1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Mechanic in Ontario, California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RCU, Aug 2, 2017.

1. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi I'm new to the forum but have browsed it regularly over the years. Recently while at work, the engine stopped and would not start again. I'm getting a P2103 code for the throttle actuator. It happened last Friday and haven't been able to work on it due to a family emergency. Tomorrow I'm going to try cleaning it and if it doesn't work, order a new throttle assembly to replace the whole thing and hopefully that will fix it. Apart from that it's been great and no major problems.

My question is does anybody know a good Prius mechanic in Ontario, California near my work? I want to get it towed there in case I can't fix it and would be great to get some recommendations. I had it towed to Martinez & Sons since it was close to my work but they are hesitant to work on it since it's a hybrid - personally I think it's a bit bs since it's only throttle code and has nothing to do with the hybrid part. Don't want to waste another tow now until hopefully I can find a place that knows what they're doing.

Second question is for a new throttle assembly if I need one - any particular brands or places to get an aftermarket one or used one? I know obviously I can go on Ebay or random sites to get it but any places that provide quality ones that can be trusted? Be nice to avoid the ridiculous price of a new OEM unit.

Thank you and any help is much appreciated, seems like a great community here and great resource to have.

Robert

2. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also I have a 2007 Prius with 180,000 miles. Burns some oil which I check and top off regularly but otherwise been fine.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just buy a used oem unit and self install. Only a few bolts/nuts holding it. Anybody can do this

You should first try cleaning it

4. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's the plan, just thinking for a backup in case I can't get to it with work today.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just completely messed up by this question, lol.

6. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL yeah this Ontario is not quite as nice as your Ontario - basically like the meth capital in California here in the 909.

'LectroFuel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can change your own spark plug, you can change this out. Remove the air filter box and it's right in front of you.

8. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well that was easy - bought $8 can of air flow sensor cleaner, cleaned it up, and started right up after jumping it. Kind of pisses me off with those useless mechanics, they never even bothered or tried because it was a 'hybrid'. Whatever, saved me some money. I did end up ordering a spare throttle body but guess I will just keep it for now as a spare in case it does it again.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could list it for sale here. I normally lose or never use my extra parts

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. RCU

RCU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll probably do that after a week or two if it doesn't happen again.

11. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's about 20 miles from us but Jue Motors in Covina is a good place to go. It's a AAA approved shop. Jimmy has a Gen II Prius himself and he seems to work almost exclusively on hybrids. I was paying the price taking the Prius to Crown Toyota in Ontario but recently switched to Jue. He installed my Prolong harness for less than half what others charge. I found him on the list of approved Prolong dealers and installers, located across the street from the mechanic I've been taking my regular cars to for 25+ years.

Jue Motors

RCU and Raytheeagle like this.