1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by zoobob, Feb 23, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the main thing...all the emissions control systems must warm up and the ICE is in a forced run mode during that time with different richness to the fuel mix as well, I think.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i thought part of the reason the Prius was very bad on mileage at startup was because of the extra steps it takes to reduce polution levels. steps that regular cars do not take.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah...Dave? What do you think we meant by emissions controls and catalytic converter? Those systems have to be up to proper temperture to work....thus the ice runs more to heat faster.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    right!!

what you said...

actually i didnt see your post when i posted mine. but that is because i open all Priuschat messages in separate windows and sometimes it takes a while for me to get to them so i dont always see the latest posts on the thread.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks guys,
    If that is the case, the energy is being used to reduce polution. I am more than happy to pay for it. I thought that was the major of reasons why some people claim Priii have bad MPG. Imagine a guy who starts up a cold Prius and test-drives it like a sports car for a few minutes. Sure, he would get MPG between 20 to 30. I have no doubt.