1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius liftback with trim 4 or 5?? comments please :D

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Amy B, Oct 27, 2014.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Five has a different suspension so it won't ride like a Four. The 17" wheels will knock a bit off the fuel economy.

PCS retracts the seat belts and applies additional braking force to minimize the effects of a collision. The DRCC & LKA make long haul driving more civilized. The cruise control will keep a set distance to the vehicle in front, slowing (but not to a stop) and accelerating as needed. They'll pay for themselves when they avoid a collision.

IMO the fog lights are useless.

Isn't Safety Connect installed across the entire Toyota lineup?

I like the whiter light from the LED headlights.

Four-Solar & Five-AT are never plentiful. Shop through AAA or Truecar.com now. Declining gas prices depress hybrid sales and the new model most likely won't be sold at a discount when it debuts. The best time to buy a Prius is when you find exactly what you want on the lot at a fair price.

Happy hunting.

2. Morris Minor

Morris Minor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tossing in another thought, the end of the gen 3 is likely to be MRE reliable than the early models of the gen 4. Most bugs ironed out

3. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another thing to factor in, the 3rd Gen has been out since 2010, and the ''bugs'' should be pretty well worked out. The little things that pop up should have been revised and improved by the 2014-2015 model and should be a really reliable car.

4. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree about possible kinks to work out in the Gen 4 Prius -- and that would concern me even more with the coming new Volt. I'm very happy with my 2014 Prius 4, with no options added. Being retired I did have a (somewhat arbitrary) budget to work within and that was $30K. I ended up buying the last weekend in August, a few days before the 2015 models showed up, and while Toyota had a $1500 instant rebate -- so I got in a tad under $25K before tax and license. I needed Level 4 for the power driver's seat (needed most flexible driving position - sciatica), and really like the Softex seats. This is the first car without a sun roof I've purchased since 1980 -- but I found I never used the sun roofs in those earlier cars, so ... .

The Level 5 has some nice features, but it would have blown through the budget I set so I never seriously considered it. Coming from a 2003 Honda CR-V EX the electronic goodies in the decade-newer cars are very pleasing. And in the Prius they work, though I use a Garmin navigator because the screen in the Prius is sometimes too hard to see with sunshine on it and I'm very familiar with Garmin from our CR-V.

Anyway, loving my 2014 Prius 4 liftback!

Mauricio545 likes this.
  5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just opted for the '15 Persona with a smaller discount and the 0.9% apr for 60 months over the One of two 2014 level 5 lift backs w/o tech package on the lot leftover for an extra grand plus 0% apr for 60 months. I'm sure the tech package would have been nice and ads plenty of features but at a big price premium and as stated tech package was not avail to me..

My reasoning was the Persona had most of what the 5 had for 2 grand less even with the bigger disc….(softex, 17's, nav, back up cam...)

like stated above the fogs are pretty much pointless, the cleansing headlights are dumb (aka. randomly spray fluid everywhere and dirty up your clean hood and windshield). I obviously liked (who doesn't) the power seats, but honestly the JBL didn't seen much better if at all than the Personas stereo..

Oh and yeah the Persona has side view mirror blinkers which the top of the line 5 did not...

Mauricio545 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I heard the headlight washers were actually a necessity with the LED headlights, since they don't heat up enough to melt snow. So, a patch becomes a feature. ;)

7. sshiffrin

sshiffrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 5 and love it, especially the Dynamic cruise control. Only problem with the cruise control is if you travel and rent a car and don't have it. I find myself constantly reminding myself that I can't count on the car to automatically slow down like the driver in front of me.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The control stalk on the Cruise Control is pretty sweet. Our Canadian Touring doesn't have the radar; if I'm falling someone with the CC on, and they're slowing a bit, I'll just down-tap on the stalk once or twice, it seems like about 1 mph per tap is shaved off. If they keep slowing I say screw it and just pull the stalk towards me, cancels CC. If they pick up again, down tap and it's set, up-tap if they speed up.

Geesh, starting to sound like a lot of work, lol.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, eh? lol. I would do the same as you did with regular CC. I took the Tech Pack for the DRCC/PCS among other things. Of course, with DRCC, you're not just relying on your own vehicle's computers but you're relying on the actions of the vehicle in front. If the person ahead is smooth, yours will be too. If the person in front isn't paying attention, well then it's best you get off DRCC or change lanes lol.

10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can I ask how far away DRCC kicks in?