1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius "must-haves" vs. "frills"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drumslinger, May 20, 2010.

1. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course, compression matters. In this discussion however, we are assuming the user has already compressed his music onto his ipod, and comparing the diff between USB vs AUX. So the compression affects both connections the same way. Sorry for being misleading.

1 person likes this.
  2. pjb_spammable

pjb_spammable New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This opens up a Pandora's box of discussing pre-amp vs. post-amp, etc. But my point was in describing where the decompression happens, and how that affect sound quality, degradation, etc.

In comparison, I can hook my iPod Classic up to my home stereo system in two ways: first, by an aux cable into the aux plug, using a 1/8" to 1/4" cable or adapter; and second, using my Griffin iPod stereo dock. The difference in quality is directly related to where the decompression occurs, and the amount of degradation at takes place after decompression. Obviously, the dock will render a much higher-quality sound reproduction.

This is analogous to the OP's post regarding aux vs. USB. And likewise, the USB will render superior quality sound. I am merely explaining the "why" succinctly.

I would hope that being clear and concise is not being misrepresented as pandering; and i don't think I was doing so at all.

3. Psych_Prof

Psych_Prof New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    YES. This is exactly what I was referring to with my initial comment without getting into the gory details.

4. dbldbl

dbldbl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are doing a lot of urban driving, the radar cruise may be useful. The Texas Highway Institute (or whatever it is really called) analysis demonstrated improved rush hour (shorter, less accidents) if all had the radar controlled cruise. All would maintain distance from car in front for smoother flow and improved overall road capacity (and shorter commute.)

The lane change might be helpful is you may drive tired - as long as the locale embeds the markers (not all do.)

If you live anywhere where it gets sunny and hot and park there - the solar powered venting can be helpful. Remember, too, only the IV and V have the remote AC to really cool down the vehicle while you are not inside.

I can attest that in winter you do not need the heated seats - as long as you have a nice long fur coat. Otherwise (e.g., wearing your ski jacket), it's a nice touch on those nasty days (and nights).

The roof has a nice little touch- the panel in front of the moon/sun roof actually tilts to provide improved aerodynamics (and less noise.)

And, if you read the kvetches about the inability in those under the IV package for all door unlocking by touch.

5. MattL

MattL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey I am a noob here researching the Prius because I am pretty sure I am going to lease one and kind of surprised at the "snobbish-ness" factor going on in this thread. I guess my perception of Prius drivers as practical has been off a bit. Definitely an eye opener.

Anyway I have no idea why anybody would want or need built in nav in any car these days. The Garmin units work well and if they break you buy a new one. You can move it from car to car, use it rentals, take it on vacation, etc. Heck we don't even pay to update maps because it's cheaper to buy a new one every two years. I personally don't even need a Garmin though I just use the nav and Google Maps on my Droid which blows away any nav system I have ever had. My "GPS" is with me everywhere I go too.

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't have to use the OEM nav. It comes with other features like reverse camera, USB OTG/ipod interface, bluetooth audio streaming + media control, Satellite radio. I've turned off the auto switch so it stays on the audio screen the whole time I'm driving. The Nav's POI also allows you to call much like Google Maps if your BT phone is paired. I have 5 navigation programs installed on my phone. Google Maps, TomTom, Garmin, iGo8, MioMap. I use Google Maps to check traffic and Garmin for maps all the time. I only switch to the Prius's Nav screen when I'm going out of town. To me the benefit of having the OEM Nav package out weighs the portable navs.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Likewise with the car stereo and lighting. Why pay for a built-in radio when you can use a boom box. There are a lot of good ones on the market. They cost less than a built-in unit, you can move them from car to car, and they are easy to replace in the event of a failure. The same thing is true for interior lighting. A good camping lantern is way better than having lighting built into the car.

Those two might seem like ridiculous examples, but they are completely analogous to navigation systems. The only difference, at least at this point, is that navigation systems are still relatively new, which means they get bundled with other expensive options.

The long and the short of it is integration. You buy an OEM system to have it seamlessly integrated with your car. Third party systems are cheaper, and may even have some preferable features. You have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages. The conclusion will vary by individual. Some people highly value integration and lack of clutter. Some value money above all else. Others have their own hot buttons. Making a blanket statement about OEM verses third party navigation is probably foolish.

Tom

8. MattL

MattL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you got my point. Mobile is the future. I supposed you want a built in cell phone attached to the car too? Remember those?

I'll just stream Pandora through my phone in the car LOL.

Last I checked interior lighting wasn't a $1500-2000 option on a car.

9. Psych_Prof

Psych_Prof New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Innnnteresting. As the resident psych prof, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the glaring irony here.

Just sayin' :D

10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very good point qb42

As for cellphone goes you picked a very bad example. Cellphones can be used anywhere therefore portability is a must. Yet still, people are looking ways to mount their phone in the car without having it stick out. If you must use cellphone as example, Almost all new cellphones have bluetooth. The OEM NAV and some OEM radios such as Mercedes have full cellphone integration via BT. You don't even need to take the phone out of your pocket to dial. With phone integration, The interior stays the same, no added clusters of mounting hardware. No need to buy permanent mounted cellphones.
    Portable nav vs portable phone? I can use my phone while eating at a restaurant. What am I gonna do with a Garmin or Tom Tom in a restaurant? find the bathroom?
    Not all interior lights are created equal. Some low end cars have only 1 dome light and it's dimmer than a candle. The remedy is buy a more powerful light. A higher wattage bulb is brighter but is also hotter. I've seen some dome light assemblies got melted due to hot bulbs. You can upgrade to high power LEDs. Regardless of what you do, you're spending money to upgrade the bulb if you want visibility.
    You're right mobility is the future. That's why cellphones these days not only make/receive calls but also includes text and instant messenger, video conferencing, VoIP, satellite radio access, GPS navigation, compass, music and video player, camera and camcorder, radio and TV receiver, game console, office document viewer, eBook reader, internet browser, email access, internet audio streaming, data storage device, WiFi router, bluetooth transreceiver, flashlight. Even with all that, I'd still use my nav for navigation and my radio for music.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My comment was addressed solely at OEM Nav verses a third party Nav, whether Tom-Tom, Garmin, or smart phone. Streaming isn't the issue with a Nav system. The real issue is the user interface, and a built-in system has the potential to be far superior than anything on a small portable system. A built-in system can use a large screen, and control buttons, microphone, and speakers built into the car.

As for cell phones, I never touch a phone while driving. I prefer the integrated Bluetooth system, although even then I usually try to avoid driving distractions in all but the most routine highway driving.

Tom

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you cannot parallel park a prius you should forfeit your license. Easiest car EVER to parallel park. its turning radius is crazy.

Nothing is a must. I have a base prius with no options whatsoever and what I don't know about I don't miss. MSRP was about 22.5. Why would I pay another $7k for leather, stereo, and a few stupid electronic additions? Get the base prius and spend the rest of your money on something else. The reality is that nothing will ever dress this thing up to be something more than a very boring driving gas sipper. That is what it was built to be and what it does well. If you have $7k burning a hole in your pocket buy a used miata. Now you'll know what real fun is.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A built in system sure can be better but it can also look pretty old after a few years. I know a guy with one in his mazda 6 it looks like something out of the 80's running on Atari 2600 hardware. Mean while my $100 garmin from radio shack still looks new. In any case, how often do I use the thing? Not much, for trips only. Locally not that much and it works fine, do I really _need_ it integrated with my speakers, larger screen, etc. Not at all! Spend that money on a huge LCD tv with audio, a much better use of money and more enjoyable ;)

14. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can't speak for Tom Tom but with my Garmin I can:

- Listen to MP3 music
    - Listen to audiobooks
    - Look at digital pictures
    - Language interpretation if I'm in a different country
    - Plan and save routes or look up POI if I'm in a different city
    - Currency conversion
    - Calculator (hey, useful for figuring out tip)
    - Travel Guide (an optional add-on) for sightseeing/planning
    - Has integrated bluetooth (and it really works well)
    - I can play the sound from the Garmin through my car speakers

Yep, not useful out of the car, AT.ALL. :rolleyes:

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, it is quite useless out of the car...my Itouch 64 gb is far more useful with far more advance technology.

Which garmin do you have? My Bluetooth sucks on my NUVI 775t. BT is much much much much much much better on my OEM NAVI.

16. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Nuvi 660. That remains one of the best ones...no bugs. BT on it is wonderful. Before that one I had the Garmin 2610, which could only be used in the car because it required being plugged in for power. Great unit for what it did, but my Nuvi has been much more versatile. To me GPS is not a frill, it's a necessity, but with so many options on getting GPS functionality, it's nice to not have to be tied to a vehicle. As I said before, I use it as a pedestrian when I'm visiting unfamiliar cities. Very handy. I don't have a fancy smartphone or an iPod Touch. Just a regular cell phone and a regular iPod Nano.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmm, your expectations must be lower than mine. My Nuvi 775t BT sucks...the speaker in the back is rather poor quality. Pedestrian mode is bad too...it sometimes tracks you, sometimes don't...sometimes lags behind. Because the GPS is limited in how good it can pinpoint you, this pedestrian mode is rather useless in most cases. I have used this mode in Europe and US...the only thing that it is good for is to mark where you park your car. And this is only really helpful if you walk a far far distance away from where you parked.

So yeah, i have everything that your Nuvi has and more...still very useless out of a car. Picture quality is rather poor to function as a picture viewer. The ONLY thing that it is good for is the navigation part...and that is only good because you can update it 4 times a year. The graphics are very 1990's. I even have the 3D building thingy which is more gimmicky than useful (even in Paris!). Lane change assist is not nearly as good as the OEM unit.

Maybe what you really need to spend a good length of time in a Prius III with NAVI. You might change your mind. I did. My Nuvi is now relegated to my minivan because my minivan NAVI database is very old...so, the NUVI is an improvement in that aspect.

As noted above, the fact that OEM NAVI comes with rear view camera, phone book transfer with EFFECTIVE Blue-tooth function, and USB connection makes it a no-brainer for me and my use.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must have 17" wheels, the sharper steering and leather. These are legitimate needs, not wants ... :D

19. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nopey. Not worth $1,800.....errrr....$3600 extra to me. If that were the only way I could get GPS then that would be a different story. But it's not. My bluetooth functionality is as clear using my Garmin as my friend's bluetooth is in her Prius. I have mine going through the stereo. Although I tend to avoid talking on the phone in the car (bluetooth or otherwise) because I do find it distracting, esp. when there's traffic.

20. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Lotta...which Prius are you looking at? II, III, IV, etc.??