1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius making terrible noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dylan Peterson, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dylan Peterson

Dylan Peterson New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2009 Prius that is making a terrible grinding sound when the engine first turns on. The whole car shakes and rattles. It also does this when you start to drive and the engine turns on. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are there warning lights on the dash? If so they have stored error codes that will let you know what the problem is.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Without codes I would suspect a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. Usually they will run ok once it is warms up unless its really bad. If its losing coolant or pumping out white smoke, a head gasket is very likely. Other misfire problems can cause the same issue and can be plugs, coils or injectors. However these problems generally will not go away as fast and will definitely set codes.

The reason it sounds bad is the engine is not achieving a smooth idle rpm fast enough to sync with the transaxle motors. This causes a clutch like damper to slip making the bad racket. So it could be a startup misfire caused by plugs, coils or injectors. A headgasket leak can foul a plug which may clear fast when running.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles are on the vehicle?
    Have you already tried using the oil dip stick to check the engine oil level lately?