1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius-my opinion- My feelings after 4-5k miles (negative) sorry.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by justaguy, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1

2. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went from a BMW 325 to the Prius III w/nav. My perception of driving changed when gas hit $4.50 a gallon, even when I had the BMW. As CPROAUDIO indicated, I don't understand why anyone would by a Prius and drive it like a high end vehicle. I have almost 20K miles in ten months of driving my 2010 Prius. I knew what I was getting myself into when I purchased the car. It's a great car and I love it, still learning to maximize my MPGs. Great info on this forum.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What's up with comparing a non-leather wrapped steering wheel with the leather-wrapped one in the Audi? The OP should have gotten a IV if that was one of his complaints. Furthermore, getting a V with ATP would have eliminated 2 or 3 more major complaints (handling/stability due to small tires and tiring long distance driving). Pretty sure the Audi didn't have adaptive cruise control to make long distance driving a breeze.

I'm not sure why the OP decided to cheap out with a base Prius II if he was coming from Audi.

4. justaguy

justaguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I've learned alot having a Prius. The main thing I learned was that higher end cars are worth the higher price. Let this be a lesson to other people too.

People asking about if i test driven it. I did, but you get a better feel when u drove it over 1000 miles than the short distance u test drove it. Plus i test drove it in the city, so power mode kinda made it feel like a fast car, but really isn't once u hit the freeway.

Why i changed Audi to Prius- I just wanted to try something new, and luxury cars depreciate in value too.

I will not buy another toyota or Prius again and I will stick to bmw or audi.

And the car IS unstable at freeway speeds over 70. Just look at how it shakes when you look at other prius cars next to you in the freeway. U can see that it struggles at high speeds like a cheap light car, it kinda looks like it rattles a bit. I have to hold the steering wheel so it doesn't move to the next lane really cautiously at higher speeds, and YES i do feel it shaking.. and i seriously doubt its the tires, i felt it since the beginning and i see other prius cars shake at hi speeds. Maybe I'm being unfair by comparing to other cars ive driven, but I feel it when i drive the prius, so driving instability at high speeds one of the major issues i have.

The lesson learned here is, people should check out higher end cars, because the performance is worth it.

My mpg is 42 mpg , which probably is not that good for prius standards but i would trade 20 mpg less for a ride that I don't feel the miles when i drive it like the audi.

And lastly for people saying i should have got a iv or a v. Ummm I'd rather spend 10k more and get a bmw 3 or 5 or audi a4 or A6 series. Why?

I miss my audi. You don't know what you have till its gone. And i'd trade in for my old audi back lol.

And the car smell is always there. If u smell ur shirt after a sunny day after u use the Prius, it'll smell like gasoline . I just made it smell less with a freshener at bed bath n beyond, but it still is there. Because of all the plastic goodness toyota decided to put in the car. It might be the clothed seats too. or the plastic goodness. because my front shirt smells like gasoline when i drive that thing.

Toyota dropped the ball about being eco friendly. The car reeps of nasty tire smell when u brake at the freeway it goes to the airconditioning duct and right at your shirt and your nostrils.. It's MO, is to be eco friendly to the environment, but yet, i smell of nasty tire brake and gasoline on my shirt whenever i get out of that car after 40 miles of day to day driving lol.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You do not get 50 mpg with a BMW or Audi (or their worse reliability).

I really don't know what you're talking about. Never heard of anybody getting tire, brake and gasoline smell on their shirt.

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been driving since '73, and the Prius has the worst feel for a steering wheel
    My 03 pick up is leather wrapped, it has cloth seat, my '97 Sunfire had a nicer wheel, until our Blur & Golf Macraw torn it apart

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Because yours is non-leather wrapped, big difference from the leather wrapped steering wheel in your 03 pick up. The leather wrapped steering wheel in the IV/V is quite nice IMO, along with the sporty-looking, flattened shape.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need to get alignment done. My Prius (06) is smooth and stable easily at 90 mph.

You may be interested in Lexus CT200h. That car is supposed to handle the best in class.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This strikes me as someone who didn't do their due diligence purchasing a new car. It's not the right car for them, but it is the right car for a lot of other people. Sell it and move on.

Tom

6 people like this.
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know where the OP's starting and end points were on his LA to SF trip, but once you get on the stretch of I-5 between the Bay Area and LA, the speed limit is mostly 70 mph (or possibly 75 mph, memory is foggy). If you do the speed limit on that stretch, you will be passed by almost everyone except for big rigs, RVs or those towing trailers. If you stay in the slow lane, you will constantly come up with the above and keep having to go around them.

Long ago (even w/slightly lower speed limits back then), there were NO CHP on I-5 between the Bay Area and LA. There are lots more cops there now. When I did the drives from San Jose <-> LA, I had (and still have a radar detector) and would usually do ~5 mph over the limit, sometimes 10 over, if I were in a pack (and not its leader). Most of the cops would leave their radar guns on so you'd have PLENTY of warning and hide under overpasses. I've had a license since ~1991 and haven't ever gotten a speeding ticket.

IIRC, I've heard of some of my (somewhat nutty) friends doing 80 to 90 mph for most of the I-5 drive.

Once you're in LA and assuming you're not in a traffic jam, people drive very fast and aggressively there (compared to the Bay Area). I distinctly remember a time in 2001 when I was on a stretch of I-5 (not the above mentioned part) where the limit was only 55 mph. I was in the 2nd to slowest lane doing 70+ mph in a 55 mph and was having people zip by in all of the faster lanes.

Although I have no 3rd gen Prius, I disagree that long distance driving is "dangerous", at least not on my 2nd gen. I've had trips where I've racked up 800+ miles in a week (Bay Area to Seattle area including sighseeing in Portland, Bay Area to LA and back w/sightseeing all over LA, Bay Area to Las Vegas and back, etc.)

Yes, I think a Lexus hybrid or maybe a TCH or NAH would've been better suited for the OP. However, the handling on some of these is nothing special.

I've driven numerous luxury cars briefly, had a loaner TCH for ~1.5 days and had a free 1 week test drive of a Lexus HS 250h, on which I put >400 miles on it. :D My former car, an 02 Nissan Maxima was much more luxurious and had a MUCH smoother suspension (although crap handling) vs. my Prius.

Since my other car is one with excellent handling (Nissan 350Z) and I've driven other cars w/great handling, I can relate. I would HATE to take the Z on a long trip. The road noise, very harsh, bouncy ride and lousy stereo would be punishing.

11. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry you're not happy with your new car. I'm very pleased with my V, and my two prior cars were a Lincoln and Cadillac. The V interior isn't elegant, but it's tasteful and pleasant enough (ignoring some curious color choices Toyota made). The ride and handling are surprisingly good for such a small car. The only thing I noticed about the "new car smell" is that the Prius pretty much didn't have one!

Zero regrets for me on the purchase.

12. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion ..... but when I read this and that "suck" I am convinced we are dealing with a small mind that has very limited capacity. I had no desire to read any further.

13. pixelmixer

pixelmixer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry pal. You're a frustrated individual who didn't research their purchase/lease/choice well enough and are bitter about it.

2 people like this.
  14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I drove 1,000 miles in one day in my Gen II. It was great, other than being a very loooonnng day.

Tom

15. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 IV has exceeded my expectations in almost every way. The leather seats are more comfortable for me than the audi A3 and A4. Test drove both and while they were nice rides -- not worth 7-9k more. My ride is stable and controlled at all speeds. It is exceptionally roomy for a compact and on a recent ride on some country 2 lanes we passed trucks as quickly as I would ever want to go. Put in power mode and blast around those trucks. Way more passing power than I ever expected. Yeah the interior has a lot of hard plastic but since I rarely touch those surfaces I could care less. The versatility of the hatchback, the great rear leg room and the awsome front leather seats sold me on the car. The mpg is fun but not the main reason I bought. Checked out both the A3 and the bmw 328 [I could afford either] but the prius met my needs the best overall, especially entering and exiting the car. Why spend more.You get free maintenance for 2 years with $60 oil changes every 10k after that. That allows allows more dough for things that count in life. Plus reliability is great and if I want , an extended warranty 7 year 70k miles is less than $700. No euro sedan can touch that.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish i lived near you because i think i could talk you out of that car for a song!:D

17. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The following comment:
    ...still stands.

Because:
    @justaguy: I'm sorry that you'll need to swap cars again.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what? you couldn't feel the sandpaper steering wheel on your test drive? oh ya, it changes from smooth in the city to rough on the highway. women use it to file their nails whilst applying makeup!:eek:

19. Old Drum

Old Drum New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I went from a Ford Focus wagon with 205,000 miles (it was t-boned) to a Prius, so I'm not quite sure whether this opinion counts here.

I have no trouble with acceleration. I find the Prius very stable at interstate speeds.

The Prius does not quite have the capacity of the Focus wagon, but it feels more solid.

I don't regret moving up to a Prius.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, doesn't count. but you're welcome to your opinion.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.