1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius makes groaning whistling sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by themess, Jan 5, 2015.

1. themess

themess Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone had this happen to them? My 2005 Prius makes a groaning whistling sound(don't know any other way to describe it) when I turn it off. It started a couple months ago with a short sound once in a while but has grown into about a 5-10 second long sound when it is turned off. It makes the sound maybe 75% of the time. Shorter sometimes but up to 5-10 seconds other times.

Checked all my fluids and looked for signs of a leak but have not found anything out of the ordinary. Car runs fine, starts no problem, isn't running hot, gas mileage has dropped off but it has gotten colder and I have put on new tires a month ago.

I have noticed once when I first started it, it made the same sound but for only a second.

Is there some thing in the hybrid batteries or charger that may do this when it starts up? What about the CVT maybe there? The sound comes from the front of the car.

It had a complete major check up less than 7,000 miles ago.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    My 2005

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is the sound of the engine coolant heat recovery pump running. It is normal for the pump to get noisy over time. If the check engine light is not on then do not worry.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Possible low ac gas hissing after the car has been switched off?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?