1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius needs rear brakes at 38k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GreenMaterialism, Jun 24, 2014.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    THIS IS THE KEY!

The problem with any "long life" service interval is that stuff can happen between those times. Brakes (IIRC) should be inspected every 20K or once a year. Heck, every tire rotation (5K) puts you in position to inspect the brakes. This means TAKING THE CALIPER OFF and looking at the pads IF you can't get a good sight on them to see how they are wearing. If the pin(s) can be pulled without removing the caliper, take one out at a time and clean/lube/reinsert.

A few hours of tinkering will prevent problems later. Only if you live someplace "clean" and keep a car in the garage will you likely go the whole interval with no problems.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, it can be worse.

I have a Mazda pickup truck. Two winter's back, we had a bad snow, and I ran over a downed grounding wire from a power pole. It wrapped around my rear axle and ultimately stretched a parking brake cable.

Over $500 in parts and mechanic fees later and my parking brake still doesn't work right. Everything has been replaced. There was so much slack in the cable (post-repair) that I had to use cable clamps and a turnbuckle to shorten the cable so that it is tight when it engages. Replaced the rear drum hardware as well. Basically, before the mod, it would work a couple times and then barely hold when the pedal is to the floor. With the mod I (and others) have done, between applying the brake and leaving it in gear, it seems to hold on slight to moderate inclines, but I can never trust the parking brake again.

EVERYTHING is spec (supposedly...no lengths are given in the parts manual). This is a problem EVERY Ranger and B-series owner has IF they ever have to "fix" the parking brake. Nobody can figure out why.

#22 qdllc, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014