1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Needs New Coolant System. What To Do...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by EveGirl13, Jan 12, 2023.

1. EveGirl13

EveGirl13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for advice on what I should do with my 2011 Prius. After weeks of having to refill my low coolant fluid I finally took it into the shop. Apparently its a blown head gasket, and the coolant has been leaking into the engine. Well of course it needs a whole new system rebuild. I got a quote for everything needed from the shop totaling $5,640. I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap, but god damn! I'm looking for advice on what the best course of action should be. Should I shop around and see if I can get it cheaper? Do I say screw it and sell it "as is" to someone mechanically inclined? Buy a rebuilt engine and find someone to install? I am not mechanically inclined at all. I can do basic things from watching YouTube and that's it. So any advice would be helpful. I posted the picture of what exactly it needs and the prices from the shop. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since budget wasn’t mentioned so it’s not a concern, withdraw $65,000 and buy a new Tesla model Y. A member here recommends that, I’m just repeating his suggestion.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Without periodic cleaning of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system, say every 50k, you’ll likely have another blown head gasket, within 10k~20k. My 2 cents, it’s the EGR that’s responsible for the blown gaskets.

And almost no pros will do EGR cleaning for a reasonable price, which would be around $500. It’s basically some patient/thorough carbon cleanout that’s needed, and the components are somewhat tricky to get out.

In your shoes, I’d say best course is to sell it and move on to something else. Maybe other than Toyota? They did their EGR beta testing on 3rd gen owners, and no compensation.

(first 2 links in my signature have more info. If on a phone turn it landscape to see signature.)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The list doesn't include replacing the pistons and rings, and resleeving the block.

You should consider a short block or completely rebuilt engine with the revised pistons and rings.

Available from places like Hybrid Pit, they'll ship the engine out to the lower 48.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Only warranted with advanced oil consumption?

If DIY’ing the block, this shopping list is interesting. It’s USD $’s, a US dealership about 50~60 miles distant from us. You’d either be going with items 1 through 3, or 3 and 4.

4C6B4E80-E014-4C57-9436-5E6BEAE43B28.jpeg

Either way it’d be prudent to replace head bolts, but they were listed as unavailable…

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sleeves are spiny.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Really not enough information. How many miles? Sounds like the mechanic is going down the path of overheating as a cause for the head gasket failure, which could caused a warped cylinder head. Don't know why you need new ignition coils.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You were getting a $2000 head gasket repair for the price of a complete rebuild which is not what is listed on your sheet.

In reality a complete rebuild with pistons and rings is what you need and in some markets you can get it for about $4000.

Do some serious shopping and don't be afraid to go out of town.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does OP have oil consumption, and if not is a block rebuild warranted? Could well be serious oil consumption, but no mention so far.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The only real fix includes the pistons, rings and updated intake with the rebuild done by a builder who verifies everything before reinstalling.

Otherwise the hg job will repeat months to several years down the line. Usually after the 90 day to 12 month warranty expires. The dealers have always known this; others are starting to catch on. Obviously a gen4 is far better but not the halfway gen3/4 frankenstein versions.