1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Limo???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Barcelona Red Lass, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Prius Limo

Prius Limo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 3 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]520644[/snapback]</div>
    There are several auction websites that allow non delaler purchases of salvage vehicles. I recommend ridesafely.com. Watch the auctions for several months to form a price and transportation stratege. Then bid low for a while to learn where the bottom line for pricing stops. All bidders are given the actual sale price when it has been determined. It is better to be surprised when winning a low bid than to get stuck with a bid that was too high. By watching the auctions for a while, you will learn a lot about what kind of damage leaves the drive train in tact, and also what kind of wrecks sell for more or less. Be prepared to sell all the extra parts on e-bay or something. You won't get much for the left over shell otherwise.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you're right- he's working on the reading- it's challenging stuff, he needs more time with my XP Pro-equipped computer.

you can take away his ability to fix em for a living, but never his interest in tinkering. ;) you know how that is.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 3 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]520666[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious why all the push for a 4wd ?
    The Hy Hi's not a 4wd, but kind of a quasi AWD in that there is no drive line conecting the front and rear wheels (same as our Lexus 400h).

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Oct 6 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]522189[/snapback]</div>
    You might cruise through the whole thread, because the owner is now a member of PC, and has posted his construction photos.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 5 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]521819[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah it's electric 4WD.

Besides, if the HiHy's system is setup as a 4WD-i, might as well no? It's gonna be lighter than the Sienna's AWD system (although I'm sure the HSD system will negate that weight benefit) and with a minivan, it doesn't hurt to have extra traction.

7. Prius Limo

Prius Limo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 13 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]512145[/snapback]</div>
    I have some new mileage data to share. The first numbers were a little disappointing. After three years of driving a hybrid, I thought I knew how to drive economically. Turns out this article (pasted below) helped me gain another four MPG overall. My city driving average is now up to 49 from 43 even though the trips rarely exceed 15 minutes. This has pushed my overall MPG over 50, even with the extra weight.

Here is a bit of helpful information if you are interested in getting the best fuel mileage out of your car. I have pasted the point that made the most difference for me below the link.

Why Don't I get the EPA Mileage"?? (Written by efusco)
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?autocom=art...rticle&id=3

8)Speed, braking, acceleration, and anticipatory driving--The MFD's Energy and Consumption screens present a degree of feedback unprecedented in any other stock vehicle. It acutely increases our awareness of what is happening from moment to moment, every 5 minutes, and over time.
    This has affected the way I drive dramatically and many other Prius drivers notice the same. I accelerate fairly briskly getting to speed. I don't floor it, but maybe depress the pedal 1/3rd way or so. Once I get over the 25-30mph mark I begin trying to 'Dead-band'--on the energy screen all power is from Engine (ICE) to wheels with no arrows to or from the battery. This is the most efficient power phase as there are no losses from converting the energy to potential energy in the battery back to kinetic energy for the wheels.
    I also try to anticipate stops well ahead of time. I've learned the timing of the lights on my usual commute and can often see them far ahead and know if I can make it by maintaining my current speed or if it will change before I get there. I watch the other traffic as well trying to anticipate what they might do I think that kind of anticipation makes for a safer driver in addition to making it possible to drive more fuel efficiently. When I know there is a stop say 1/2 mile ahead but there is traffic behind me I'll go into a "glide" mode. I take my foot completely off the accelerator for a second (you'll see just green arrows on the energy screen) then I very lightly depress it again to a 'no arrows' condition on the energy screen. That eliminates the 'drag' of the regenerative braking that occurs with the foot completely off the pedal. If I need to maintain a little more speed I'll press just enough to get the yellow arrows of electric only power. Once I see that I must stop then I'll firmly, but not hard, brake to try to use just regenerative braking (no friction brakes). When possible I try to avoid coming to a complete stop with this anticipatory method. If I can coast up to a red light and still be traveling 10mph that is 10mph plus no static friction from a stop that I have to use energy to get back.

Also, I almost never exceed the speed limit any more. The faster you go the lower your fuel economy will be. Esp. at speeds over 60mph the impact of air resistance, even in the low Cd Prius, is huge. Maintaining a steady speed that doesn't impede traffic allows the Prius ECUs to find the most efficient combination of ICE and Electric motor use.

8. xkcd

xkcd New Member

I still think it's a Photoshop.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey, xkcd, are you Randall Munroe?

If so, it's an honor to have you here.

Nate

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    xkcd! It's you, isn't it?

Here's proof, everybody!

http://www.xkcd.com/331/

You should write about us in your comic.

Nate

11. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 19 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]527875[/snapback]</div>
    I think he just did....

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Welcome to the forum, xkcd. I'm a HUGE fan of your comic. Anyway, I hope you buy a Prius, you'll love it.

Nate

13. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xkcd @ Oct 18 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]527588[/snapback]</div>
    It is not a photoshop take a look

Prius limo making of (french article)

lots of pics

[​IMG]

14. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyCo @ Oct 22 2007, 06:21 AM) [snapback]528780[/snapback]</div>
    You might have read the whole thread first...

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SyCo @ Oct 22 2007, 07:21 AM) [snapback]528780[/snapback]</div>

Yes, and read the xkcd comic. The last post is a joke.

Nate

16. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 22 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]528855[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I just did. For whatever reason the forum was pretty slow from here... so I've skipped a few pages :eek:

my bad ;)

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my. At the risk of this thread running even *longer* and straying
    far, far away from the original topic, see
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/xkcd/
    and then go look up the post-results on the xkcd forums...
    _H*

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius Limo @ Sep 15 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]513067[/snapback]</div>
    One of the photos of the car in the rain suggests there was a crack in the right rear quarter panel . . . or did I see something else?
    [​IMG]
    Ok, I see it is just the seam between the rear bumper cover and the quarter panel. Still, it seems larger than I remember seeing on stock Prius.

The loading on that same photo suggests it might have moved the center of gravity to the rear. My experience in the past has been that can lead to some interesting steering effects on other vehicles. Of course, I'm thinking of an old farm vehicle overloaded with hay.

Any rough idea of the new weight?

BTW, I'm impressed. This was not a trivial task and you've made something quite remarkable.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Oct 22 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]529014[/snapback]</div>
    True but the stock Prius is quite front heavy. The entire engine compartment is ahead of the front wheels! While the battery does help balance a bit, it's still front heavy.

Who knows, that picture might've been the only time a Prius had 50/50 weight distribution lol.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A