1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Millage Dropped Drastically

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Talha Ahmed, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Talha Ahmed

Talha Ahmed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have Prius 2010 and I was getting 20 km/l to 22 km/l until I repaired the part (Sorry I don't know what does it call in English) which is between two tires and when you revolve your steering it revolve due to that rod. Right after I drive my car as I came out of workshop, it seems that my engine keep running more and turn off less.

1- Can I check if my Hybrid battery is getting weak or what is the health of my hybrid battery ? If yes then let me know how.
    2- Is there any way if I can check my front tires are revolving without any friction and revolving freely ?

Waiting for response from Expert fellows

2. Talha Ahmed

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to give you more idea, Its average has dropped from 20 km/l to 13-14 km/l now

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first, i would speak to the person who replaced the part, and tell them your concerns.

second, i would drive it for awhile to see what kind of mileage you're getting. how many miles/km have you driven, noting the higher fuel usage?

third, why was the part/rod replaced?

4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As far as HV health, you should be able to charge the battery all the way up by force charging. Start car, put foot on brake, set foot brake, put car in drive, watch HV Battery charge on screen. If it doesn't you have a real problem! Take it to a shop.
    Most people put their location, this helps determining and solving problems. For instance, should you be close to a desert, sand could be a interfering component, you may want to put in a new air filter post haste. Heat is also negative.
    Checking wheels: easy to do, pretend your changing a tire, and spin the wheel or turn car on and put in drive and listen.
    IF YOU HAVE NEVER CHANGED A TIRE, DISREGARD THE LAST PARAGRAPH TOTALLY
    Get some help. Easiest thing to do is to take it to a Toyota Dealer. That thing between your wheels may be the tie rod, if it's damaged you may need a new one.
    Please tell us something about yourself like a nickname, what town, age, buy car new? Miles on car etc. Thank You. WARNING: DO NOT DO CHARGING PROCEDURE IF YOU FEEL NERVOUS ABOUT IT. Remember the brakes ALWAYS override, overpower the engine.
    Good Luck.

#4 Andyprius1, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hadn't noticed before, your speaking in terms of engine consumption on liters. Also convert to mpg and PCers would understand it better. Engine fuel consumption is a separate subject. EV CHARGE RELATES TO RANGE.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you realize you are on the Prius C forum? What model do you have?

7. Talha Ahmed

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ Andyprius

1- My HV battery get charge like before, the change which I have noticed in it is, that I am feeling it is draining more fast as compared to before, it drain up to last one cell, I've never seen it draining more than last two cells.

2- I am not close to desert mate, I am driving in the same location where I am driving it for last 2 years, the only thing changed is that part what I feel and during that part changing thing, my 12V battery terminal was disconnected for like 6 hours if that made any problem ?

3- I have visit to Toyota too but in my country they are not much expert about prius so far, my bad luck.

4- I don't have any nick name, My real name is Talha Ahmed
    It is not a new car. In Pakistan we buy used imported cars from Japan. It was a 4.5 Grade Used car and it awsome if I neglect the current problems of it.

I didn't got your last sentence meaning "Remember the brakes ALWAYS override, overpower the engine."

8. Talha Ahmed

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used an online converter, this was the average of my car in mpg first 47. Now it is 32 mpg​

9. Talha Ahmed

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Japanese 2010 G Touring Leather Selection model

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you inspected the brakes? Is one brake hotter than the others?

Is the ground wire from the 12v battery securely attached to the rear of the car?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Moderators will likely move your posting to the regular 3rd gen maintenance and troubleshooting forum, no big deal.

Your mileage change, converted:

21 liters per km: 49 mpg (US gallon)
    14 liters per km: 33 mpg

Regarding your questions:

1- Can I check if my Hybrid battery is getting weak or what is the health of my hybrid battery ? If yes then let me know how.

There is a diagnostic regiment the dealerships can do. Toyota UK has started officially offering it. Not sure what you can do in your part of the world, but if you show the link to any Toyota dealership, that might get the ball rolling. They call it "hybrid health check":

Hybrid Cars Health Check | Toyota UK

How long was the car in the shop, and was it due to an accident. A protracted idle time in a repair shop might have degraded the hybrid battery, or not. Even more likely is that it weakened the 12 volt battery.

2- Is there any way if I can check my front tires are revolving without any friction and revolving freely ?

Yes, feel the middle of both front wheels after a drive. Actually, check the rear wheels similarly. If the wheel is cool to the touch or only slightly warm that's ok. If it's quite hot, the brakes are likely dragging.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they left it idling a lot and you only think your mpg's have declined.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Talha Ahmed

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't done it my self, I went to a work shop and mechanic checked it him self. He confirmed that all tyres are fine and equally revolving. They checked it manually.

I haven't checked that wire after I attached it after front part repairing. I'll check it again and will report it here

14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Without a proper summation, history, it's difficult to guess anything. I don't think I even read that the car has been to the dealer for any kind of service........?
    Sounds nice.

15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahh, Progress. I presume NO Toyota Dealer?

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your speaking of the -12V lead going to chassis ground? With that loose, that could be a catastrophe , might as well look at +12 v also, even more problematic .

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I kind of doubt it's your hybrid battery.
    It's only 5 years old, and if it was really failing I think you'd see other signs or codes.

I hate to say it, but I'd check your 12 volt battery. If it's the original, it's old enough to be in the failing range.
    Otherwise, of course I'm suspicious of the repair you just had done. BUT if all the feedback is that it's fine?

I'd check the 12 volt battery as a starting point.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He hasn't clarified his Mechanic yet.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone replaced a rod thingy between the tranny and the front wheel.

20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will answer inn terms that you are a DIY ( do it yourself )

1. So you have some drag, either physical or electrical
    2. As long as the battery is reading 12V + it's OK, do you have a multimeter?
    3. Sorry about that
    4 Glad to meet you Talha , Welcome to Priuschat
    5 just letting you know that if you have the car in drive and your foot on the brake with the other foot on the accelerator, FULL, the braking system predominates and the car will not move.

My only suggestion is to look at the last place(s) the car was worked on and recheck everything. Take no ones word for anything ! Example: your mechanic said the wheels are OK.. You must jack up every wheel and see that it spins freely.

The other option is to totally trust your Mechanic and visit him often for the same problem, over and over again.

Hope this helps. Most Sincerely, Andyprius.