1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius MFD Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Seanbateman7, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Seanbateman7

Seanbateman7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys!
    We just bought a new prius, and by we i mean i signed for a loan and the girl is driving it. But anyways its a 2006 prius, and the first thing I noticed was that it does not have navigation. That stinks, I've read things online about DVD's and installing new firm/software on the navi, but is there anyway to install a navi system by getting my hands on a DVD or would it simply not work? I'm absent a navigation hard key but would really enjoy having a navi system there.

I've disabled the back up beep, that was super annoying, and I tried to get to the service menu once with no luck, and have yet to try again.

If its possible to just put in a DVD and install new software to get the navi, could you steer me in the right direction?

Also any other ideas/mods to do would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are any video inputs on the back of that screen I could plug into?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    No, you can't just add a DVD to get navigation. A Garmin (or one of it's competitors) is a better solution.

As to using the Video inputs, In older MFDs the input is NTSC color video (The yellow coax input to a TV) so interfacing is easy. Your 2006 MFD is one of two designs: Low resolution display like the earlier ones (NTSC) or higher resolution with a difficult to interface "digital Video" interface. There are many discussions on the web on interfacing to the MFD screen. Others have chosen to install a third party automotive DVD player and used it's screen instead.

JeffD

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Concur.
    You're stuck w/either a Garmin...or you can possibly replace the OEM unit for an aftermarket piece.
    Not my forte, since you have a G2 and I've never really been wild about OEM nav units.
    Good Luck with the Prius and the kid!

4. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I love my Tom Tom and how it doesn't restrict me from entering in destinations while I'm driving. Look at the Tom Tom go live, it gets traffic updates immediately while you are driving, and routes you around traffic jambs and accidents. The stock nav doesn't have that!

Get a good aftermarket Nav and you won't regret it!:)

5. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Playing with the OEM Navigation, it's pretty awful. Another vote for getting a non-OEM.

6. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes you see Nav MFD's on ebay and the like, not sure if they can be swapped over.

I think some people seek the seeming simplicity of using the Prius screen for nav computer, and I know at one time Garmin made a device that used the Prius MFD for display.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would anyone use a toyota nav if there is ANY other option?

cthorsman likes this.
  8. moiz memon

moiz memon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have 2007 prius but inside mfd screen language is japaan i need change language in english

9. alexaxis

alexaxis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interfacing digital input with the mfd is the thing prevent us from maximizing the functions of the oem mfd. if any adapter available i would like to pay 100bucks for that.