1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS MAGNETIC OIL DRAIN PLUGS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 21, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just did a quick Google search and FOUND a source of MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS, with applications that include TOYOTA PRIUS !! They are in Canada and take PayPal or Credit cards..............
    http://www.cgenterprises.com/magneticdrain...pplications.htm

It seems that PRIUS uses a 12-1.25, Part Number 1040M with GASKET #2403 !!
    $3.45 plus $5.00 shipping........... the 12mm gasket is made out of aluminum and cost an additional 19 cents ....
    CHECK IT OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks. I am going to take a look into getting one of these. There are some other vendors out there, so you may want to do some comparison shopping first. Another source I found is http://www.magneticdrainplug.com

Their plug for the Prius is model AP-03. It is $6.99 plus $0.35 for each extra washer. Shipping is $2.70, so the total cost is comparable to what FloridaWen found.

One big difference is the kind of magnet used. You should look for rare earth Neodymium magnets. Stay away from any drain plugs with exposed black magnets. These do not last and are harder to clean off.

3. kiwiruss

kiwiruss New Member

very interesting.

I'll be awaiting your evaluation. and whether its getting metal on it from inside your engine.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Isn't the Prius engine aluminum?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine

Aluminum does not attract to magnets. There might be other parts in the engine that are ferrite metals.

Anybody has any experience with these plugs?

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow!

Great point! I never thought of that. I would bet that the crank, rods, bearings, pistons and valves are all made of ferrous metal.

No matter what, the magnetic drain plug is probably good cheap insurance. If it removes anything metallic from the oil, it is doing its job and worth the $10 or so.

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Magnetic drain plugs are recommended for just about any car engine...

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 22 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]447372[/snapback]</div>
    I would certainly hope Toyota was smart enough to "sleeve" the soft aluminum engine block (cylinder bore)where the super-hard moly pistion rings go up and down............ now this would be (if properly sleeved) a definite ferrous metal to metal "wear point" !!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 22 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]447372[/snapback]</div>
    Years ago (showing my age once again :( ) I used MAGNETIC Oil Drain Plugs from the Chevy Corvette engine (available at ANY Chevy Dealer back then) in my Olds and Buick 350's (V8's) and 455's. I also used (aftermarket) MAGNETIC Drain Plugs in the MANUAL Transmissions and Rear Axle units. Sure 'nough, lots of metal "slivers" would "stand up" on the magnet like a "spiked hairdo" !!
    :rolleyes:

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could also just apply magnets near the drain plug or on the oil filter. I have done this for years.

9. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

As someone who is a metallurgist....

Muriatic acid does a great job of dissolving aluminum!, so does any hydroxide. Any Drain cleaner is a very powerful hydroxide and start working on dissolving that nasty aluminum in the engine. So drain the oil, put a gallon of muriatic acid in there and run the car for a while, then drain it and put fresh oil back in! (LOL)

Sorry I could not help myself!!! DONT do that.

Although a magnetic drain plug couldn't hurt it is probably not needed if you change the oil like one should. The oil filter should get most of any junk out, if you are getting shavings in the oil you would have some serious problems with the engine and usually by the time it would be effective its probably too late and its time for a rebuild or a new engine.

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've heard all kinds of arguments negating the need for the magnetic plugs stating if they were needed the dealer would have put them in.

All I know is I have two prius's and both have about 45K on them.

Every time I change my oil at 5K miles I get a graphite looking substance off the end of the magnet that looks like a grey gritty paint... not allot of it, but enough to stain my finger and let me know there "was" something the magnets that was caught and I'm glad its gone.

For as cheap as they are.. I'm a definite believer in them.

I don't really understand how much more sophisticated the Atkinson engine is from a normal engine, nor do I know how much mileage it really saves me in the long run.

I don't buy the super expensive oil filters... just the medium ones... a round 4.00 bucks a piece and I use oil rather than synthetics.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it really magnetic, or only sticky stuff that would adhere to any metal surface?

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did not use a magnetic drain plug, UOA's (Used Oil Analysis) suggest that I don't need one. :p

13. Jon the Chief

Jon the Chief Jon the Chief

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Aluminum bores

I have a recollection of some engine manufactures coming up with a method of chrome plating an aluminum bore with a textured finish to retain oil film and do away with dry or wet liners in aluminum engines.

It was a long time ago but it might be a common method of engine manufacture by now.

Jon the Chief

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You prob don't really "need" one just like you don't need to buy new air filters either but can just blow them out.

I just changed my oil again since my last post on both of my cars and indeed there is "something" that likes to stick to that magnet!!!!

Just the oil changes alone prob gets rid of most of it, but I don't like the idea that it floats around interacting with all the moving parts until that oil change comes.

I would expect a magnet would take it out of the system within minutes.

I'm surprised they just don't put a small magnet in each oil filter.... but then again..... none of those guys wants your car to never fail and run forever.. they couldn't make any money that way!

15. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone know if these are the same for the 2008 Prius?

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It only adheres to the end flat surface of the magnet... "not the sides"... just like irons filing would.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be very surprised if they are different.
    Toyota parts should be able to tell you if the thread pattern or size changed, but I bet its the same.

18. goldplug

goldplug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is Matt from Gold Plug. Noticed this chat while checking the sites log.

Yes, all year Prius uses the same plug. AP-03 on our site.

We have had may great Prius owners contact us and we thank each and every one of them! You are the reason we are in business!

19. bchristiansen

bchristiansen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually purchase small ceramic magnets rated for high heat (950 degrees) that stick to the inside metal wall of the oil filter. They cost about $2-$3 each. and I think they work well. I will also purchase a magnetic drain plug. Insurance is something we may not need but something so inexpensive that really does no harm will usually get my vote.

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you put your finger inside you will find the same coating on the bottom of the oil pan. Especially if you don't use synthetic oil.