1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius making a noise...is this normal??? Also, need advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nards, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Nards

Nards New Member

I found a dealer selling an 04 Prius with under 30k miles for a very excellent price ($15900). However, the car is making a noise when it is first started, but only sometimes. Apparently the car, in the mornings, after it has been sitting a while, or in cold weather, makes a noise that sounds like something is hitting the fan for about 10-15 seconds and then stops. According to the "head Prius technician," he says this is completely normal and the result of the gas engine and electric motor synchonizing. Has anyone else experienced this?

One thing to note is that the car has been in a supposed minor accident and has a replacement fender. All of the other parts still have matching VINs and the car still has a clean title. It also needed to have a power window motor and regulator replaced. They claim it was because the previous owner had installed after-factory speakers and put some kind of foam spacer to keep the speaker away from the window. Supposedly, this put stress on the motor and caused it to fail.

All of this very well could be legit and they may be being honest, but all of these issues do make me wonder. I have not actually seen the car in person (I'm about 2.5 hours away from the dealer) but have it on hold. I need to act on this quickly because I can not keep it on hold much longer

Anyway, please let me know if anyone has heard such a noise and if it normal. Also, if anyone has any advice or thoughts, I would very much appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a noise on startup and shut down. It's the coolant pump storing (or circulating) hot coolant into the thermos. Other Toyota hybrids do not have this feature.

3. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nards @ Jun 8 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]457896[/snapback]</div>
    If that's the level of knowledge their best Prius technician has, I'd definitely go elsewhere for servicing. That statement is complete BS, makes me wonder about the other things they told you about the car.

The sound is probably normal though, for the reason noted by the previous poster. Probably, because without really hearing the sound, we're just guessing. Best thing is to find another Prius and compare the sound.

4. Nards

Nards New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 8 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]457899[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, I wonder if that might be it. I have not heard this noise personally, but they described it as sounding like something is hitting the fan for about 10-15 seconds. According to the dealer, it is not consistent either. Sometimes it makes it and sometimes it doesn't. Are these the case with the coolant pump?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Jun 8 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]457902[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I definitely have my reservations. My first impression was that it sounded like a BS answer, but I was hoping I was wrong. Also, I looked the dealership up on the net and they have some of the worst reviews I've seen of any dealership, but they did have some positive ones too. It is a Toyota dealership so they should know what they're talking about. I'd love it if everything they've told me is true because I doubt I'll be able to beat this deal, but I'm also very skeptical.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is this a Toyota certified used car with a limited warranty? Some people have had thermos coolant pumps die a screaming death (bearings in the electric pump) and others have had water valve problems (the valve that determines which way the coolant flows). Use the Search button at the top of every page to research these issues.

If there's a warranty that covers these issues, it sounds like a good deal. But that's pure BS about the ICE and motors syncing.

6. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my '05 the only "no normal car" sounds I have is some small ticking for maybe a second. Not engine ticks, it sounds like the ticking a gas stove makes while it trying to ignite. It happens when I turn the car on and off. I know it completely normal for the car. The other odd sound I heard when I first bought the car was a whine sound after the car was off, which lasted around 30 seconds. Come to find out it was the coolant pump staying on, which was a nice feature, expecially on hot days.

I'd have to say the loud ticking your hearing is not normal. If it sounds like something is caught in the radiator fan, then I would have someone else look at it. Electric and gas motors dont sync. What would an electric motor have to sync with? It dosent have any belts or anything, its just an electric motor. I'd ask the technician that. And if he comes back with a remark about the gearbox (because it is a wierd one) tell him thats only when the car is in drive, not when it starts.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take my advice, if it is not "certified" used you should avoid it. I am never ever buying a used car that isn't certified. Certified used comes will bring the warranty up to 100,000, it is well worth it on a used car regardless of manufacturer because you do not know everything about its history.

We just learned the hard way with a VW Beetle, we bought it 4 years old and after 1 1/2 years of ownership the transmission was shot, but we thought we saved by not buying one that was certified on a different lot, but after paying for a new tranny we paid more. Even if nothing happens the peace of mind may be worth the extra money.

The only case I can see for buying one that isn't certified is if you have the money to fix a major repair at any given moment, if it is an old car you are buying dirt cheap that if it were to break you just call the junk yard, or if you buy it from a GOOD friend or family member.

8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That issue with the aftermarket speakers and the window motors probably scares me the most. That could be something you'd have to monkey with the entire time you owned the car.

If something doesn't feel right, back out and forget about it. It seems that whenever I thought I saw a deal that I could never beat, a better option came along shortly thereafter.

I'd probably rather go for a car with more miles on the odometer than one that has questionable issues.

Keep in mind that a brand new one isn't ALL that much more, after the tax refund. After my refund, I'm hoping my '07 package #1 will come to around $17000.

Eric

9. Nards

Nards New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. In regards to it being certified, I'm not positive, but I really doubt it since they haven't mentioned anything. I guess it's worth asking though. That would make me feel a lot better about everything.

Also, Eric, how are you getting your 07 for only $17000 after tax refund. If I could get such a deal, I would definitely go that route. Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml it lists the tax refund at only $787.50, which really isn't all that significant. Am I missing something else though?

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nards @ Jun 8 2007, 02:55 AM) [snapback]457896[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... I wonder if that is the same sound I have noticed on my '06? The one I am referring to is NOT the coolant transfer (I know that sound), and comes from the ICE when starting up and lasts ~20 to 30 seconds (never timed it) the first time until the engine is adequated lubricated or warmed (I assume). I think it only happens when the car is cold. IMHO, it sounds like a chain, so I figured it might be the timing chain...? This is my first timing-chain car, my others had a belt, so I am not sure if this is 'normal' and I don't know anyone else with a Prius with which to compare.

I bought the car as a demo (6K KM), and it has made this sound since I bought it and since it has had no other symptoms over 14 months and 44K KM of driving, I have considered it 'normal'. Given the end of warranty quickly approaching, I should probably ask Toyota about it next time I'm there for an oil change; I just know they are going to tell me they don't hear anything abnormal... <sigh>

11. Nards

Nards New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jun 8 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]458054[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I wonder also... it sure sounds like it definitely could be the same noise. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and drive the 5-6 hour round-trip and get it inspected. I'd hate to waste my time and money if it doesn't check out or has significant problems though.

12. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bought mine before March 31 when the tax credits cut in half again. The Federal was about $1500 and there was a seperate one from the state. I ran some numbers and it should be about $4000 total. I hope it works out that way! You should get something from state taxes to add to that $787.

I got the dealer the beat another dealers "no haggle" price and got the price knocked down to about $21,500. They also had a 24 months at 0% then.

Before the Prius, I'd never had a car that was more than $3000, so I was set on buying used, but with the combination of all the offers and the price matching and incentives, I bit the bullet and got a new one. Resale value on Prii is very high, so used ones are often more than or close to the same as new ones. They often have different option packages, but the package 1 has everything I could ever use.

Eric

13. Nards

Nards New Member

Wow, yeah... I just looked at the Colorado state tax credits and it's a nice chunk of money. Unfortunately, Texas does not have a state tax refund unless I'm missing something. I'm wondering though, could I say buy my car in Colorado (or somewhere else that has a state tax credit), get it licensed there, and then be eligible for the state tax credit, and then come back to Texas and transfer it to a Texas license?

14. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. Nards

Nards New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jun 8 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]458054[/snapback]</div>
    Before I write this deal off and everything, has anyone else noticed the noise Sarge is describing? Still kind of a toss up for me and the dealer has called me twice today!

16. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the noise is most noticeable during a cold start-up and sounds like the noise in the attachment (listen for the noise that starts about about 9 seconds into the clip and lasts for about 6 seconds) then it's the coolant transfer pump (not to be confused with the inverter coolant pump). The noise is definitely not normal. The coolant transfer pump needs to be replaced.

Attached Files:

• Pump.wav
      File size:
      614.6 KB
      Views:
  17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I just heard Morse code for "Don't buy this car!"

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(biphnest @ Jun 9 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]458513[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... I definitely don't hear THAT sound! It is much more subtle, and something I generally can only hear if I am in a relatively quiet place, more so with the windows open. I am pretty sure I am just being overly analytical of something that is perfectly normal, but I just thought I'd mention it since someone else did so first.