, we pay for it.

Oh, my headlights were stolen today so I need to see how much it will cost to fix it. (Covered by insurance, less deductible) but is it impossible to find Prius parts or what?

12. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]344222[/snapback]</div>

Don't loose a key it will cost you $1700 for a replacement!!!! I now work fora auto auction and if there is not a key we charge around $600 for a Toyota master key. The dealer will charge you $1700 . So don't loose your keys or it will be costly. FishHawk

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Nov 9 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]346149[/snapback]</div>
    the dealer will not charge you $1700 for a master key. in fact, the auction company is screwing people too. with no key, you need to buy two (if you want two, that's how many we get with a new prius anyway) new fobs at a couple hundred a piece, then have them do the ECU reset. even at the dealer, fobs plus labor should be in the $600 range for two new programmed keys, not just one master.

more info is listed here:
    the end of the "don't lose your keys or else" myth

14. c4

c4 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 8 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]345487[/snapback]</div>

Typical HID headlight bulbs are rated for around 3000 hours on-time. Note however that this figure is typically the time for 50% brightness, ie, by the time 3000 hours rolls around, your headlights are only half as bright as they were when new.. The brightness vs lifetime curve of HID bulbs is something like: new=nominal brightness + up to 20%, after 1% of rated lifespan=nominal brighness, and after that, a gradual decrease in brightness such that at rated lifespan, the output is about 50% of nominal.. In other words, the bulbs may actually operate much longer than 3000, but they may no longer produce a suitable level of light..

Compare this with typical halogen bulb lifetimes which range from 800-1500 hours for a standard OEM bulb, to as little as 30-40 hours for one of those high-brightness Silverstar or equivalent aftermarket bulbs.. Sylvania in a "cash grab" move recommends yearly changing of headlamp bulbs because they claim that even halogen bulbs decrease in brightness as they age (this can happen, but the effect is nowhere near as dramatically as HID, and in most cases, halogen bulbs still produce close to rated output up until the time they die)..

15. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]344222[/snapback]</div>
    I put a new 12V battery in my2002 prius a few months ago, it cost me $80. Seemed like a reasonable price for a low volume battery.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Nov 9 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]346264[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, cause my dad's 02 Camry's lights seem to still output adequate light, as yellow as it may be lol.

My Silverstars haven't dimmed after a year, although the left one blew out prematurely. Canadian Tire had 1-yr warranty on the bulbs so I just replaced it for free (thank goodness).

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]344113[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! your car's already out of warranty? So you really must have racked up the mileage. To bad you didn't get the extended warranty. I got one for our '04 and we got a lot of time/miles left on it. As for the HID light, I've seen them under a grand on ebay ... you mean you didn't check around?

As for the MFD? Under warranty, our south orange county CA Toyota dealer charged the factory around $1,500 (again under warranty). As for the battery, I don't have any experience. However, if your 1st 3 goodies went "overpaid" i'd guess the last one went by way of the prior 3. You know what W.C. Fields used to say ...

18. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Being in the maintenance business, I can comment.....

I am not a car mechanic but an aircraft tech. I take care of two private business jets for a corporation in the Boston MA area.

I don't know where CBS hails from but anyone who would pay $2000 for a headlight replacement is a half a bubble off center. I'd be taking the dealer into court on that one. If the repair WAS actually that much, then I breathlessly await the Repair Order details. I'd be willing to bet that a lot more was replaced that just the headlight....for whatever reason, if that's all you went in for you got TAKEN. Find a new dealer and always ask for a esitmate or a do not execeed quote.

As for your other problems, I feel for you. When one buys a new auto, you expect to be able to drive it a LONG time before any MAJOR repairs are needed. It really wouldn't matter to me that most of the stuff he is talking having about having problems with would be covered under warranty....you just don't want a new car to be breaking down all the time. It's a pain, given that it interrupts your daily routine and just generally causes heartache.

I also have an 06 model that I bought just a few months ago. I already have almost 5,000 miles on it and so far I am VERY happy with it. Just luck of the draw I reckon.....

I'd say that after seeing THOUSANDS of post here from Prius owners who are VERY happy, your experience has been abnormal.

I know that doesn't help you out but if your really THAT sour on the car, sell it and buy something else.

Good luck. :)

19. wanmichael

wanmichael New Member

It really sounds like the dealership tech was using the shotgun approach to repairs.

Guess this should serve as a forewarning to me to avoid Roseville Toyota for out-of-warranty repairs.

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two