1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Misconceptions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timmsumm, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you TimmSumm!

I would really like to thank TimmSumm for starting this thread. I am taking my Prius to the Earth Day celebration in Balboa Park, San Diego this Sunday and thought I would put some information together for anyone who asks any questions while my car is on display in Alternative Fuel Vehicle alley.

I decided in include a Top Ten Prius Myths and basically stole from this thread. I hope you all don't mind. I've compiled my top ten. Unfortunately couldn't fit everything in. Here's what I edited down to:

Top 10 Myths about the Prius.

10. Emergency workers won’t go near it.

No. See article.

9. My full size pickup truck gets better mileage on the freeway.

Every car gets lower mileage than what the EPA numbers say. The Prius, even when driven “badly†(inefficiently) will still get around 40-45 mpg. Smaller diesel cars may be close, but the Prius is rated SULEV- Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle by the State of California. When Congress passes the new energy bill, the Prius will qualify for HOV lane status.

8. It’s really small.

The current Prius is a midsize car and the interior is almost as large as a Camry.

7. How do you get up those big hills?

You...put your foot on the accelerator like any other car.

6. The engine is smaller.

It's the same engine as the Echo. The Prius can't get the same gas mileage because the Echo is 987kg and the Prius is 1,300kg. The Echo uses the Otto cycle instead of Atkinson cycle. The Prius gets consistently 10 MPG more than the folks who drive Echo's, at least in city driving. One thing to keep in mind is the HP and torque ratings of the Echo motor and the Prius ICE motor:

Echo Sedan/Hatchback: 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE; 108 HP, 105 lb ft torque

Prius: 1.5 litre 1NZ-FXE; 76 HP, 82 lb ft of torque.

Instead of a supercharger, the electric motor is used to provide the assist when accelerating and if needed to maintain steady speed. Same engine different operation cycle for the engine. The Atkinson cycle has been around since the late 1800's and it's big problem is lack of torque especially when it is operating outside its optimal RPM. If you put the Prius ICE into the Echo no one would want to drive it. The MG2 provides the second part of the hybrid system to create a functional whole and that is the low end torque. The Prius ICE is more efficient and gets more usable power out of a gallon of gas.

5. They stole the technology from Ford.

No. Ford has leased the technology from Toyota.

4. How much did you pay over sticker?

I paid MSRP. The car is popular (supply and demand) so you can’t really negotiate below sticker. But if you’re a CostCo member...that might help. You can also negotiate a deal with the internet manager of a dealership by e-mail, using online car services.

I will get a Clean Fuel Vehicle income tax credit of $2000 in 2005. But if you wait to buy, the rebate goes down to $500 in 2006 and nothing in 2007. If you're planning on buying a comparable car anyway...choosing a Prius this year is smart for the high mpg, low emissions and the tax credit. 2005 is the best year to buy. To qualify the car must be new.

You want a great “deal†try an SUV. You really want way below sticker? Try GM.

3. There's a waiting list.

Not anymore. At least not in California. I went to the dealer, test drove it and bought it. Just like any other car. They have them. You can even check inventories on the internet to find the combination you want. If you want a certain exterior/interior color combination and a certain package option you might have to wait a month or two...like any other car you order.

2. You’ll have to replace the battery in a year and it will cost $10,000. Or you will have to replace the battery every five years and they cost over $5,000 each time.

Warranted for 8 years, 150,000 miles in California. The battery should last 19 years/500,000 miles. Engine is supposed to last 500,000 miles, if not more.

1. Where do you plug it in? How long does it take to charge?

You don’t plug it in. It recharges itself when you drive. Do you recharge your regular car battery?

Thank you to everyone for helping me do this.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good! I like no. 4 haha

btw for no. 5, Ford didn't 'lease' it so to speak. They did create/design their own hybrid system but because bits and pieces of it were very similar to Toyota's, they signed an agreement with Toyota and paid them an undisclosed sum to avoid a lawsuit from Toyota.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I agree but Toyota is adamant about the Atkinson thing. I have not understood the argument. Their description sure sounds like the Miller cycle to me but what do I know, except if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it might be a duck.

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You should add under the Prius it also has Electric motor --67 HP and 295 lb ft of torque. Those are added to the ICE.

Bob

5. Garsen

Garsen New Member

i had a lot of people hassle me about how it accelerated onto freeways and up hills. those that have had a ride in it are now satisfied. that's been about it. i think there are probably 4-5 other prius owners within a block of my house in LA; people here are generally pretty accepting and knowledgable about them relative to the rest of the country.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wasnt that 295 ft lbs?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it's 295lb-ft @ 0-1200rpm as opposed to 259lb-ft @ 0-400rpm on the Classic

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Top Ten Myths at Balboa Park's Earth Day, San Diego

I spent 5+ hours manning the Prius Club San Diego table at San Diego's Earth Fair in Balboa Park today.

Same questions most of the day.

"Where do you plug it in?" No plug...shock.

"How long is the wait?" or "How long did you wait." Uh...five minutes. No wait...shock. Then I'd get the 4 months, 6 months, 9 months stories and I'd say "That was last year."

"How much did you pay?" Shock, a lot less than they thought. Also questions on extended warranty and GAP insurance.

"How long does the battery last and how much does it cost to replace it." 19 years, I don't care I'll have sold the car by then. Same comments on the battery, 5 year, $10,000 is what I heard today.

"What's your mileage". Shock it's higher than they expect. Also surprise that City is better than Highway....and I explain about the way it works.

"What about performance on the Highway (or hills)". Shock it performs like other cars and has no problems with hills or passing.

Shock at how large the interior is. Many asked to sit in it. Men impressed with headroom. Many impressed with size of cargo area and amount they could fit in car. I.E. golf clubs, massage table, surfboard. I happened to have a tape measure with me and used it several times.

Lots of comparisons to Honda insight, accord, civic and Ford's escape and focus.

Met quite a few owners and everyone loves their car!

Quite a few questions on options, colors.

There were a few that said it needs to plug in or go completely electric.

And there was one guy that insisted Honda had a fuel cell car in production and wouldn't believe me when I told him it was natural gas and only had a range of 200 miles. I hope he goes online tonight and does a search. To him I say "told you so!".

It was fun. Gave away lots of cards and referred quite a few to Priuschat both owners and potential owners.

It was nice that those who were considering a purchase got a chance to see the car off of a dealers lot and talk to people who already own one.

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Sounds like it was a lot of fun, Godiva -- thanks for the recap!