1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius making popping noise.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Misst, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Misst

Misst New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hoping to get some information on why my 2011 Prius is making a popping noise when I'm backing up. It seems to happen when I've just turned the car on and started moving. It happens easily within 2 or 3 seconds in. This has happened three times over the past month. Never happened before.

I'm hoping to get some info on this before I take it in to get checked out so I have an idea.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? can you get a recording?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're not, by any chance, reversing through a swamp where popping noises usually precede a flame spurt?

4. Misst

Misst New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nah. Every time's been in a simple, concrete parking lot in LA. I've checked and found no plastic bottles or anything that has caused this sound before.

I'll have to get back to you on the miles and this happens so uncommonly that getting a recording would be a fluke.

#4 Misst, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2022
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes the brake rotor's surface can get a surface layer of rust formation that makes the brake pads "stick".

The brake disc will break free of the brake pads when the car moves, which may sound like a popping sound.

I find it happens most often when parked after the rotors are wet, like after driving on wet roads, or if you park outside and dew accumulates on the disc and forms that layer of rust.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you nailed it ^