1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Myths and their Rebuttals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 27, 2006.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My body shop told me, maybe they lied, that there are really not any aftermarket parts available for the Prius. So every part comes from Toyota and that means very high prices for replacing collision parts.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Other than obvious things like tires, shock absorbers and filters, the only Prius aftermarket parts I have seen discussed is windshields.

Bumpers, quarter panels and the like will all come from Toyota, either directly or via a salvage vehicle dismantler.

3. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Prius Myths: Cost per mile.

They say the cost of owning a prius is very very costly... etc etc.
    Well, here are MY facts from MY real life experience of owning a 2005 Toyota Prius for 24 months (2yrs).
    I have another post elsewhere giving the stats at the time of trade-in - but to make it a little easier to calculate where insurance and maintance and registration is concerned, I ended it at two years. Especially when people compare to a national average and/or other vehicles and/or their own driving habits and MOST especially since people say: "It's worth it only if gasoline costs over $3.50 a gallon" or some such nonsense; but in my opinion, a form of transportation cannot be measured that easily.

Total Miles Driven: 26500 miles
    Total Days owned: 730 days
    Total Insurance Paid (NY): $2800
    NYS DMV Fees & things: $170.25
    Total Maintaince (oil change, tune ups, etc): $1080
    Actual Gallons of gasoline used: 480 gallons
    Actual Total Cost of gasoline: $1557.85 (91 octane or better)

Calculated for consumer:
    Total cost over two years: $5,608.10
    Cost per mile ($5,608.10/26500): $0.2116

THe cost of the car can always be added in... but I'm not interested in initial cost since you must spend money on any car you buy. However, my interest is in the running cost of the vehicle.

There are 5 issues here though and are as follows:
    #1 - Does not account for cost of other vehicles in similair classes.
    #2 - You must drive the car otherwise insurance adds up.
    #3 - Does not factor in wear & tear.
    #4 - End of Life cost isn't factored.
    #5 - USA driving environment is unique.

Japan, for example, where the car was developed and sold, is an island and as such, has a high demand for re-cycle/re-use. Where-as in the USA, we just use, abuse and refuse it - throw it away. So the cost of disposal may actually be higher in the USA.
    In USA, the picky consumer will not settle, for example, a first generation Prius - for the money, you might as well by a Yaris, save tons of money... and have a fair-value economy car.
    But the fact remains, a hybrid style car would save our economy's fuel to use in other fields and would stretch out our Earth's natural resources especially when you consider the three laws of thermo-dynamics. Our current technology can not maximize fuel effeciency so we may have to find costlier methods to combine different fuels or engine types. Mass Transit would probably prove to be the most effecient energy wise... although *blah* I hate waiting for any NYC bus although our subways are fairly quick.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Greg, I can't answer your question, but I would suggest you start a new thread instead of posting it here. It doesn't quite fit the theme of this thread (see the #1 post), and those who could answer it probably won't be looking here if they're not interested in Prius myths.

Good luck, regardless.

5. bonshawman

bonshawman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1. I traded my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (original cost, 30K), which got 14-15MPG on PREMIUM fuel.
    2. I paid 24K for the 2008 Prius #2, which is currently getting 50+MPG on REGULAR fuel.
    3. My insurance is 58.00 more for six months on the Prius than it was on the FJ.
    4. I had 10,500 miles on the FJ, and had owned it one year.
    5. Monthly payment on the Prius is <30 than the FJ

So......

if I drive the Prius the same distance as the FJ for the same period

Payments: Savings w/Prius 360.00
    Insurance: additional cost of Prius: 116.00
    Fuel savings: 700 gals of Premium in FJ: $2,380
    210 gals of Regular in Prius: $661.50

Savings with the Prius per year based on above: $1,962.50 or $163.54 per month in my pocket.

I don't need 4 wheel drive in flat Miami Florida. My two dogs fit in the back of the Prius as well as they did in the back of the FJ. The Prius intially cost 6K less than the FJ, so it seems to me that owning/operating a Prius is a good financial choice.

Toyota's have a history of longevity (my twin sister is approaching 400K original miles on her 1985 Toyota pickup which she bought new), and since the Prius has been out for a number of years, I have confidence in the potential longevity of a well driven & properly maintained Prius, same as I would have had for the FJ.

Oh...and for all those studs who have to drive huge gas-guzzling monsters,:eek: (perhaps to address some inadequacy, me thinks), fear not. They say that SIZE matters. Well, the SIZE of my wallet was the only thing that changed...it got bigger.

6. skeller

skeller New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I couldn't agree more.

7. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    well, didn't you know that a gas guzzling, air polluting hummer is better for the environment?
    yes, that is correct! :eek:

that is, even though it weighs a few times the wight of a normal car, even though it uses 6.0L hp or 6.2L V8 that has city fuel "economy" in single digits, even though it spews more emissions in one day than prius in one year -- it a enviromentaly better car!

duh?!

you people are so clueless!

how can you even think that 6 time more steel, 10 times more plastic and 20 x the rubber that goes in a hummer can somehow require more energy than energy spent on a prius?

next, you are going to tell me that the weight of the Hummer that makes them too heavy to legally drive on many community roads is not a conspiracy by those environmentalists who drive priuses.

;-)

Why, everyone should buy a car that looks like a stupid brick, then drive it ignorant of all other cars on road while the cell phone is glued to your ear because you have a hummer. hey, if you hit someone -- consider that a "road kill"
    </sarcasm>
    and, those who can still think can figure out quickly who and why was pushing hummers and other huge junk on americans:

and as far as fuel economy goes, you prius owners are just a bunch of tree huggers who want to save the planet. that is right!
    this <above clip> is how you get around CAFE standards, you just make your vehicle GVWR over 8500 lbs.
    duh!

so, everyone, repeat after me:

hummer is better than prius
    hummer is better than prius

or as George Orwell would say in his Animal Farm book:

four legs are better than two

well anyways, we kind of live in Orwellian state anyways, where double speak is way of life, thanks to the methods employed by the "ministry of the truth"

;-)

</end of sarcasm>

sorry, i could not resist, but it is simply insane to compare
    prius and hummer when it comes to fuel economy, advancement of technology and environmental impact.

but, unfortunately, i am sure that there are lots of idiots
    who actually believe that producing a prius is worse for the environment than producing a hummer.
    but hey, that is the world that we live in.

the idoit who wrote the article "hidden cost of driving a prius" have not even mentioned how much more energy and resources go in a hummer than prius, but he addressed the efficiency of assembly line.
    if he did, we will see that enviromental impact of a hummer is number of times greater than that of a prius, and not to even go in area of pollution from the tailpipe.
    from 10 X more paint that goes in hummer and 10 times more steel, 10 x more rubber and lot more plastic and leather -- how can anyone in their right mind even compare
    that waste of natural resources with "waste" that goes in a prius?

and, what prius leaves in the air in form of the pollution
    from the tailpipe in one year -- a hummer can leave in less than a day.

just think what happens when your throttle is opened halfway while you are tying to move your 9000 lbs hummer brick up the hill, while you are in wrong (automatic) gear with AC at full blow, how much raw fuel that monster spews then, and compare that to a super efficient and clean prius engine that is fly-by-wire controlled and assisted by an electric motor and a battery pack if need be?

well, all i can say is this; either the guy is an idiot or he is just a paid whore for big business that pushes gas guzzlers.
    and i am betting on later.

8. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    These are gas claims, possible myths. What do you guys think?

If you have a vehicle that shows how many miles you have to go until empty, then you may have wondered why sometimes when you fill up your tank the gas mileage monitor shows different results each time. This is why....

You should only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried way below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
    A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages:
    low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
    Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Although there's a grain of truth, I think the actual effects are going to minuscule.

Gas does expand, and the dealer makes an extra profit on the difference between the "energy gallon" he buys and the "volume gallon" he sells. However, the difference is mainly seasonal. Underground tanks are at least 2 or 3 feet underground, and I don't think their temperature is going to vary much during a single day.

Likewise, the difference in vapor created while pumping is going to tiny. It's also possible the opposite is true -- pumping slowly gives the gas more time to vaporize, so more is capture by the vapor recovery system.

Although a less-full tank on a normal car does have more vapor in it, it's not like it's a gallon vaporized. And the Prius has the bladder, so it's even less of an issue for it.

As for the last point, it's possible that you've got a sleazeball station that doesn't have filters on their pumps, but it's unlikely. They don't want to be stuck with repair bills for cars that got bad gas.

10. SumnerPrius

SumnerPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all.

I discovered this forum via the magic of Google. LOL. I have been researching and longing for a Prius for about a year. Last night we took our new ride home, after trading in our low mileage 2003 VW Eurovan Weekender. The Eurovan was a GREAT vehicle and we loved it, but after test driving the Prius and talking about it - we came to the conclusion that "it is the right thing to do."

Wound up with a 2008 Touring model Package 3 with the dark interior.

Only owned it for less than 12 hours and LOVE it!!!!!!
    :)

fileaudio likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, you CAN do a camera over-ride while driving, and many do want to, and they do. The mod that I saw was either on this board, or lexusownersclub.com and it's probably the later, because the mod also allows for watching DVD's while driving ... and I doubt that a DVD viewer has been incorporated into (even) the newer prius' yet.

12. KimFenske

KimFenske New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Prius Myths

Since purchasing a Prius, I have heard many myths about Prius performance:

1] The weight of the Prius battery pack wears-out tires fast.

2] The Prius lacks power to handle mountain terrain.

3] The Prius front-wheel-drive does not provide traction in mountain weather conditions.

4] The Prius battery pack needs replacement after a few years without any warranty coverage.

5] The Prius does not have any worthwhile fuel economy gain in the mountains.

6] The Prius is not spacious enough to provide transportation for a family.

7] The Prius provides no benefit for the environment over larger gasoline-powered vehicles.

Despite the myths, more people are being brought over to Prius. I was interviewed for the following Earth Day article:

Business & Technology | US hybrid sales up 38 percent in 2007; Prius leads the pack | Seattle Times Newspaper

13. KimFenske

KimFenske New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Prius Myths --- Tire Wear Rebuttal

Prius Tire Wear Myth

Prius is typical weight for its size. The standard tires are sufficient and can be filled as high as 44/42 psi.

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-tires.htm

Michelin Hydro edge, al litte larger and wider than factory, lost about 1/2mpg, but tye stick like glue, and after about 30000mi don't show any wear, I think they will make the 50-60000 rating.

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/prius-tires-t916.html

First, whoever told you the Prius was heavy is nuts. I wouldn't go there ever again. The Prius has a curb weight under 3000 lbs. Most SUVs are around 4000 lbs. Yup, he's nuts!

My experience is Toyota vehicle wheels may not be aligned correctly from the factory or they take a beating during shipping. That may have had an effect. Also, if you were not watching the tire pressure closely you could have worn the tires faster than normal. Toyota's recommended pressure seems to be right at the lower limit. Many have been running the Integrities at 42PSI front and 40PSI rear and report even wear. Note also that the Integrities are just about the least expensive tires Goodyear makes, so rapid wear should be expected.

Get new tires, have a "four wheel alignment" done (the front can be adjusted, but they usually just check the rear - to correct it shims are needed - not a "normal" job according to Toyota). You may want to try a little higher pressure in the tires. Never exceed the "max pressure" indicated on the sidewall. If you try a higher pressure, watch the wear of the tread. If the centre wears faster than the sides of the tread, lower the pressure, but never lower than the placard on the door jamb indicates.

Most owners get 40,000 to 60,000 mi. on tires.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fb45d/0

14. Evilshin

Evilshin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Accelaration of the Prius can be improved if Toyota had used a higher voltage battery pack... But besides that I give no credit to most of the Prius haters out there...

But why do they exist? Well, for some Canadians in Windsor, it would be because the Prius doesn't use a crappy hydromatic clutch automatic transmission, like the Saturn Aura Hybrid. Which barely does better than a non-hybrid Camary... LOL... Thus GM can't sell more of their 1922 transmission designs to the modern world...

I've had one person who says that he knows the Prius doesn't have any power, because he can't hear the transmission clunk to a lower gear when power is needed. Hmmm...

I chalk all the ignorance out there, on stupidity on the part of humanity and the comfort stupid people take in their "right" to be ignorant. The truth is not that the Prius is really fuel efficient, it's the fact that we've been sold cars thus far that are really really crappy. And we've been told that's the way it is. And we've believed them. Thus the Prius is a wakeup call to all those who have been ignorant. But who wants that wakeup call? "Wakeup, and guess what, you been an idiot..." no, it's better to stay asleep and blissful. If someone disturbs that blissfulness, bit their heads off!

As for the estimate life for a Prius... well same sort of non-engineering ignorance... eg. the ECVT is untested and will be prone to failure... um no... it's a planetary gear... not that complicated... and old design in a new application. Now that hydromatic clutch that most cars have... it's a wonder that it works at all...

Stupidity... :clock:

15. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I told my stepson I was buying a Prius, he vehemently protested. "Didn't I know that they are just like the Ford Pinto and the gas tanks explode?"

Oh, my gosh! :eek: I couldn't believe his ignorance. I totally dismissed his warning as stupid nonsense. Once I brought home my new Prius and he saw what a great car it is, I never did hear him tell me (and I hope others) about the exploding gas tanks.

16. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I started my driving with a 75 Bobcat (Mercurys' Pinto twin) and later a 79 Pinto. There's something about the shape and size of a Prius, compared to my other cars, that keeps reminding me of the Pintos.

There WAS a bit of media hysteria not too long ago about how emergency rescue workers were concerned about new, unknown risks when attending at an accident scene. Most of them should now know how to handle hybrids.

Perhaps the Pinto-Prius connection may lie in the fact that the Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega were responses to, or at least were sold as, domestic solutions to the oil crisis of the 1970s.

IMO, it was the 70's that brought us the first round of smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. Now with the current oil situation, and past the horsepower and SUV crazes of the late 1980s to present, perhaps we're going the next step to hybrids and electric vehicles.

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As an emergency responder, I will say that all of my colleagues should know how to handle them. Unfortunately not all do. But that's their fault or the fault of their agency for not assuring their training is current. The information is out there and has been for years.

And on that subject, since I didn't see this linked previously in this thread, here are Toyota's Emergency Response Guides for its hybrids. They show that, while there are some unique hazards for emergency responders, hazards are easily managed. Among the myths they dispel (to the point of this thread) is that hybrids will not kill any rescue worker, occupant, or bystander that touches the car during emergency procedures. Nor will the gas tank explode like a Pinto's.:crazy:

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Let's just cut to the core, shall we?. Why do so many myths exist? Why do so many have such incredible misconceptions about our Prius? I will throw out a few of my thoughts:

Jealous
    50+ mpg may have that affect on some.

Ignorance
    Some still have no idea what a hybrid is, or how it works.

Beyond their imagination and experience
    They just cannot believe that a mid-sized auto can be so nice, yet get such incredible fuel economy.

Pure hate for those who wish to be kind to the world in which we ALL live
    This is the big one, I would guess. For obvious and vested reasons, some industries and governments have worked to convince the public that you are somehow weak and even unpatriotic if you treat the environment well. Of course, nothing could be farther from the truth; however, propaganda machines are much, much more powerful than the collective logic of the people.

What are your thoughts?

... Brad

19. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I loved reading this thread from the beginning! "When gas gets back to $3.50 per gallon ....." someone wrote. We are way passed that number!!!!

Prius .... SOLD OUT! SUV's ..... not selling, poor trade in value.

2008 Prius bought May 3rd, 2008 ....... Loving it!
    2005 MINI Cooper "Hendrix" :hippie:bought used July 2007 ...... loves to corner! Fun to drive!
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4.8 V-8 basic 8 foot bed, no frills work truck .... 4x4 for Winter and hauling when required.
    1996 Impala SS Show Car :second:..... 2 tons of V-8 fun that loves her status as a garage queen collectible signed by :angel:Dale Earnhardt Senior! Not Burgandy or Black .... she is GREEN.
    1983 FXDG Harley..... 1 of 811 made. :D

I love all our vehicles in there own special ways. :clap2:

Thanks for a great thread. At $4 per gallon I find I do not have to defend the Prius very often! :amen:

20. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would venture to say most non-Prius owners believe the myths about the the life of the hybrid battery and its replacement costs being prohibitive. I know that until I started asking questions and reading available articles including Consumer Repots that I realized what the benefits were of owning a Prius....and this interest was ignited only after driving a Prius rental for a week. I still have no clue how much the battery costs but I heard (also a myth?) that the Prius in Japan and Europe have a swtich that allows the driver to use the Prius exclusively on the hybrid battery. I heard the reason that there is no switch on american models is that Toyota was required to warranty the battery for 100 k miles or eight years and running the car exclusively on the battery shortens the battery lifespan significantly.
    The other 'fear' that is perpetuated about the Prius is being in an accident and getting electrocuted. I heard that fireman feared rescues of people hurt in a Prius because they felt they could be electrocuted. I heard there are ways for the rescuers to disarm the high voltage electric current .
    Can anyone comment on any of the facts or fables?