1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Long Term Storage

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MarkCA, May 30, 2017.

1. MarkCA

MarkCA New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Greetings! I am headed overseas for two years and required to store my Prius. Wanted to inquire with the group in regard to long term storage. Do I place the battery on a trickle charger? The facility is required to start the car every 30 days and do a general inspection but won't be driving any distance. Seems the best solution is to drive the car periodically, but that is not an option. Any guidance is appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    starting it is fine, as long as they leave it in 'ready' for a half hour or so. otherwise, you might have hybrid battery issues.
    and yes, keep a battery tender on the 12v. jack the car up and put it on stands.
    is it a storage area with potential rodent problems?

RCO likes this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only thing I'll add is that, generally speaking, NiMH batteries (I'm guessing you're talking about a non-Prime Prius here?) have a fairly-high self-discharge rate.

iPhone ? Pro

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sell your Prius. If you want, buy another when you return. You will lose WAY less money than trying to get this one working again.

(The 12 volt battery charges just as well in Park as being driven. If you were talking months I would suggest that.)

RCO and Sooner Al like this.