1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Limited

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AzWxGuy, Dec 7, 2021.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Now that I'm rapidly approaching the 36,000 mile end of the factory warranty and a year of driving, I have some thoughts about what I purchased. I really like the car for sure, with all the tech it does have. I feel very safe. But taking a look at the phone app and infotainment options I'm just not quite there. It used to be a vehicle with the LE for Limited Edition, or just plain Limited, meant you were getting something special that there weren't many of. Now it seems Limited stands for limitations. Yeah, my fault for not reading and comprehending more about what I was getting into. But you know how it is, the bright lights - big city make you key in on the features that it does have and rationalize some later improvement for the features you really can't use. The phone app is basically useless for me unless I need to call for roadside assistance. Even setting up a service appointment with the app just randomly assigns you to one of the service writers. Ah well, I'll enjoy what I can and be better prepared next time.

bisco likes this.
  2. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I had the same disappointment 5 years ago with my 2017 - sad to see there hasn't been much improvement in this area...

I don't think a different 2021 model would make a difference in this area.

3. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m really not sure what you’re expecting? It’s not a luxury vehicle. The terminology “limited” is marketing speak and meaningless, and simply conveys that you’re getting all the options available.

4. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve heard the LE trim on Toyotas described as the Lame Edition. Limited might be different than LE limited edition too. On my 2012 Prius I know it’s the 4 trim, which is a bit easier to understand IMO.

AzWxGuy and MIkeDr like this.
  5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm looking at 2022 models -- big difference between LE and Limited. The former is one of the less expensive trims; I drove one recently and the interior felt cheap compared to my 2007. It lacks key features that I want. The Limited is the most expensive, adding a more expensive stereo, auto leveling headlights and the head up display on the windshield. Since I can't find an XLE with front wheel drive I am considering a Limited. I would get more utility from its extras than from an XLE with AWD, and to me Nightshade is just a waste.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the life of me I don't understand why the strip out the spare on the higher levels*, even when there's no "technical" reason for it.

* Think it's gone on all but level "2", or whatever it's called now?

7. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I noticed it with the roll out of the Gen 4 when I was shopping for a used 2016 Prius a few years ago. So at least since 2016 model year. They kept the dip for a spare but filled it with foam.

This article was originally posted in 2018 Some Newer Cars Are Missing a Spare Tire - Consumer Reports

1/3 of new cars were sold without spares according to that.

Profit and efficiency are probably the main culprits. Even so, why still offer a spare in the lowest price trim? Maybe because that was the usual trim sold to fleets and some buyers insisted?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Guess it’d take gov insistence…

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weight is one reason I can think of. Otherwise if it crosses into another weight category for EPA mpg testing, they'll have to submit a separate test for that model (like they did for the Two Eco when the 2016 was launched).

Mendel Leisk likes this.