1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius newb saying hello

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dubit, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Saying hello. Found this site while searching for shudder & lurching issues on a 2016 Prius C. (She goes into the shop Wednesday). Love the car, but something is badly wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed.... and a bit worried I may have made a mistake. I'm a new Prius owner, but not new to Prius. Worked in the dealership for years (no longer however). Driven Toy's now for nearly 20 years!

keymusic and Burna J like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck anything should be covered...and Welcome! Pretty rare to hear an issue like that.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to this insane asylum.

keymusic, Montgomery and Got2bHam like this.
  4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, must be. Not a single reply and only a few views to my question in the Prius C troubleshooting forum.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. I am a pretty new Prius driver and do not have any helpful suggestions.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

7. Jeremiah jewell

Jeremiah jewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dubit, what did you pay out the door for your tangerine splash Prius c? I just purchased mine today! When did you buy it? What trim is it?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Greetings, from one of the several fossils that have been around since nearly time immortal !
    ;)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi ya! Love the orange! Should be fixed easily, i haven't heard too much about any issues like that. It's covered so no worries there! Best of Luck!

10. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Picked it up last September. It was an impulse buy. Stopped in at the dealership to chat with a couple friends on my way home. (I had previously worked there.) I didn't even know what it was when I first seen it, but I liked the color! If I remember correctly, I think I walked out of there somewhere close to 16K on the price. Had a trade (old Yaris which I still miss). Trim level Two on the Prius btw.

She's sitting outside right now covered in snow and ice... Enjoy your new Prius - I'm finding the display a bit distracting, and almost think it's made me a worse driver. lol But I'm still trying to learn how to drive this thing and squeeze out as much mpg as I can. It's almost like a challenge to see how high I can get the mpg's. (though it is getting worse with the cold temps, but I expected that) Also taking my sons advice to keep the battery as fully charged as I can on these cold days.

RCO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the traction battery?

12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    New to Prius here - if the traction battery is the one that drives the electric motor then yes. I know the car is new, and the battery is still under warranty. But figure I may as well do what I can to make it last as long as possible. Talking with my son and the other techs at his dealership (Honda), plus the guys at my old workplace (Toyota), the all agree it's best to have it as fully charged as possible on these single digit winter nights. They are NIMH batteries correct?

Do most hybrid vehicle drivers not worry about this? *charge level on extreme cold days*

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome dubit! I know very little about Prius' in general except what I learned here. I do feel your issue is unusual and should be covered, whatever may be causing it.

14. Jeremiah jewell

Jeremiah jewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same here, Prius c2. Now are you saying 16k after trade-in? Or 16k before deducting trade in? How much did they give you on the trade in? I drove an hour in the snow from work and got 54mpg, I too like the challenge.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the computers take care of the battery, there's no need to try to keep it fully charged. the only thing you may be doing is hurting your gas mileage. if toyota beleved that a full battery was beneficial, they would have programmed it that way. but how can a full battery contribute to efficiency without depleting?

16. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    16K after trade - car was sold to me at invoice price.

Jeremiah jewell likes this.
  17. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the computer takes care of charging the battery, but what I'm speaking of is battery longevity. While speaking to the techs, they have all told me that extreme cold tends to shorten this life. It's cold here (very cold) for about 4 months of the year. If I can extend this batteries life by doing what I can to keep it charged, then I would prefer to do what I can. So far, I've only seen about a 6 mpg difference. Something else I've noticed with this cold weather. The battery tends to lose it's charge really fast. But then, I notice that with any battery powered device in the cold.

So on my final stretch on my drive to work or home, I tend to nudge the accelerator pedal just enough to get the engine to kick in, or apply my brakes way too early and slow down like an 80 year old grandmother. So I can get as much energy back into it as possible before sitting in this cold. Still hovering around 50mpg's, so I'm happy.

RCO likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)