1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius needs jump start, too often.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by William Pappas, Aug 23, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was it hamster poop?

2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    no, not unless that furry dude was about 3 feet tall! It was BIG poo-poo.

bisco likes this.
  3. William Pappas

William Pappas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, update #2. They did do a different test on the battery. Still good. Found a parasitic draw from a dome light switch. For now problem fixed. Manger said if by chance it happens again the manager said not to jump it off but to have it towed, so that they can analyse it. Feels like the jump off itself may mask the problem possibly. If it occurs again I will post.

I have my trepidation about dealerships and service departments. But frankly in this case I have no reason to complain. They did not try and sell me services or components I did not need. I think they went above and beyond. I am a pretty happy dad so far.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great news(y)...but,
    has someone fully charged the battery?
    (And, isn't the body ECU supposed to shut off the dome light after 20 minutes?:confused:)

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND....your battery is STILL 5 years old.
    Even if it wasn't the cause of the problem this time, it likely soon WILL BE because letting them go flat causes premature aging.

ITBland likes this.
  6. William Pappas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How often do y’all recommend charging the starting battery? Wil battery minder/tender top it off properly? Or do I need to use my regular charger?

Also I will be placing a new battery in for piece of mind.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We are often driving only every second, third, even fourth day, and starting on any driveless day i hook up a CTEK 4.3, and it stays on until the next time we drive. A bit extreme maybe. It's the kind of charger you can leave on indefinitely.

William Pappas and ITBland like this.
  8. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, but two dealers have tested it a total of three times. They could have tried to make money by selling him a new one, but chose to report it as good. My car is on its original 8-year-old 12V battery and has no sign of trouble, despite accidentally draining it flat twice two years ago. I don't tickle charge it, and often go days between driving it, especially the past winter, when it was driven more like once per week.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Living where it never gets REALLY hot.....or only stays there for a few hours.....will give it a few years of extra life.
    But you are on the edge at 8 years even with that.

Mr. Murphy says that when it DOES fail, it likely will be at the most inconvenient time.

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Consider this: Leaving it connected to a battery tender ALL THE TIME will likely result in it always starting right up every day when first leaving the safety and comfort of your garage........even after the battery is almost totally gone.
    Then you drive somewhere, take an hour to eat lunch or buy groceries and come back out to find it DEAD.

While that sounds like a good thing to do, it often is NOT in the long run.

My "road car", also a hybrid, sits unused sometimes for 6 weeks in a row.
    I connect the tender every 3 weeks or so long enough for the green light to come on.......and then disconnect it again.

ITBland likes this.
  11. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is actually a California car. It spent its first 6 years between Southern CA and the Bay Area, plus another summer in New England. I know the warning signs. I'll change it when it gets to the point that it gives me trouble starting up after sitting a long time, which is the most likely scenario based on my experience with it so far. In that case, it would be very convenient, since it would be sitting in my garage, and I have another car to drive. It will die at some point, and I'm happy to see how long it lasts without binning it prematurely.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well it's an ongoing science/chemistry experiment for me. Coming up on 3 years young. It's an Optima Yellow Top, CCA heavy and amp hours light, I've heard. I checked it the other morning (before connecting charger, and after the car had been for a good drive, with a Solar BA5. The voltage was around 12.65 (a little low for that battery style), and the CCA was over 600 (it's rated 450).

It's a consumable, and if I run it into the ground in another year or two, I'll replace with a Canadian Tire Motomaster next time around:

upload_2018-8-27_7-4-47.png

Automotive | Canadian Tire

Geesh, the price on these is climbing; it was under $200 (CDN) last time I looked, a couple of years back I guess. I'm not sure who's making the CT battery, at one time I was think it was a rebadged:

Exide FP-AGM51JIS

But I'm not really sure, think I found some other clues more recently.

13. William Pappas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok been looking locally and online. Keep coming back to the local Pepboys. They have a Bosch AGM battery that will end up less than $160 installed, with special discount.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all of the advice.
    Billy

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Several owners on here seem to be happy with that choice.

Regardless of what you get, make SURE that it is fully charged before installing it.

ITBland and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would wait on installing a new one till you know that the parasitic drain is really fixed. Wouldn't want to drain flat a brand new battery.

William Pappas and Mendel Leisk like this.