1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius needs rear brakes at 38k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GreenMaterialism, Jun 24, 2014.

1. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius has just rolled over 38k, and developed a consistent brake drag noise from the rear. At parking lot speeds it is scrape, scrape, scrape... Loud enough to turn heads. At speed, it's a constant scraping noise, which only goes away while braking. Of course this started happening two days after bringing it in to the dealership for its oil change and checkup , which it passed just fine.

So I'm back at the dealership, looking at a bill for $400 to replace the rear pads and rotors. The service guy said the rear pads were worn on an angle, so that one edge cut into the rotors.

Further, he insists that replacing the pads and rear rotors is to be expected at this mileage. (Says front pads have 4mm left, so they're due soon too.) I'm very surprised by this, as I recall that a selling point when new was that the car won't need brake pads for at least 100k, since the regen takes care of so much braking.

So what's the story? Should a Gen III need brakes every 30-35k as the tech says?

(FWIW, the car sees pretty average use. Very little "city" driving, and lots of 50-400 mile hauls, so I expected the brakes to last MUCH longer. Totally willing to be wrong though...)

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    depends on how you drive, I have 73k and have not touched my brakes. But every 30-35k is very rare

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are occasional reports of early brake wear, not sure of any conclusion. might be road salt, but it's just too rare for anyone to investigate. sorry you are one of the victims. make sure they show you what they are talking about, or get a second opinion. all the best!(y)

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you forgetting to release the e- brake. I do now a then!H

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The mechanic is full of manure. There is no good reason why the brakes are in this condition at this point from normal driving.

2. Pads DO NOT wear unevenly unless there is an install or wheel alignment issue. Sounds like you had a mechanical defect from day one that SHOULD have been covered under the warranty.

Toyota SHOULD repair the alignment issue and repair the brakes under warranty. Misaligned rotors ARE NOT normal and should never be that way from ordinary use or lack of physical damage (e.g., from an impact to the wheel).

6. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ^ I agree that no way you should be replacing any brakes this early - much less the rear brakes before the front.

Either something is very wrong, or your dealer is taking you to the bank.

7. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Get a second opinion!

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like posted you may have severe corrosion issue. Not sure where you live as you didn't bother to post in your avatar.

Take a picture of the front rotors through the wheel spokes so we can see how corroded the brake system is. But 38K is low even for a regular car.

Did you buy this car new or is it a salvage title?

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There have been reports of rear pads seizing up in the brackets, and therefore, causing unusual wear. Given your location's climate, this is definitely a possibility. This is an unfortunate side effect of having rear disc brakes on a car that rarely uses the friction brakes -- the rears do not get enough use.

I am not sure about the fronts. I am at 91k on my 2011 and I am down to 3.5mm in the front, but still have 7mm on the rears.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pop the wheels off and see for yourself how they look?

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My rear pads needed replacing at 60,000 miles.

But I am heavy on my brakes and as such the front pads were replaced at 30,000 and then 60,000. So for just your rears to be needing replacement at 38k would indicate a problem; probably rust and corrosion due to salt in winter?

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That figure is a bit more realistic, though.

This is also why you should rotate your own tires ever 5K. You get the chance to inspect your brakes and rotors. If your tires were being rotated on schedule, whoever did it should have caught there was a problem.

13. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the thoughts and replies. The car has spent it's live in PA and upstate NY, so road salt may well be a part of the equation. Front pads (original) are currently at ~5mm. What "The Critic" is describing is how the service advisor explained it to me. He said something about the pads being stuck or seized on a pin, causing them to wear on an angle. Further, he said that at a glance, it would appear that the pad had more life left, because the visible edge was the thicker side.

I did ask the advisor if this was normal or how to avoid it in the future, and he suggested thoroughly cleaning and lubing the brakes to make sure it doesn't happen again. Sounds a hair fishy to me - he was really dancing around the idea of this being "normal." To me it's simple: Is this how the brakes were intended to work? If yes, fine. If no, fix it under warranty.

Not pleased about it, but went ahead with replacing the pads and rotors because I was leaving for a long trip within the week, and swamped at work; just didn't have time to do it myself, or take it squealing on a road trip to another stealership 50 miles away. Live and learn I guess. I'll certainly be giving the pads a much closer inspection each time I rotate the tires now...

KennyGS likes this.
  14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree that does sound fishy. I'd save all the paperwork in case they release a TSB or recall later.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The main thing that can cause early, uneven wear on pads is a caliper that's not free to move. And the main thing causing that is the caliper pins being neglected. They should be pulled out, cleaned and relubed periodically. Couple this with a check of the pad and disk condition, you won't have problems. A casual glance over during tire rotation is not a brake inspection.

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never heard the term "Misaligned rotors"?
    I'm guessing you mean "warped" rotors? As far as I know- there's no way to re-align "Misaligned rotors".

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bro in-law lives upstate NY and they use tons of road salt from Sept-March. He goes through exhaust parts like they're made out of paper- and we have to cut the parts off with the torch/cutoff wheel they're so rusted!
    I'd bet on corrosion due to road salt... frozen caliper or corroded piston not retracting enough to keep the pad off the rotor (or a combination of both).

18. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In upstate NY this is not surprising, and is common on all cars. Most rear brakes don't see as much use as the fronts, and are of a different design where the pins that locate the pads and allow them to float in and out with the piston are susceptible to corrosion. If that pin corrodes, the pad may be locked against the rotor, perhaps at an angle, which will wear the pad funny, may wear the rotor funny, and with no more regular pad to rotor contact to remove it,serious corrosion may set in. I think that's all that has happened here.

Out of curiosity, do you park primarily on gravel, dirt or grass?

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $400 is actually not a bad dealer price for rear pads and rotors.
    True.....a good independent shop could have shaved $100 off of that price, but the shocking thing is that brakes for a non-NASCAR/renal car could possibly need to be replaced at 38K.

I have an Envoy with over 150K miles on the original brakes and rotors, and I do NOT drive like your typical Prius owner!!!

I would launch an immediate and thorough investigation for the cause of this failure, and I would also investigate this car's pedigree to determine if the previous owner saw too many "Fast and Furious" movies or was a NASCAR fan.

Good Luck!

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Especially considering Prius brake work can trigger codes, might need techstream.