1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, lights, dashboard aren't getting power? Won't start.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dhevi4355, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

I've had my 2010 prius for just under a year. Everything had been working fine until recently. I got a Key Battery Low message on by dash, and replaced the battery in both fobs and the message went away. Monday night, about 3 weeks after replacing the batteries, I had driven to the store, got out, locked the car, did my shopping, came back went to get into my car, hit the unlock button on the fob, and received no response. No rear/front lights flashing to indicate the car unlocked. Nothing.

Popped out the metal key from the fob, got the door unlocked, got in to find that the car was completely unresponsive. At that time I was forced to leave the car in the store parking lot, get a ride home. I started looking online, and I think it's the Engine Immobilizer that kicked in.

I'm just trying to figure out where I go from here. Went back to the store lot Tuesday morning, tried the fob again, and this time it worked fine. Car started right up, as if nothing happened. I've had the rear battery replaced, but I had the same issue Thursday morning when getting ready to leave for work in the morning.

Any thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions before I see if the dealership has to get in there?

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suspect 12v battery again. Load test the 12v battery and check the terminals are tight.

What kind of battery did you put in? OEM, Optima? Did you charge it up prior to installing it?

3. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't offhand know if the battery was an OEM or not. I had my mechanics shop take a look at it and they replaced the AGM battery and charged it. Everything was working fine when I picked it up, made a couple stops around town. Then Again, no start. I can check the battery tonight when I get off work.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    One of the 12V battery cables is loose or they didn't clean the oxide off it.

5. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry I have been late in returning.

The connections too the battery are secure. Literally no oxidation to be found.

I used the key fob to unlock the doors as I came up to the car, turned it On, then off just like normal, but after I was done looking the battery over, I attempted to start it up again and 0 power throughout the car.

Attached Files:

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It IS possible for the battery itself to have an intermittent connection INSIDE......even when it is new.
    It is also possible for there to be a bad connection at one of the posts, even though they look and feel tight.
    The there is the other end of the negative cable where it connects to the engine or frame.

Having a meter or even a test light maybe would be VERY helpful.......so you can test the battery voltage when the car is failing.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There was a poster here who discovered that the battery's ground cable was securely fastened to the battery... but not to the vehicle chassis. The car had some body work done, and the ground cable wasn't securely attached.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replaced the ATM and charged it.

My first thought is they did not replace it they just charged it. And that battery is toast.
    In the future with a dead car turn on the headlights, if no headlights the AGM is dead. Your first post you thought it was the immobilizer. The headlight test Would have shown you that.

Best remedy for 12 volt follies on a car is to once a month throw a battery charger on the agm using the front jump points, it's charging behavior will give you a lot of warning it's about to go by by.

9. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car is completely powerless. No headlights, no cabin lights, nothing. I'll likely have to take it in, I don't have much time to throw away on it with my baby coming.

Thank you for all the ideas.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go online to local advance auto or autozone see if they have in stock a

OPTIMA YELLOWTOP BATTERY MODEL NUMBER DS46B24R

buy it online and pick it up locally around $180 out the door. It is a direct drop in replacement 12 volt battery.
    Good luck.

11. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's been a while since I could return to this. I was prepared to take the 12v battery out and have it tested. I decided to try jumping the car and immediately upon connecting the jumper cables my Prius woke up. The center dash is on. The power button is currently lit up, but with a orange/red light. Going to give the battery a full charge, but I may go ahead and get the optima yellowtop you've advised of. I hope all the trouble is something as simple as a battery that wasn't charged when installed...

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why haven't you talked to the mechanic who installed/charged it?

13. Dhevi4355

Dhevi4355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not at all pleased with the service I've gotten and am looking to go elsewhere. They finally admitted as to not having any experience with a Prius shortly after my prior posting and this hasn't been on the top of my priority list until recently.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it doesn't take any experience to replace the 12v, if they really did.