1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Minivan Coming in 2011 with Lithium-ion batteries?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 16, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. (As a former minivan driver myself, long ago) If I had >=2 kids, I too would want a hybrid minivan w/decent mileage.
    LOL!

Boo about how the speedo and instruments were moved to the center. That type of design does NOT do well nor review well in the US. There are so many past examples of this (many Toyotas, at least one GM and at least one Nissan). Nissan was forced to redesign the dash of their Quest early (before end of cycle) and move the IP to the front of the driver.

Maybe it's more accepted in Japan as I noticed a # of JDM cars w/speedo in the center, but it's just a no go here.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for that info. Why are they testing in US then? I don't know if it is the usual practice.

Li-ion battery between front seats is interesting. This would free up the rear for even more space, hopefully minivan type seats.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what's happening there, but...
    Did anyone confirmed the US testing one was 7 seater and the battery was located between the front seats?
    The JP Estima Hybrid minivan is the first one which NiMH battery is located between front seats.
    Following pics are Estima Hybrid and gasoline Estima interior.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those spy shot report said it is a 7 seater with 3rd row seating. The interior shot in post #56 does not show the area between the front seats. There seems to be an arm rest and radio antenna sticking out from a cup holder.

I didn't know the current Estima HSD already has the battery between the front seats.