1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius New to Me, Lots of Error Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zapman, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Zapman

Zapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I need help interpreting error codes.

I have a 2009 Prius Base, it has 143,000 or so. I knew it had issues when I bought it, but have been fixing them one by one. I recently replaced the inverter coolant pump to solve one issue, and I want to tackle another set of codes.

I have the check engine light on and found the following ABS related codes: C0200, C0205, C1241, C1249 and C1300. No other warning lights are on at this point. Believing that so many codes might be an indication that the ABS is not getting power, I have checked the ABS fuses under the hood, removing each and checking them with a meter. All were good. What should I check next? Could a bad relay be the issue? Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

Zapman

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! are you using tech stream and the service manual?

3. Zapman

Zapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not yet have the service manual, but I do have the Techstream software.

I may have figured out the problem. I did not clear the DTC errors after I replaced the inverter coolant pump. When that pump failed, I had all kinds of warning lights, including a Beep with a brake warning. Since the inverter had overheated and the 12V battery was getting drained, a bunch of errors got recorded that may not actually be errors at all.

With all those ABS related codes, the warning lights would likely be on, but they weren't after the pump replacement.

I just went in and cleared all the errors to see if they pop back up.

I am thinking that those won't.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you charge the 12 V battery up after this discharge event?

What is the state of its health now? Charge the 12 V battery up to full and then measure the voltage with a DMM at the jump point under the hood after the car has sat unused overnight. Note a report this voltage. Then put the car in IG-ON with the headlights and rear window demister on, measure the voltage again, what did the voltage settle on? Note this voltage and report as well. If it does not stabilise and continues to drop below 10.5 V stop the test, your battery needs replacement. If it holds a voltage above 11.7 V, you need to monitor the battery regularly and externally charge on a regular (fortnightly, monthly) basis. If this all sounds too much, buy a new OEM battery or and Exide Edge AGM.

Hope that helps.

6. Zapman

Zapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I fully charged the battery (an Optima) before proceeding, and yes, the charger can handle that type of battery. I'm down to two major errors that came back after clearing. P1116 and P1121. I ordered the coolant control valve, and I'll replace it. I have already checked coolant level, and it was up to the full line in tank and in neck of radiator, as I read a low coolant level can cause these errors.

I want to thank all the people who've posted in the past, as I've learned an incredible amount just by searching and reading old posts. I've been poking around for a few months, as I was new to the Prius.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I hope not to bother folks too much, just when a search turns up nothing useful.

bisco likes this.
  7. Zapman

Zapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I replaced the coolant control valve without draining the entire system using clamps on the hoses. The stuff that did leak out looked pretty good. The car didn't come with a complete service record, but it appears that the fluid was changed recently. Once the valve was in, I reset the DTC errors and none have reappeared! I did notice something I should have noticed earlier though. The seal that goes around the rear hatch opening is missing. I found a used one to install, and after that, the car should be bullet proof for quite awhile. Buying a used car is always an adventure!

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! all the best.(y)

9. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, well done. Keep an eye on the engine oil level. That car at that mileage will probably start consuming oil soon if it hasn't already (not to worry, it's pretty normal). Also take a look at the brake fluid. If it's not clear, flush it. Consider transaxle oil change too.