1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius may not save as much as you think...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Jan 13, 2013.

1. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is a good deal, for a number of reasons- comparative reasons. Gas economy, reliability, cost per mile to own, "green" considerations, etc. That doesn't change the fact that an automobile is a hole into which we shovel money.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No problem. I have a spreadsheet handy where I can easily calculate and compute the difference.

For those wondering about the weight of the gasoline vs. CO2 emitted from burning it, see How can 6 pounds of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide? and Emission Facts: Average Carbon Dioxide Emissions Resulting from Gasoline and Diesel Fuel | US EPA. Environmental - Prius Wiki has links to those.

This doesn't count the other tailpipe emissions such as those listed at About the Ratings | Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA. The Prius liftback is certified as AT-PZEV in CA and CARB states..
    Yep. Toyota factory | Mail Online has the withdrawal notice.

It also doesn't help that The secret behind the hit TV car show "Top Gear" - CBS News mentions Top Gear has 350 million viewers worldwide. :rolleyes:

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All cars require lots of parts and resources to build. Check out this 'Prius life cycle' video and decide what you think:

Prius Life Cycle - YouTube

4. chajones

chajones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just went over 100,000 miles in my 2010 Prius last week. I figure I saved about $7,000 in gas over a 25mpg car. In addition, other than oil changes, which have extended intervals due to synthetic oil, I have only replaced tires, air filters and wiper blades. Brakes are about half worn. I am very happy with my savings.

rogerv likes this.